Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's the link: Elon Musk claims autopilot was not used in fiery Tesla crash that killed 2 people in The Woodlands

It doesn't really matter if the car had full autopilot or the other system mentioned in the article. Whatever happened wasn't a Tesla problem but stupid drivers. I think it may explain why JLR removed the steering assist - the legal responsibility and the terrible publicity.
The 2021accident report published by Tesla clearly indicates that assisted driving reduces the deaths per kilometers, so removing such features is not a path one should follow:

"<…> we registered one accident for every 4.19 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.05 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 978 thousand miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles."

·
Registered
808 Posts
The 2021accident report published by Tesla clearly indicates that assisted driving reduces the deaths per kilometers, so removing such features is not a path one should follow:

"<…> we registered one accident for every 4.19 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.05 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 978 thousand miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles."
I'm not sure how much to trust Tesla's statistics but assuming they are correct, the bad publicity and lawsuits are costing the company money. I'm not sure why JLR removed steering assist. It was only a conjecture. We would have to know if JLR removed the feature across all models or just the I-Pace. I don't find the feature very helpful. I feel like I'm wrestling with the steering.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
648 Posts

Let's separate "cause and effect" from mere correlation. Stats can be, and in today's media environment, have been used to promote many false causes. Without further analysis this data is no more than a talking point. Meanwhile, bodies in the passenger and rear seats would seem to be quite conclusive.

Frankly, while I do used the steering assist on extended highway driving, I can see its limitations and liabilities. I keep hands on the wheel at all times, and use the feature to lessen the strain on my shoulders over multi hour trips.

With careless, risk taking drivers more interested in playing with their electronic toys than going from A to B comfortably. I can see the liability issue and would understand JLR's stance if this were the reason for dropping steering assist.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I only test drove the MY20 Model and didn’t feel like it was a bad system, but I didn’t use it very much.
i can say I used it in my BMW for 130.000km flawless. I still use it in the i8,no problems. My wife’s car has it, no problems.
I think instead of removing it, it would’ve been a good idea to improve it.
i don’t see that feature taken out on other cars. I see it available most cheaper cars even. it’s not a top notch technology anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I only test drove the MY20 Model and didn’t feel like it was a bad system, but I didn’t use it very much.
i can say I used it in my BMW for 130.000km flawless. I still use it in the i8,no problems. My wife’s car has it, no problems.
I think instead of removing it, it would’ve been a good idea to improve it.
i don’t see that feature taken out on other cars. I see it available most cheaper cars even. it’s not a top notch technology anymore.
Thanks a lot for your comment, that's my point exactly: it's now very common, it helps a lot on long motorway trips. And I do not accept the JLR vendor lying about it, pretending the safety feature LKA (lane keep assist) to be the same as the confort feature SA (steering assist aka lane assist).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Likely they just didn't know any better.

Reactions: pcst

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i can say I used it in my BMW for 130.000km flawless. I still use it in the i8,no problems.
I am confused what feature in the i8 are you referring to? Because the i8 has no steering assist, nor any adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry autocorrect. I meant to say series 8. But it’s the same system they use in all the current models down to the 1 series I think. It can selfpark, hold lanes, even drive 30m back by itself or so. All these things work great.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts