Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently saw a post about small cracks in the underside of the exterior door handles. One owner reported 3 of 4 with cracks, the second had all four handles cracked. I tried searching both places for door handles and cracks but cannot find the post (with pictures) anywhere. There is some mention of the same issue on the UK Forum.

I checked my door handles yesterday when I thought about it and sure enough I have one door handle that has the crack in it. I couldn't get a decent picture of it, but it is a semi-circular crack, close to the center on the underside lip of the door handle. It hasn't caused me any issues, but on the UK forum it was mentioned as a possible cause of sticking handles that prevent retraction/extension.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I recently saw a post about small cracks in the underside of the exterior door handles. One owner reported 3 of 4 with cracks, the second had all four handles cracked. I tried searching both places for door handles and cracks but cannot find the post (with pictures) anywhere. There is some mention of the same issue on the UK Forum.

I checked my door handles yesterday when I thought about it and sure enough I have one door handle that has the crack in it. I couldn't get a decent picture of it, but it is a semi-circular crack, close to the center on the underside lip of the door handle. It hasn't caused me any issues, but on the UK forum it was mentioned as a possible cause of sticking handles that prevent retraction/extension.

Anyone else?
Yes, I had this on my first I-Pace and door handles for stuck and would pop when retracting. I just picked up my replacement I-Pace but haven't checked the door handles. Slipped my mind.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep, mine are cracked.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I felt under my door handles. What it seemed to me were complete circular slightly raised borders around an area (or maybe a slightly depressed area making the border different) that I'm guessing had been sealed over with a heated plastic or was some trim left after an extrusion slag was cut, but not quite flush.

It did not seem like a crack, but a fabrication residue, for a cover of likely an internal vertical cylindrical hole in the handle, where the hardware connecting the handle to the mechanism is seated.

Or is this different from what others are describing?

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I felt under my door handles. What it seemed to me were complete circular slightly raised borders around an area (or maybe a slightly depressed area making the border different) that I'm guessing had been sealed over with a heated plastic or was some trim left after an extrusion slag was cut, but not quite flush.

It did not seem like a crack, but a fabrication residue, for a cover of likely an internal vertical cylindrical hole in the handle, where the hardware connecting the handle to the mechanism is seated.

Or is this different from what others are describing?
Not mine, but this is a picture of the problem and it doesn’t seem to be isolated, just unrecognized due to the location of the crack

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
303 Posts
I had to have the covers replaced on the driver side (my dog REALLY wanted into the car one day when he was scared). The first time the body shop tried to paint them (before mounting on the car of course) one of them shattered. They are apparently REALLY fragile.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not mine, but this is a picture of the problem and it doesn’t seem to be isolated, just unrecognized due to the location of the crack

Ok, that's not what I felt, and I didn't feel anything like that on my four door handles.

Thanks for the helpful picture. I wonder if they are coming already cracked from the install or develop the cracks with use?

I hope if I don't have them now I don't develop them later. I will take an actual look now to see if there is any visual evidence that is too flush to feel.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mine doesn’t have cracks either, early Jan 19 production run. But then again I have never left it out in the cold in freezing temperatures. Could water/ice have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I had to have the covers replaced on the driver side (my dog REALLY wanted into the car one day when he was scared). The first time the body shop tried to paint them (before mounting on the car of course) one of them shattered. They are apparently REALLY fragile.
You should share the whole dog story. It's hilarious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine are not cracked but I got home last night and I only have three now. I just spoke to Service, parts, service voice mail, to try to find out whether my warranty covers, pieces of my car falling off. No one seems to be able to answer the question.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geez that better be covered by warranty
the lens on my front grille camera has been missing since I took delivery of the car (I didn't notice until the next day when I was showing the car to my wife). The dealership initially said they would 'replace it'. Now 6 months later they said they will still replace it, but that didn't mean at their cost. I'm expected to pay for it...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
@stubbsz, @Dantrium: That can't be, can it? I have had many brands of cars at many price points, and I don't think I EVER had to argue for a part falling off so early in ownership that it was not covered under warranty. I don't mean hit damage, but it seems both yours were simple assembly issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@stubbsz, @Dantrium: That can't be, can it? I have had many brands of cars at many price points, and I don't think I EVER had to argue for a part falling off so early in ownership that it was not covered under warranty. I don't mean hit damage, but it seems both yours were simple assembly issues.
you would think so, right? I haven't really pushed them on the issue yet, but as far as I'm concerned it is a manufacturing issue and should be covered by warranty. I'm not optimistic I will get it resolved as easily as it should. There is another user that had a tire blow-out which he states was not caused by any impact and he is getting the complete run around by his dealer and JLR.

Yesterday when I dropped my car off to get the laundry list of issues addressed, I told the service guy I want to ensure all the software is updated and asked if he could tell me if there has been an update on telematics above 15.2 and he looked at me like I was crazy and emphatically stated they do not update software unless there is a warranty issue requiring it. I asked if he could ensure SOTA was enabled and he again said there would be no changes in the software unless it was a warranty requirement to do so and that includes enabling SOTA...

It doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
903 Posts
SOTA is an advertised feature. Failure to enable it might constitute a reason for a fraud complaint.

Jaguar even registered a document with NHTSA that it would be enabled on cars where it hadn't been done (early production).

Every part on the car not a "normal wear and tear" item, or damaged by accidents, is covered for 5 years/60K miles. Door handle pieces are not wear and tear; certainly not withing the first year of use. An assembly method, or out of spec part, has cause these to crack and apparently fall off in extreme cases. One of mine is cracked on the underside, too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
#Dantrium: I do have to wonder if some of these is simply do to lack of training and having no idea about the whole idea of firmware updates. I know how untrained the sales people are who knows about the service people.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
#Dantrium: I do have to wonder if some of these is simply do to lack of training and having no idea about the whole idea of firmware updates. I know how untrained the sales people are who knows about the service people.
Absolutely is a lot of the problem and it is an apparent lack of desire to deal with learning about them. It isn’t too surprising when you consider what a small fraction of the business the I-Pace currently is; I sense many at the dealers do not believe it will ever be a big seller. This dealer has 5 IPaces on the lot and they are all relegated to the back corner. It reminds me how the H-D dealers treated Buells once they bought them out.

They only have one technician trained on the I-Pace. I called to check on the car today and he said they have been updating every module they can and even after 10 hours updating they aren’t close to being done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got caught up in their "process", they won't just order the part when you tell them the issue; I had to make a service appointment and come in, knowing full well that I'd be there for an hour and drive off again with nothing really happening. So it's under warranty and they have to order it. Service folks seemed efficient and friendly once you are in their process.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts