Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a few articles on the net abou this latest report from Consumer Reports on automated driving system. The point here is not to debate whether Cadillac's one is better than Tesla, but about poor ranking for Land Rover. I was not able to get a picture from CR's web site and validate the source of it, only found this one (see below). Land Rover is at the bottom of the list. I am assuming that Jaguar and Land Rover share the same system.
On the CR's web site I can read :

"Systems that didn’t give clear warnings to the driver to pay attention, such as Volvo's, or that failed to keep the vehicle within its lane, even on fairly straight roads, such as systems from Buick, Mazda, and Land Rover, didn’t fare well in our overall scoring"

I have always found that the LKA mode on the IPace was good enough for me, it does that it pretends to do : LKA.

CR's web site

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
523 Posts
There is a few articles on the net abou this latest report from Consumer Reports on automated driving system. The point here is not to debate whether Cadillac's one is better than Tesla, but about poor ranking for Land Rover. I was not able to get a picture from CR's web site and validate the source of it, only found this one (see below). Land Rover is at the bottom of the list. I am assuming that Jaguar and Land Rover share the same system.
On the CR's web site I can read :

"Systems that didn’t give clear warnings to the driver to pay attention, such as Volvo's, or that failed to keep the vehicle within its lane, even on fairly straight roads, such as systems from Buick, Mazda, and Land Rover, didn’t fare well in our overall scoring"

I have always found that the LKA mode on the IPace was good enough for me, it does that it pretends to do : LKA.

CR's web site

I read one report on this CR article which stated that making sure the driver was engaged was the big decisive difference between Cadillac and Tesla. Presumably this had effects further down the list as well. I have no problems with what the I-Pace system is intended for, and does, but that said an alarm after 20s with no hands on the wheel is not an effective way to ensure driver adherence to the guidance of paying attention to the road.
When evaluating these systems we need to be clear whether we are evaluating a system designed to keep idiots safe, or whether we are evaluating a system that makes driving less tiring on the driver's arms/shoulders/eyes etc. None of these systems (Cadillac's include) are self driving systems and so should not be evaluated as such.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts