Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would safely guess there are way more early build cars without problems then there are with problems. I have not seen anything that would demonstrate the build date has impacted reliability.

If the car had been titled, then I would be reluctant. But if they are selling as a previously untitled car, it would qualify for the $7500 tax credit. So if you can get it $30k off MSRP + the tax credit. Holy ** that is a ** of a deal. I would consider buying another one at that price!

Honestly you are well protected as far as defects from a warranty & Lemon Law perspective and at that price point you are not going to lose excessive value on the car.

I would insist they put it on Pathfinder and update ALL software, not just the 3 the consumer can see.

Maybe see if you can spend a weekend with it before plunking down the cash?
I bought a CPO 2 months ago. It is a every early build 2019 FE with 4600 miles. It is never titled so qualify for $7500 tax credit. I took a chance as it has everything I wanted and it is hard to pass 33k off the list. At time I had a deposit on Tasla Y and got a $50000 trade in offer for the I pace. So in the worse case, I figure I can trade it for a Y without lose any money with $7500 tax credit. So far I had 1200 miles on it and no issues. The problem is now it is hard for me to consider Y after driving the I pace, even if it give me some problems. So far so good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you! Not tested yet. going on tomorrow most likely. Irked so far at how unresponsive they have been. these days on top of everything else!
any input on the "risk" for an very early 2019 build? I am not sure there is consensus on here on whether earlier build have had poorer reliability or to any kind of reliable measure.... Many on here got their i-Pace at the begining and seems to have been very happy. happy to hear everyone's thoughts. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Insist on the latest software updates and you should be good.
Try the one-pedal driving; in the settings, set Regen to high and select "no creep". Have fun!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Agree with @sciencegeek

You're also in California so the lemon laws in your favor, but JLR is good about buy backs.
Very little risk

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
28 Posts
You are correct. My VIN is 75XXX which is April 2019 build date. 60XX is a 2018 build date which have a very, very high probability of a of being a lemon. The fact that its a CPO gives it an even higher chance of being a lemon. Why does the dealer have this car on the lot?

Batteries that sit for a year will also give you a higher chance of a bad battery.

These are compliance cars that were really rushed to market, so early models can be a problem.

I did 6 months of research before getting my car. There is no other EV I would rather have that's out now, but no way I would touch an early build I-Pace
So is there a consensus about what VIN numbers are "good" vs. "questionable? There are incredible deals out there on 2019's, but the VIN's I've seen do seem to be in the 60000 to 65000 range. They are showing as new and CPO, mostly "new" but do have thousands of miles on them like they were dealer cars or something and probably were never titled.

Other 2019's have VIN's above 70000 and the discounts on them are not as large. Mileage on them is minimal or a couple of hundred miles.

The great deals are enticing, to say the least, but obviously I want to be driving the car, not giving it to the shop until it is declared a lemon.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
So is there a consensus about what VIN numbers are "good" vs. "questionable? There are incredible deals out there on 2019's, but the VIN's I've seen do seem to be in the 60000 to 65000 range. They are showing as new and CPO, mostly "new" but do have thousands of miles on them like they were dealer cars or something and probably were never titled.

Other 2019's have VIN's above 70000 and the discounts on them are not as large. Mileage on them is minimal or a couple of hundred miles.

The great deals are enticing, to say the least, but obviously I want to be driving the car, not giving it to the shop until it is declared a lemon.
Yes. Here's how I would think about it. If you have the cash, go for the more expensive option for some peace of mind. On the other hand, if your price range is limited I would still go for the I-Pace over the Model Frog, excuse me, Model 3.

The CPOs are probably all the buybacks. I'm sure you can get a smoking deal, but you run a small risk of a problem recurring. However: most buybacks were due to battery or software issues. Software issues are fixed. Mine was a battery issue, but they fixed it and now someone will get a smoking deal on a fantastic used (CPO) I-Pace with 9000 miles and a battery that's 95%.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
28 Posts
Yes. Here's how I would think about it. If you have the cash, go for the more expensive option for some peace of mind. On the other hand, if your price range is limited I would still go for the I-Pace over the Model Frog, excuse me, Model 3.

The CPOs are probably all the buybacks. I'm sure you can get a smoking deal, but you run a small risk of a problem recurring. However: most buybacks were due to battery or software issues. Software issues are fixed. Mine was a battery issue, but they fixed it and now someone will get a smoking deal on a fantastic used (CPO) I-Pace with 9000 miles and a battery that's 95%.
Thanks @sciencegeek. As in all of life it comes down to a risk/reward calculation. The deals on the VIN's above 70000 are nothing to sneeze at. I love getting the crazy deal, but it could come down to "if it sounds to good to be true..."

·
Registered
134 Posts

Another data point. Mine is an early VIN that was brand new with 32 miles or so on it, and it’s been great. I’m not alone. The multi-page SoH report they gave me showed 100% on all my battery cells. I’m not convinced of a correlation between VIN #s and issues, battery or otherwise. Just make sure all the software updates are done. The CPO is another story.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Yes. Software updates and battery health report. One other thing to keep in mind: in many states, CPOs have a shorter fuse on lemon law.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks everyone. Pulled the trigger and am now the proud owner of a new 2019 Santonini Black HSE i-Pace. SoH capacity fade was 97.5%. They printed every single update that the car received and I think that was pretty much everything I saw referenced on most posts. I am very excited! First EV!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts