Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I currently drive a Nissan Leaf Plus, but have been eyeing an I-pace for some time. My local Jaguar dealer is offering very good discounts on their 2019 models, and I'm considering leasing a First Edition. So, I had a few questions for the experts here. If we buy the I-pace it will be our only car, but we're pretty used to the limitations of an EV from our Leaf. We drive a 600 mile round trip about once a month in the summer, and my hope was that the I-pace would be able to make that trip faster and more comfortably. With the Leaf we typically get about 3.7 miles/kWh on that trip, while I expect to get only ~2.8 miles/kWh with the I-pace. However, the Leaf throttles the charging speed down to about 30kW after the first charging session of the day, and I expect the I-pace to consistently charge at about 70kW to 80%. Is that reasonable?

Aside from the charging speed, the I-pace looks considerably more comfortable. How does the I-pace feel after a few hours on the highway? And, how comfortable are the back seats for a long trip?

Are there any features that would help justify the extra $$$ in trading up from a Leaf to an I-pace?

Finally, is there anything specific I should look out for when I go to test drive the car? I was told it was not a demo car.

Super Moderator
Hi Astros and welcome! I only have a few seconds before dinner (and I have not owned a Leaf) but I will just state the obvious: The I-Pace is a notch (or two) above anything I've ever owned. It's an exquisite vehicle and once you test drive one you'll understand. 馃嵑

Registered
Not sure if you are driving freeway or 55mph roads. I wouldn't expect to get as high as 2.8mi/kw on a 70mph freeway. If you have some new chargers on your route, that can support max charging(108kw/hr) on the I-pace then you may be able to average close to 70kw/hr. I drove home, 600 miles from the dealer and I lived in the car for 22 hrs. It is comfortable enough. A tall adult will not fit in the middle back seat without hitting their head on a glass support protrusion. Features; It looks good, gets positive comments all the time, accelerates quiet and smooth (it is a little noisier than my Ford Focus Electric was at slow speeds because it has bigger motors and gears), accelerates while turning without spinning tires just like a Lamborghini, has a water cooled battery, you can jack the car up at the drive through window with the air suspension, it will drive over curbs after jacking it up. I bought an HSE with options, other versions may not have air suspension. I almost didn't buy my car because we had trouble getting the cruise control set on the test drive. I later figured out that you have to be further back than 2 seconds behind the car ahead of you and the switch needed some exercising to work. It works much better now but not as good (clickee) as a BMW X5 or Ford Focus Electrics set switch. I didn't like the follow mode to begin with, but now I miss it on my wife's X5. Always look at the edge of the front tires for wear to see if the car has been abused. My car had 42 miles on it when I bought it and the salesman told me it had been out a number of times. I would consider all cars with more than 10 miles a demo.

Registered
I have a Nissan Leaf since 2014 (24Kwh), and now the IPace HSE since mid 2019. Night and day. I don't have the e-pedal on the Leaf, but once the battery is below 90% on the IPace, it is very similar, the car can stop without using the break pedal. It also has a similar Lane Assist mode where the car can keep you 2 painted lanes for a couple of sec (up to 20 sec for the Jag). For everything else is way better. Very comfortable seats, 14 motors to adjust them, 3 driving position memories, key fob recognition to adjust seat, Head up display, fantastic sound system, panoramic roof, smart climate control, etc.... Too long to name them all. But more important, the battery is fluid cooled, and this is very important for long distance, especially compared to the Leaf. You can do a couple of fast charging without noticeable drop in the charging speed. You can probably do a couple of extra miles on the 18" tires, but the 20" and 22" look nicer on the car.
Check with your dealer that all update are downloaded in the car : H280, TCU:18.2, infosystem: S20A, etc...

Registered
Don't for get the $7500 tax credit off your taxes if you buy the car.
You still get the tax break if you lease, just make sure the dealer applies it as part of the cap cost reduction. In fact leasing is the better way to get it: no paperwork to worry about, and you get the full amount regardless of whether or not you had the full $7500 due in taxes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Nissan Leaf since 2014 (24Kwh), and now the IPace HSE since mid 2019. Night and day. I don't have the e-pedal on the Leaf, but once the battery is below 90% on the IPace, it is very similar, the car can stop without using the break pedal. It also has a similar Lane Assist mode where the car can keep you 2 painted lanes for a couple of sec (up to 20 sec for the Jag). For everything else is way better. Very comfortable seats, 14 motors to adjust them, 3 driving position memories, key fob recognition to adjust seat, Head up display, fantastic sound system, panoramic roof, smart climate control, etc.... Too long to name them all. But more important, the battery is fluid cooled, and this is very important for long distance, especially compared to the Leaf. You can do a couple of fast charging without noticeable drop in the charging speed. You can probably do a couple of extra miles on the 18" tires, but the 20" and 22" look nicer on the car.
Check with your dealer that all update are downloaded in the car : H280, TCU:18.2, infosystem: S20A, etc...
Thank you for the reply! It's very helpful to hear from someone who has owned both vehicles. My Leaf has e-Pedal and ProPilot, which is the distance-pacing cruise control and steering assist from Nissan. In my one previous test drive of an I-pace with the full set of driver assistance features it seemed to behave very similarly to my Leaf, though it was less obvious to me how to control it and whether it was active or not. We're pretty cautious about how we use it on the Leaf, but I find it does make long drives more relaxing.

One difference I'm hoping would be better with the I-pace is how the car feels to passengers around corners and in stop-and-go traffic. My son gets carsick easily, and while the Leaf drives smoothly overall it can pitch forward and backward when accelerating or decelerating, and there is noticeable body roll around corners. The ventilation in the back looks better with the I-pace, so that might also help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if you are driving freeway or 55mph roads. I wouldn't expect to get as high as 2.8mi/kw on a 70mph freeway. If you have some new chargers on your route, that can support max charging(108kw/hr) on the I-pace then you may be able to average close to 70kw/hr. I drove home, 600 miles from the dealer and I lived in the car for 22 hrs. It is comfortable enough. A tall adult will not fit in the middle back seat without hitting their head on a glass support protrusion. Features; It looks good, gets positive comments all the time, accelerates quiet and smooth (it is a little noisier than my Ford Focus Electric was at slow speeds because it has bigger motors and gears), accelerates while turning without spinning tires just like a Lamborghini, has a water cooled battery, you can jack the car up at the drive through window with the air suspension, it will drive over curbs after jacking it up. I bought an HSE with options, other versions may not have air suspension. I almost didn't buy my car because we had trouble getting the cruise control set on the test drive. I later figured out that you have to be further back than 2 seconds behind the car ahead of you and the switch needed some exercising to work. It works much better now but not as good (clickee) as a BMW X5 or Ford Focus Electrics set switch. I didn't like the follow mode to begin with, but now I miss it on my wife's X5. Always look at the edge of the front tires for wear to see if the car has been abused. My car had 42 miles on it when I bought it and the salesman told me it had been out a number of times. I would consider all cars with more than 10 miles a demo.
Our typical drive consists of about 200 miles of freeway driving at 70mph, followed by another 100 miles at 55mph and below. What efficiency do you think we could get at 70mph with 20" tires? There are a lot of new Electrify America chargers on our route the supply 150kW+, so we should be able to get the max charging speed from the I-pace.

One of the features that interests me in the I-pace is the adjustable air suspension, which coupled with the all-wheel drive seems like it would make the car ideal for getting to trailheads on rough forest roads. We currently take our Leaf on those, but it can be a little hair-raising since you have to maintain a good speed or risk getting stuck.

Super Moderator
Rough forest fire roads are no problem for the I-Pace. JLR offroad tech is very good and that DNA shows in the I-Pace. We even took our first one to the Eastern Mojave National Monument, into the backcountry.

Your trip will require one long charging stop or two shorter ones. Expect ca 40kWh/100miles but you already know that wind, temperature, and net climb or drop, will make a difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Rough forest fire roads are no problem for the I-Pace. JLR offroad tech is very good and that DNA shows in the I-Pace. We even took our first one to the Eastern Mojave National Monument, into the backcountry.

Your trip will require one long charging stop or two shorter ones. Expect ca 40kWh/100miles but you already know that wind, temperature, and net climb or drop, will make a difference.
That's very helpful, thank you. I'm a little concerned about the 20" tires on those roads, but our dealer doesn't have any with 18's. 40kWh/100 miles is exactly what I was expecting at 70mph. It's disappointing, but with the faster and more reliable charging speed it should still work.

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
......One difference I'm hoping would be better with the I-pace is how the car feels to passengers around corners and in stop-and-go traffic. My son gets carsick easily, and while the Leaf drives smoothly overall it can pitch forward and backward when accelerating or decelerating, and there is noticeable body roll around corners. The ventilation in the back looks better with the I-pace, so that might also help.
You will find the I-Pace is rock solid on the road and you won't feel the corners. That said, many of us on this forum drive the car with a little more enthusiasm going into corners and accelerating (the car is too good not to) so you do tend to feel the g's. Note; the car has a nifty display mode that shows the g's pulled on accelerating and cornering.
That said, I've received no motion sickness complaints from back seat passengers so far.

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
I used EA chargers last summer on a round trip last summer. It was longer than 600 miles and I posted it in another thread. The starting charging rate depended on the SOC. Charging rate did not go below 50kWh on the charger display for the charge to 80 or 90%. My regular charging near where I drive most is on Chargepoint 50kWh chargers. I've posted graphs in another thread showing the rates encountered. In good summer weather, the car charges at the maximum I expect to get out the chargers (42-48kWh depending on the model of charger) for a long time and tapers after getting above 80%.

I have not had an opportunity to repeat the round trip with the latest programming.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I used EA chargers last summer on a round trip last summer. It was longer than 600 miles and I posted it in another thread. The starting charging rate depended on the SOC. Charging rate did not go below 50kWh on the charger display for the charge to 80 or 90%. My regular charging near where I drive most is on Chargepoint 50kWh chargers. I've posted graphs in another thread showing the rates encountered. In good summer weather, the car charges at the maximum I expect to get out the chargers (42-48kWh depending on the model of charger) for a long time and tapers after getting above 80%.

I have not had an opportunity to repeat the round trip with the latest programming.
Thank you, that is exactly the sort of information I am interested in. If it can maintain >50kW up to 90% on a high power charger that will be a big improvement over the Leaf.

I tried searching for the thread you mentioned, but it looks like I can't see any posts that are older than three months old. Do I have some setting wrong for this forum, or are old posts really deleted that soon?

Registered
My son gets carsick easily, and while the Leaf drives smoothly overall it can pitch forward and backward when accelerating or decelerating, and there is noticeable body roll around corners. The ventilation in the back looks better with the I-pace, so that might also help.
That will depends on the way you drive. If you compare the Jag and the Nissan, a ride in the Jag is smoother, but if you abuse of the dynamic mode.... because you can do it, I can not guarantee that you will not need some safety bags. Usually, we are sick in boat or car because our brain receives 2 signals (from body and eyes) that does not match, and the brain try to reconciliate both... In the Jag , in the back seats, you will have more room for the legs, more room for the shoulders, but the smaller window will make you think the inside volume is smaller. The panoramic roof counterbalance that. Looking outside help having the body and the eye talking the same language to the brain.

Registered
For long drives you might want to see how both seats feel.
There are the standard Sports seats and the Performance Seats that are more expensive.

I felt the Performance seats were more comfortable

Sports seats

Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
Thank you, that is exactly the sort of information I am interested in. If it can maintain >50kW up to 90% on a high power charger that will be a big improvement over the Leaf.

I tried searching for the thread you mentioned, but it looks like I can't see any posts that are older than three months old. Do I have some setting wrong for this forum, or are old posts really deleted that soon?
The forum was on different software and old posts didn't get indexed properly for searches.

My lengthy trip: 837.9 mile road trip

Charging graphs: Some battery temperature, charging, and cell balancing...

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
The forum was on different software and old posts didn't get indexed properly for searches.

My lengthy trip: 837.9 mile road trip

Charging graphs: Some battery temperature, charging, and cell balancing...
Thank you very much! Your road trip log is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

I'm going to look at the car in person tomorrow, and see if I can get them to improve their offer. My wife is skeptical that the extra $$$ compared with our Leaf will be worth it, so we'll see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts