Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
The owners manual says to use a coolant that meets Jaguar standard: STJLR.651.5003 whatever that means and it's only necessary to change it every 10 years.

A Discovery Sport forum says Texaco XLC, Valvoline RTU meet the spec as well as a brand (Probably British) called Halboards.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
826 Posts
Personally, I'd get a liter or gallon, or whatever volume they sell, from a dealer of the real authorized stuff to put into my multi-thousand dollar mode of transport.
I've seen the result of "compatible" coolant not quite compatible and causing a lot of cooling system issues in some vehicles.
Any cost difference does not justify going with a marketing claim of compatibility.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
678 Posts
Coolant in our I-Pace? :-O This never even crossed my mind. Since the I-Pace has free & included maintenance...not better to just swing by the dealer? What are we adding coolant to, where and for what? Did you get a warning??

Sorry for the dumb question. In a pure EV, this has never even been a thought.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Coolant in our I-Pace? :-O This never even crossed my mind. Since the I-Pace has free & included maintenance...not better to just swing by the dealer? What are we adding coolant to, where and for what? Did you get a warning??

Not a dumb question at all. Coolant is used for the electric motors and traction battery.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks Curt. How do we know if we need to add coolant, where would it go?
It's funny but checking the coolant level is recommended weekly in the owners manual but my service advisor said that there's a low coolant light on the instrument panel. The reservoirs are located in the trunk under the access panels.

Sorry - Frunk. I hate autocorrect!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
826 Posts
I agree that there shouldn't be a need to add coolant to any of these at this point in the cars' lives.

However, some cars did get equipped with faulty battery coolant expansion tank that could to a warning about low coolant level. As the doc states, we'd get a red message about low coolant.

Up to VIN SADHC2S12K1F72770

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I had a low coolant light come on while I was reversing up an incline. It cleared and has not happened again. Supposedly you are to check coolant level ever week (!) and figured I should have some on hand

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
313 Posts
The circled #2 is the location for the coolant and brake fluid reservoir.
That reminds me, I have a "handle" I found in the trunk with other accessories I got that has a frunk symbol on it. It might be what is sort of in the screen capture on the right side. Any ideas what it is? I can post a picture of it if it would help. It is female threaded on the end opposite the frunk symbol and looks like a round handle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Doc, Is it the screw-in towing eye bolt?

·
Registered
691 Posts
That reminds me, I have a "handle" I found in the trunk with other accessories I got that has a frunk symbol on it. It might be what is sort of in the screen capture on the right side. Any ideas what it is? I can post a picture of it if it would help. It is female threaded on the end opposite the frunk symbol and looks like a round handle.
A photo would help as I don't know what the handle is. Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have seen a forum thread describing something similar to this thing.

I believe this is the cover for the emergency frunk release pull cable.

I think it screws into the carpet trim located on the driver or passengers outer footwell.

If it has fallen out there should be a matching hole in the carpet. It should screw in opposite to the arrows on the top.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have seen a forum thread describing something similar to this thing.

I believe this is the cover for the emergency frunk release pull cable.

I think it screws into the carpet trim located on the driver or passengers outer footwell.

If it has fallen out there should be a matching hole in the carpet. It should screw in opposite to the arrows on the top.

Cheers, Steve
Thanks, Steve. Now I can sleep!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts