Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a CPO at the local dealer. What kind of things should I make sure the dealer does before delivery? I was thinking making sure the it had the latest software updates. Anything else I should make sure to ask for?

·
Registered
899 Posts
May I ask why a CPO and not new?

Whats the build date or last 8 of the VIN? You dont want an older build date or one that has been sitting forever

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May I ask why a CPO and not new?

Whats the build date or last 8 of the VIN? You dont want an older build date or one that has been sitting forever
A little better value for money. Allegedly this is a small lot of manufacture rep vehicles. Relatively low miles. Serials are in the 603XX range. Warranty check says it's been in service for about a year. CPO would extend to 6/100. I would likely trade in about 3-4 years.

The dealer claims they cannot CPO a car that's had collision damage or was a Lemmon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A little better value for money. Allegedly this is a small lot of manufacture rep vehicles. Relatively low miles. Serials are in the 603XX range. Warranty check says it's been in service for about a year. CPO would extend to 6/100. I would likely trade in about 3-4 years.

The dealer claims they cannot CPO a car that's had collision damage or was a Lemmon.
The dealer is selling you a half-truth. They can't CPO a lemon, but they absolutely can CPO a car that was purchased back without going through the lemon process.. which is how that process ends most of the time.

If you're going to buy an iPace, buy it new. The prices are marked way down right now and you have much better legal protection if you get a bad iPace.

It's absolutely not worth the additional savings to buy a CPO. There is no checklist that guarantees it isn't a bad iPace and there is very little legal recourse if you're sold a bad car. CPO gives you additional warranty but no real added legal protection. Ordinarily I'm a BIG fan of CPO cars, but absolutely not in the case of EVs and specifically the iPace. Too many software/hidden issues that you can't check for and the dealer can easily say they had no knowledge of.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The dealer is selling you a half-truth. They can't CPO a lemon, but they absolutely can CPO a car that was purchased back without going through the lemon process.. which is how that process ends most of the time.

If you're going to buy an iPace, buy it new. The prices are marked way down right now and you have much better legal protection if you get a bad iPace.

It's absolutely not worth the additional savings to buy a CPO. There is no checklist that guarantees it isn't a bad iPace and there is very little legal recourse if you're sold a bad car. CPO gives you additional warranty but no real added legal protection.

Agreed,

With that VIN you are really asking for a problem. I wouldn't touch it at any price

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed,

With that VIN you are really asking for a problem. I wouldn't touch it at any price
Can you say more about the VIN? The inference I'm getting is there are issues with early vehicles that have never been addressed?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Can you say more about the VIN? The inference I'm getting is there are issues with early vehicles that have never been addressed?

You are correct. My VIN is 75XXX which is April 2019 build date. 60XX is a 2018 build date which have a very, very high probability of a of being a lemon. The fact that its a CPO gives it an even higher chance of being a lemon. Why does the dealer have this car on the lot?

Batteries that sit for a year will also give you a higher chance of a bad battery.

These are compliance cars that were really rushed to market, so early models can be a problem.

I did 6 months of research before getting my car. There is no other EV I would rather have that's out now, but no way I would touch an early build I-Pace

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It's absolutely not worth the additional savings to buy a CPO. There is no checklist that guarantees it isn't a bad iPace and there is very little legal recourse if you're sold a bad car. CPO gives you additional warranty but no real added legal protection. Ordinarily I'm a BIG fan of CPO cars, but absolutely not in the case of EVs and specifically the iPace. Too many software/hidden issues that you can't check for and the dealer can easily say they had no knowledge of.
The clarify one fine point. Since it's a rep car it's never been titled. I would be buying it as new and would be able to claim lemon law. But, if the VIN is problematic I'd prefer not to spend my life in the service department.

·
Registered
899 Posts
If you're buying, not leasing, there are so many new options that there is no point in buying it used like this.

Not sure what state you're in or what options you want, but I can point you in the right direction with discounts etc. The bals in your coiurt when negotiating on these cars as its not an easy to for a dealer to move

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're buying, not leasing, there are so many new options that there is no point in buying it used like this.

Not sure what state you're in or what options you want, but I can point you in the right direction with discounts etc. The bals in your coiurt when negotiating on these cars as its not an easy to for a dealer to move
I don't mind leasing, but the residuals on the I-Pace aren't great. Incentives seem non-existent on the lease outside the tax passthrough. I wasn't planning on pushing hard on the pencils until I was sure it was the car I wanted. I'm open to ideas on how to approach a MY20..

From the sound of it you guys wouldn't take the "new" titled CPO even if it was 30K MSRP.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
684 Posts

Excellent advice. I would run from any "older" I-Pace, CPO or not!!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't mind leasing, but the residuals on the I-Pace aren't great. Incentives seem non-existent on the lease outside the tax passthrough. I wasn't planning on pushing hard on the pencils until I was sure it was the car I wanted. I'm open to ideas on how to approach a MY20..

From the sound of it you guys wouldn't take the "new" titled CPO even if it was 30K MSRP.

Leasing residuals suck, MF went up in Jan 2020 it looks like.

You can purchase a later build 2019, but get your heavy discounts and the specs you really want. They dont lease 2019s anymore from what we have heard

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leasing residuals suck, MF went up in Jan 2020 it looks like.

You can purchase a later build 2019, but get your heavy discounts and the specs you really want. They dont lease 2019s anymore from what we have heard
Yeah. That's too bad. On the lease front the e-tron has 10.5K in incentive, a decent residual plus whatever cap-cost reduction the dealer will chip in. Everything about the JLR lease says "we don't want to own this in three years." :(

·
Registered
899 Posts
Yeah. That's too bad. On the lease front the e-tron has 10.5K in incentive, a decent residual plus whatever cap-cost reduction the dealer will chip in. Everything about the JLR lease says "we don't want to own this in three years." :(

I watch the secondary market on these closely and its not strong, which affects the lease terms.

I was looking to get an E-Tron but its an extremely boring car, with superior build quality and materials. Its a Q6 with an EV drive train, no way to tell the difference with an ICE Q7 and the E-tron other than Badge

I-Pace isn't a car for investment, but to enjoy the gorgeous looks and feel you get from diving it. Put it in Dynamic mode and push the limits of the car and you cant compare it to an E-Tron or any other EV as a complete package

Taycan is a better performer, but ...... https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/337-off-topic-discussion/5405-taycan-4s.html

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
I would safely guess there are way more early build cars without problems then there are with problems. I have not seen anything that would demonstrate the build date has impacted reliability.

If the car had been titled, then I would be reluctant. But if they are selling as a previously untitled car, it would qualify for the $7500 tax credit. So if you can get it $30k off MSRP + the tax credit. Holy **** that is a **** of a deal. I would consider buying another one at that price!

Honestly you are well protected as far as defects from a warranty & Lemon Law perspective and at that price point you are not going to lose excessive value on the car.

I would insist they put it on Pathfinder and update ALL software, not just the 3 the consumer can see.

Maybe see if you can spend a weekend with it before plunking down the cash?

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
684 Posts
Before I got my I-Pace, I drove a loaded Audi eTron (Prestige or Premium Plus, cannot remember what they call it...but the most $ one).

Drove heavy and cumbersome. It felt like a PosturePedic mattress. Build quality and materials were excellent and electronics were much quicker to respond than Jaguar. But, the Jaguar is so much more fun and rewarding to drive, look at, and be in. The Jag feels more luxurious and posh, and is unique and gorgeous from every angle.

The eTron was so bland from every angle. I lost interest about 3 mins into the test drive :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would safely guess there are way more early build cars without problems then there are with problems. I have not seen anything that would demonstrate the build date has impacted reliability.

If the car had been titled, then I would be reluctant. But if they are selling as a previously untitled car, it would qualify for the $7500 tax credit. So if you can get it $30k off MSRP + the tax credit. Holy **** that is a **** of a deal. I would consider buying another one at that price!

Honestly you are well protected as far as defects from a warranty & Lemon Law perspective and at that price point you are not going to lose excessive value on the car.

I would insist they put it on Pathfinder and update ALL software, not just the 3 the consumer can see.

Maybe see if you can spend a weekend with it before plunking down the cash?
To be clear. Not 30K off plus tax credit. I'd be ignoring all your advice if the deal was that good. :laugh:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looking at a CPO at the local dealer. What kind of things should I make sure the dealer does before delivery? I was thinking making sure the it had the latest software updates. Anything else I should make sure to ask for?
Did you end up getting that CPO? I am getting a similar earlier build CPO from a JR dealer and would like to get some advice from you if possible. My email is [email protected]. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone, same question here (mostly). Considering a leftover '19 HSE brand new from a JLR dealer in SoCal. New with less than 30 miles. Build is in the range 74XXX. They actually have 2, 99% similar options. so they have been sitting on the lot for a year. any concern from the build perspective? that's probably Feb/March 2019? about 30K off and of course the $7,500.
Very tempting and with lemon law protection and all, how risky is it really?
Need to understand exactly what to ask about this whole battery health thing (using Pathfinder? - newbie Here. would be trading in my F-Type. thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
Need to understand exactly what to ask about this whole battery health thing (using Pathfinder? - newbie Here. would be trading in my F-Type. thanks in advance!
Yes and Welcome! Ask for the pathfinder readout of the traction battery (the main battery), State of Health (Capacity fade; not Power fade). $30K off, holy crap, nice. You've test driven and everything?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts