Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried the Continental 20" VikingContact 7 on their I-Pace. TireRack lists only two 20" XL load rated tires for the I-Pace, the Continental VikingContact 7 and the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season. The Goodyear is not great in the rain, and streets with a fair amount of moisture on the surface (VERY common in Seattle, WA). Even the TireRack tests indicate the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season is not the best wet weather tire. The Continental tested pretty well. Just curious if anyone has any experience with the Continental?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I collected my I-PACE last month and have only really driven on the 20" Continental VikingContact 7. Approx 1000 miles to date. I have had Continental winter tires on multiple previous vehicles and have been extremely pleased with their all round performance so this current tire was an easy choice for me. They are quiet and are good on cold pavement, packed snow and ice patches, surface water and provide good traction in deep snow. Quite the test in 4 weeks! Used in temperatures as low as -20C (-4F). In summary more than happy with this 20" tire.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
I collected my I-PACE last month and have only really driven on the 20" Continental VikingContact 7. Approx 1000 miles to date. I have had Continental winter tires on multiple previous vehicles and have been extremely pleased with their all round performance so this current tire was an easy choice for me. They are quiet and are good on cold pavement, packed snow and ice patches, surface water and provide good traction in deep snow. Quite the test in 4 weeks! Used in temperatures as low as -20C (-4F). In summary more than happy with this 20" tire.
[Welcome and congrats!]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do I read your message to indicate you use the Continental VikingContact 7 all year, or just in extreme cold and snow? It rains a large portion of the year in Seattle so having better rain traction than the Goodyear Eagle all weather tires would be very advantageous.

·
Registered
981 Posts
A snow tire isn't going to be great when the temps warm up.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=45HR0AMRT43XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Looks like another option. XL. Same size. Cheaper all season.

Load 102H can do 1874lbs per tire, vs 2039 per tires for XL. Those are at maximum PSI, which is usually a bit stiff. If you run at 35 psi and take 20% off the load rating to compensate, you're looking at 1499 per tire x 4 = ~6000 lbs of weight carrying. 1300lbs of cargo and passengers. Who does that in an ipace?

Hence, personally, I'll be fine looking at 102H tires and won't limit myself to XL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do I read your message to indicate you use the Continental VikingContact 7 all year, or just in extreme cold and snow? It rains a large portion of the year in Seattle so having better rain traction than the Goodyear Eagle all weather tires would be very advantageous.
No this will be a winter tire only.We have cold winters and reasonably hot summers so usually 6 months on the winter tire and 6 months on the OEM tire.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, we have them. They work great, so far. They compare favorably for traction to the many other Blizzaks, etc. we've had over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts