Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

My wife has owned her F-Pace since 2016. We paid MSRP for it at the time and special ordered it. It appears i-Pace sales are slow. I just missed the opportunity today to buy a CPO HSE at my local dealership here in Louisiana as it was sold on Saturday. They only have one new 2020 on the lot. We don't care for the wheels or the color and they are only marking it off $12,000. That seems like a good amount but when you read through the forums people were getting well over $20,000-$25,000 off. Have the incentives on these come to a crawl or are they starting to move again? Is the inventory low so that is why the prices are not better? Anyone have any leads on new 2019s or 2020s. I have contacted a few dealers for their "new 2019" inventory and the warranty started moving 1.5 years ago. If I purchase one of those, I would reasonably need to purchase an extended warranty. Who even offers extended warranty on these? I have found a few "used" 2019s and 2020s with less than a thousand miles, but then again I am concerned that 1.5 years or so of the warranty is already gone. I look forward to hearing any current thoughts.

Reactions: BEOFGOD

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with your concerns regarding the warranty. If I had to pay for all the repairs that were conducted by the dealer I would be broke. New main battery, new front struts, new rear brakes, replacement of the wiring harness, minor things like the little air deflector things in front of the rear wheels etc.

Personally I am not that worried about the recalls/repairs as I figure this is the price of being on the bleeding edge of technology. As long as the factory is backing it up they can replace all they want. Now once the warranty is up, however, I might be singing a different tune.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now that a number of issues in Pivi Pro seem to have been resolved in the 2.06 update I would be tempted to hold off for a MY21 unless steering assist is the most important feature for you. A lot of annoyances with Pivi have apparently been resolved and it is in my opinion a far better and more usable system given my limited skirmishes with touch pro equipped cars.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
137 Posts
At this point I'm starting to suspect that we might see JLR just skip to the 2022 mode year here in the states.
I agree about holding off. The greatly enhanced rear visibility compliments of the (optional) clear sight mirror is a huge upgrade too.

There is generally much less motivation from dealerships to move these cars at present. There are 360 I-Paces in dealer inventory nationally. There was over 1,200 back in June.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At this point I'm starting to suspect that we might see JLR just skip to the 2022 mode year here in the states.
I agree about holding off. The greatly enhanced rear visibility compliments of the (optional) clear sight mirror is a huge upgrade too.

There is generally much less motivation from dealerships to move these cars at present. There are 360 I-Paces in dealer inventory nationally. There was over 1,200 back in June.
Yes I have the clearsight mirror and imagine the rear visibility is awful without it.

Isn't a US model year generally a year ahead of Europe so a UK MY21 would be a US MY22?

That was certainly how it always worked with GTRs

·
Registered
2020 Firenze Red SE, 9/2019 Build
34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree that inventories have mostly cleared since I got a ridiculous deal on an S back in late September. Anecdotally, in SF I had only seen two others until about three weeks ago. I've seen 5 on the roads in past 10 days, 4 with dealer plates.

Numbers on my deal from BMC in SF - -off top of head except payment:
Note: posted previously that this was an insane deal on JLR deadstock, have posted elsewhere on forum about how I got it.

Decently optioned iPace S (all it was missing from other S models on lot that I cared about was power liftgate (which is ridiculous not to have on base) and rims (have grown to love the 18s on rough stuff)
36 mo lease / 7500 mi per year (math favorable on 10k/yr cost even if I pay to make up diff on back end)

Sticker: $76,xxxx
Discounts: ~$24xxx
Tax Credit: $7500
Cap Cost: $44,250
$0 down
$2200ish in fees and taxes (after PGE rebate check)
$454/mo incl tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the CPO iPace that we wanted to buy that was sold is now back up for sale. The person buying it was from out of state and seems to have COVID and backed out per the dealer. We should have it later today. Same dealer we bought our F-pace new. Gave me a strong trade value. 2019 with under 3000 miles HSE MSRP was at 87,000. CPO, I am paying $1650 to add the 7th year CPO so will have warranty for 5 years 8 months. Cost 52888+1650. I feel this is reasonable based on the comparisons as the used and new inventory is nothing like it was months ago. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
55 Posts
I’m selling my First Edition HSE I-Pace with 5500 miles if you’re interested. 4.5 years left on warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
55 Posts
The new standard range model Y released for $40k is very tempting :D

NVM just sold it today for $54.5k!

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Lefix: FWIW, a similar-spec'ed CPO 2019 HSE sold here in San Diego a few weeks ago and the final asking price listed was $55K. The HSE had 18K miles, but for private party sale, I think you did well.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
55 Posts
@DCWhitacre I Submitted my I-Pace for quotes from vroom, carvana, shift, carmax, and local dealers. All quotes came back between $43k to $48k.

Yep, not gonna keep it and watch it drop its value Down to the $30k’s by the end of this year...

Going to buy a brand new Model Y for $35k + TTL instead, and I can drive it for 3 years and sell it for $30k

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
565 Posts
@DCWhitacre I Submitted my I-Pace for quotes from vroom, carvana, shift, carmax, and local dealers. All quotes came back between $43k to $48k.

Yep, not gonna keep it and watch it drop its value Down to the $30k’s by the end of this year...

Going to buy a brand new Model Y for $35k + TTL instead, and I can drive it for 3 years and sell it for $30k
From my perspective a 3yr old I-Pace is far better than a new model Y, but everyone to their own. Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
55 Posts
@Qtown charger I do like the jag a lot, the model Y may not be as good of a vehicle but I rather spend $8k to own a 250mile range EV for 3 years than spending $30k. I just don’t have that kinda money to waste...

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
565 Posts
@Qtown charger I do like the jag a lot, the model Y may not be as good of a vehicle but I rather spend $8k to own a 250mile range EV for 3 years than spending $30k. I just don’t have that kinda money to waste...
Again, everyone to their own. I'd rather drive a quality well build vehicle for 6+ yrs and not worry about resale value.
It would seem that new tech is a risky investment with the current rate of change/improvement. My guess is that a model Y may be effectively worthless in 3yrs as battery tech improves and prices drop due to the legacy companies ramping up production of EV's.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
55 Posts
Again, everyone to their own. I'd rather drive a quality well build vehicle for 6+ yrs and not worry about resale value.
It would seem that new tech is a risky investment with the current rate of change/improvement. My guess is that a model Y may be effectively worthless in 3yrs as battery tech improves and prices drop due to the legacy companies ramping up production of EV's.
Not sure what your definition of “worthless” is but I see 2012 model S with 100k miles still selling for $25k, and statistics shows tesla battery degrade very little.

If you’re worried about the quick obsolescence of technology and improvements in battery to make a model Y “worthless”, then you bought the wrong car. Let’s say for example the industry figured out how to fully charge a 500 mile battery in 5 minutes, then If a model Y becomes “worthless”, say $5000, then I’d lose $30k, it would relent the I-Pace worthless also, which means you’d lose $50k+

Same as my previous comment. I’ll much rather Lose $20k less than ownership with the I-Pace. Thanks. And if technology has achieved those points in 3 years, then I’ll just keep the Tesla and drive it 6+ years and not worry about resale value too.

But it’s still quite a few years for battery technology to achieve those specs, and with history trends, my ownership costs for the Model Y will fall in the $2-$3k range per year vs $10k+ per year with the I-Pace, and I’ll be sitting in my inferior Model Y car much happier than the I-Pace.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
565 Posts
Not sure what your definition of “worthless” .......
....If you’re worried about the quick obsolescence of technology and improvements in battery to make a model Y “worthless”, then you bought the wrong car. Let’s say for example the industry figured out how to fully charge a 500 mile battery in 5 minutes, then If a model Y becomes “worthless”, say $5000, then I’d lose $30k, it would relent the I-Pace worthless also, which means you’d lose $50k+
Not the least concerned about obsolescence. I bought my I -Pace for the long haul (as I have all previous vehicles). I usually keep a car 10+ yrs (unless I total it). $70k over 10yrs seems a fair price to pay for a quality drive. You'll probably get about the same long term cost, but with an inferior vehicle for the second have of that period. Of course if you feel the model Y is superior to the I-Pace, then again everyone to their own and good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
55 Posts
Not the least concerned about obsolescence. I bought my I -Pace for the long haul (as I have all previous vehicles). I usually keep a car 10+ yrs (unless I total it). $70k over 10yrs seems a fair price to pay for a quality drive. You'll probably get about the same long term cost, but with an inferior vehicle for the second have of that period. Of course if you feel the model Y is superior to the I-Pace, then again everyone to their own and good luck.
The point i was trying to make is your I-Pace will be just as “worthless” as the model Y because it’s in the same era of tech. If the Model Y obsoletes then so does the I-Pace. Neither of these cars would ever appreciate in value anytime soon.

So Maybe you should’ve read my comments instead of making assumptions. I said more than once that I’d probably like the I-Pace more than the Model Y, but the model Y only costs $35k vs $55k for the I-Pace. So if I own it for 10+ years, the Model Y would’ve costed me only $35k vs $55k, but looks like you paid $70k so you paid double (ouch).

Not sure how you came up with that I’d have the same long term cost of $70k for 10 years. Since 2009 I’ve owned 28 cars and I either made a profit or I driven cars for free or relatively low losses ($1k-$3k). I’ve owned BMWs, Range Rovers, Corvettes, Benz, Audi and now a Maserati. My cost of owning all these cars in the last 11 years is effectively <$10k.

Cars are the most depreciating assets and learning how to avoid that is ideal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the pricing data, Lefix. I think I am in exactly the same situation in that I much prefer the I-Pace, being higher quality and in most ways better than a Model Y. At the same time, the Model Y is a better EV for transporting people and at a lower cost. I'm more like Qtown in that I typically keep my vehicles for >5 years. I would love to hear some insights after you get the Y. Dare I keep an eye out in the Lounge for a future post?

Back on topic (sort of), I have noticed that virtually all of the CPO inventory has disappeared on jaguarusa.com since late last year and the "pre-owned" stock has apparently been dropping. There seem to still be a decent amount of new inventory, but I don't see evidence of the strong incentives to sell this inventory I read about from the summer. Does anyone else have insight into the dealerships' motivation to sell right now?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts