Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for H280 update and wheel balancing, rotation and alignment. The service advisor showed me the alignment report and said that initially the car was "way out" of alignment and that the left front camber, right front caster and left rear camber were still not within specs post-maintenance but not to worry because overall the alignment is better. He said that the I-Pace suspension can only be slightly changed but I can't believe that JLR would design a car that couldn't be aligned to within specs. Has anyone had their car correctly aligned or understand why the dealer couldn't obtain a correct alignment?

I've attached a copy of the report with handwritten numbers from the camber, castor areas in red that are difficult to see. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Did you feel the alignment was off when you took it in?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you feel the alignment was off when you took it in?
I didn't feel anything wrong. Every 5,000 miles I have the tires rotated and balanced and I asked them to check the alignment. The precursor was a couple of weeks ago when I had the same thing done to my Fusion and it induced a strong steering wheel vibration so the dealer performed an alignment that fixed the problem. So this time wanting to avoid a second trip I had them check the alignment.
The service advisor was very surprised by how out of alignment the car was and asked if I had curbed the tires or had driven off road. But nothing unusual had happened. I kinda wonder if their equipment is misadjusted.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I didn't feel anything wrong. Every 5,000 miles I have the tires rotated and balanced and I asked them to check the alignment. The precursor was a couple of weeks ago when I had the same thing done to my Fusion and it induced a strong steering wheel vibration so the dealer performed an alignment that fixed the problem. So this time wanting to avoid a second trip I had them check the alignment.
The service advisor was very surprised by how out of alignment the car was and asked if I had curbed the tires or had driven off road. But nothing unusual had happened. I kinda wonder if their equipment is misadjusted.
Good to know. I'm taking the car in next week so I'll ask them to check the alignment too.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
903 Posts
Raises questions: Did they forget the car has multiple height settings? Did they have the car at entry height, normal ride height, or the high setting?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
522 Posts
So the car drove fine, was there uneven wear on the tires?
I routinely use those two criteria to determine if anything needs to be done - including tire rotation. I am a firm proponent of not rotating tires, unless the alignment cannot fix a problem.
Perhaps this is an "ostrich head in the sand" philosophy, but I have not rotated tires in 37yrs of US driving and usually get 75-80k miles per set of tires. I am not expecting those numbers for the I-Pace, but I doubt tire rotation will get me many extra miles.

As I posted on another thread about 6months ago, I intend to follow the commercial guidance of rotating my tires everytime I take the car in for an oil change.🙂

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the car drove fine, was there uneven wear on the tires?
I routinely use those two criteria to determine if anything needs to be done - including tire rotation. I am a firm proponent of not rotating tires, unless the alignment cannot fix a problem.
Perhaps this is an "ostrich head in the sand" philosophy, but I have not rotated tires in 37yrs of US driving and usually get 75-80k miles per set of tires. I am not expecting those numbers for the I-Pace, but I doubt tire rotation will get me many extra miles.

As I posted on another thread about 6months ago, I intend to follow the commercial guidance of rotating my tires everytime I take the car in for an oil change.🙂
I normally rotate and balance the wheels after not doing so and the tires "cupped". The car sounded like a freight train until I replaced them with only about 15,000 miles. And by the time I notice uneven wear it's already too late.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If it drives good I would not worry too much. Not sure why the alignment cannot be made correct.
Looks like they just adjusted the easy toe angle.
Camber on the left should make up for the right castor to make it track straight. I don't thin't thing you will get bad wear out of it.
Need someone to dig into the service manual and verify these angles are not adjustable.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Yeah, not worried but more curious and it doesn't help that I don't know much about suspension settings. It did drive straight and true though.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
What's the latest on this Curt? I finally took the time to look at that printout they gave you. They were able to bring most of it into spec and where they weren't it's not much off except for the left rear camber ... just make sure you get tire warranty for 30,000 miles and have them replaced for free ;)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the latest on this Curt? I finally took the time to look at that printout they gave you. They were able to bring most of it into spec and where they weren't it's not much off except for the left rear camber ... just make sure you get tire warranty for 30,000 miles and have them replaced for free ;)
I need to contact a dedicated tire shop and ask a few basic questions. Yes, we did buy the tire and wheel warranty from the dealer and there doesn't appear to be unusual wear yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
My OEM rims are 20". Will I need another alignment when mounting 18" rims with snow tires?
I don't think so ... I've never had a problem changing between different tire sizes on my Touareg and the two should really be independent on first principles. Now it may be that some tires are more affected by misalignment than others, but I doubt there's data on it.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
121 Posts
It is not unheard of for the alignment rack sensors to be installed improperly, and to give erronous readings as a result.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is not unheard of for the alignment rack sensors to be installed improperly, and to give erronous readings as a result.
I'm thinking that this may be the situation. Even the initial measurement was very far off-specs and the car had 5,000 miles and was driven conservatively.

·
Super Moderator
2,350 Posts
But if it's the shop's sensor alignment, why did the car sound like a freight train? Yeah a second vet's opinion on the kitty's ail(ign)ment is probably warranted ...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But if it's the shop's sensor alignment, why did the car sound like a freight train? Yeah a second vet's opinion on the kitty's ail(ign)ment is probably warranted ...
Sorry if my post was unclear. The I-Pace was fine. It was a previous experience with a 92 Buick Regal that cupped the tires.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The lesson from the old Regal has been with me for 28 years. Perhaps tires and suspension technology have improved so that I don't need to balance/rotate and check alignment every 5,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts