Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again! After I canceled contracts about a week ago on a 2019 Corris Grey I-Pace due to the car not accepting software updates, I have been test driving cars this week (Volvo XC60 plug in and Audi e-Tron); Both were actually pretty great, but I still prefer the I-Pace.

My current 2019 BMW i3S will be returned to BMW this coming Monday :-O I really need a car, but I am still terrified of the I-Pace, but cannot stop thinking of it.

How often do your radio and seat settings erase in the I-Pace?
How often do any of the screens go black, freeze or become non-responsive (or ultra slow)?
Rattles, squeaks, unwanted noises?

The I-Pace Climate controls and those push/pull knobs look very tedious and I have read several owners talk about the HVAC system in the I-Pace is slow and not great (the heat and A/C in my i3 is incredible, and the seat warmers are so easy....1 physical button).

I have NEVER had a preset erase or any other electrical snafu in the i3. I so want a Jag, but just wondering if I am asking for a giant headache.

Thanks!!

Super Moderator
Hi again! After I canceled contracts about a week ago on a 2019 Corris Grey I-Pace due to the car not accepting software updates, I have been test driving cars this week (Volvo XC60 plug in and Audi e-Tron); Both were actually pretty great, but I still prefer the I-Pace.

My current 2019 BMW i3S will be returned to BMW this coming Monday 馃槷 I really need a car, but I am still terrified of the I-Pace, but cannot stop thinking of it.

How often do any of the screens go black, freeze or become non-responsive (or ultra slow)?

The I-Pace Climate controls and those push/pull knobs look very tedious and I have read several owners talk about the HVAC system in the I-Pace is slow and not great (the heat and A/C in my i3 is incredible, and the seat warmers are so easy....1 physical button).

I have NEVER had a preset erase or any other electrical snafu in the i3. I so want a Jag, but just wondering if I am asking for a giant headache.

Thanks!!
The heater in the car was amazing, even at -35F, the car heated up better than any car I鈥檝e owned (which is a lot as I generally get a new car every18-24 months). My AC was non-op and they couldn鈥檛 seem to fix it, which is why I no longer have an I-Pace. In 10400 miles, I had occasional temporary (less than a minute) blank screens and one instance in which it lasted for >48 hours.

I don鈥檛 recall losing my seat settings, and I don鈥檛 ever use radio presets, so I can鈥檛 speak to that. However, the car rarely remembered my WiFi password and several times forgot my smart settings profile.

No significant creaks, groans or rattles, but I did have the squawking of the brakes at low speeds, but it wasn鈥檛 consistent or repeatable, just random and it never really bothered me. It did develop a rotational grinding sound at highway speeds, which was attributed to the AC compressor.

At the discount prices now available, I would not hesitate to buy one if it fit my lifestyle

Registered

My wife's seat settings wouldn't work until she finally used the personal settings correctly, attached to her key. I think radio settings got erased once after an update, maybe. Not really an issue.

The climate controls are worse than physical controls and better than, say, screen only controls on a Tesla. You just have to learn how to use them.

If you're hypersensitive, this isn't a perfect car. Then maybe you want a base 2010 Toyota. Something with only physical controls.

Registered
I haven't lost customizations of screens since S19B update. I have never lost station presets. Have not lost Seat memory settings.

I had blank screens the second week of ownership which lasted 4 days, but have not had any since and have gone from Infotainment software version S18D to current S19C.
When doing frequent short stops at various stores and such while running errands, occasionally I have lag in screen startups, but it is much faster recovery with current software versions, though Navigation also occasionally will be slow to load. Since this doesn't represent the majority of my driving and it is occasional, I don't really worry about it.

No rattles, squeaks and noise. Car is very quiet, except for the artificial beep when in reverse. Since the car is so quiet, you would expect to hear more sounds, yet the build I have is solid.

Used to have the climate controls occasionally switch between Fahrenheit and Centigrade, but that hasn't happened in months. I'm guessing that after applying all open campaigns and software updates the software (remember first model year) is much more stable.

If you buy, insist on test driving a model that is closest to your preferred specs and that has had all campaigns and software updated. That way to you can get a feel for the car after JLR software tweaks are in place. I think you'll really like it.

It's also a little deceptive how much stuff you can fit in the back. With the privacy screen out, I can store more stuff in the back than I can in my wife's 2017 RAV4. Not as much as the Audi that you were looking at,but still quite a bit.

Registered

My current 2019 BMW i3S will be returned to BMW this coming Monday :-O I really need a car, but I am still terrified of the I-Pace, but cannot stop thinking of it.

Thanks!!
My car is now on S19B and I have not had a black screen since. My car does not lose settings, though after the S19B update the media player occasionally forgets where it left off and starts up on a song it just played after the car has been shut off. The climate controls work well for me. Frankly, I rarely touch them because the auto settings work well. I only use the knobs to turn on seat heating or cooling. The AC and heating are excellent and in my Northern California environment are more than adequate for any conditions I encounter. No squeaks, rattles or other noises. The car is still very tight after about 6,000 miles of driving.

Overall, my experience with the I-Pace has been excellent. Hopefully it will stay that way! The care is the most fun to drive that I've ever owned. I look forward to getting in it every time I drive. Good luck to you!!

Registered
After over 15K miles still tight as a drum with no squeaks/rattles. I do not use personal profiles but have not lost seat memory settings or radio presets once. The instrument cluster display does default to the standard after every software update which is a minor pain. I have had two or three black screens on startup which all self-resolved in under a minute. I do not fiddle with the climate control knobs too often, preferring it to leave it in auto, except for the seat ventilation controls. I personally find the knobs and the setup quite aesthetically and functionally pleasing. With all the updates the infotainment system responsiveness has become completely acceptable (maybe the cat has trained me instead of the other way round), which is further mitigated by my almost exclusive use of Android Auto (Wireless AA is on the top of my wishlist but not holding my breath for it). Granted, I might be an outlier with having no significant issues, but I think not. Most people who have no issues usually do not frequent or post on these forums. Anyway, with the deals currently available on dealer inventories I think the I-Pace should definitely be on the top of list for anyone looking for a luxury BEV.

Registered
........ Granted, I might be an outlier with having no significant issues, but I think not. Most people who have no issues usually do not frequent or post on these forums. Anyway, with the deals currently available on dealer inventories I think the I-Pace should definitely be on the top of list for anyone looking for a luxury BEV.
I have to echo these thoughts. Had my cat for almost 4 months, put 5500 miles on it commuting to work and a couple of long trips and no major problems to date (fingers crossed). Drives like a dream. Haven't needed to try out the AC to any extent, but the heating is more than adequate - warms up far faster in the morning than an ICE. Just completed my first SOTA update - 15mins and no inconvenience while driving this morning.
Yes, some of the cars have had significant problems. I would recommend asking for an extented test drive and buying one off the lot, so that you know exactly what you are getting. My FE had a few miles on it driven by the dealership VP when I purchased. No problem, and any bugs would have been seen and worked out.

Registered
Test drive in the daytime on a sunny day. Test drive in the night time when opposing traffic will have lights on.
These tests will help to determine if you have visual issues with the heating element in a windshield so equipped (most of them are).

Every car model has representatives of assembly where the outliers of quality parts from suppliers manage to get together. Those are the exceptions and not the rule. Check the NTSA site for reports there to determine if the bad assemblies tend to outnumber the good ones.

Software issues will decrease with time. Don't let that scare you away from a mechanically sound, very fine car. Look how many times the apps on your phone get updated. Have you stopped using them after the second time they got updated? How many times has that model T company :wink2: issued updates for refining its products?

If the car meets your transportation needs and you like it, then get it.

Registered
Major problems with mine with absurd dealer response. It squeaks every time and brake and they claim it is "normal". So I guess the folks who don't have this problem have defective cars and should take them to the shop and get the squeaks added. Home screen gets lost once a month. Mileage on the highway may only be 175 miles if you have heat on and are going the speed limit.

Listen at www.ariosostrings.com/jaguaripaceproblems/ipace_squeak.mp3

Want to buy mine?? Raleigh, NC.

Registered
Ive only had mine about 6 wks/1500 km. No major issues. Its a 2020. Android auto has frozen a couple times requiring an unplug. I think the android app froze. Couple of times the screen froze after startup. Resolves itself or after restart. Sota not working - still on 19A. This will require dealer to install i think. All of these are small things to me. Car drives really well. Nicely appointed. Looks great. Electronics will only improve with time. Id buy again at this point.

Registered

Thanks!!
I've had my First Edition for about 2.5 months and pushed to update to 19B and now 19C.
The infotainment is about a beat late on things sometimes a beat or two behind, but it doesn't happen all the time and hasn't been as bad after the 19C update (not as bad meaning, "still happens one in a blue moon.").

I have not had presets erase, but I am not crazy about the UI as compared to my X5.
The heater/AC works great and is very comfortable. The temperature readouts are about a beat behind from time to time (laggy) but are not hard to use or adjust. Bun warmers are great. Heated steering wheel is great. Both easy to use. The lower screen is limited to various things so you are only a couple of taps away.

Car drives great. I notice some creaks when going over the ruts in LA roads, but nothing too bad.

Registered
I'm at about 14000 miles on a base S config. Only major issue was early replacement of battery control module . . . and haven't updated since; though I'm looking to finally update with range-extending H264 update. Some body and suspension creaks at low speed elevation changes, and some front seat creaking, which can be remedied at the dealer (driver seat done, passenger next), otherwise solid and predictable at-speed. Coming off two generations of BMW 535s, this is the best driving car I've experienced. Like many here, between competition, I-Pace wins on feature/performance/price mix.

Registered
Oh, forgot to add, with addition of Zero FX for dirt road cruising/sightseeing, I use the I-Pace for pre-ride trail recon. The I-Pace air-suspension doesn't like impacts. So, I take it real easy on hard-pack; but the I-Pace has done really well in recent muddy conditions. Then I hop back on the pavement, lower the suspension, and voila, back in silent sports-sedan mode -- which is pretty sweet!

Registered
I just passed 10,000 kms with mine. Never had any sort of problem other than a door latch, fixed in less than an hour.
Gotta love it!

Registered
I've posted in several places that I've driven THREE different I-Paces over the past year, my original 2019 FE (Dec 20, 2018), a loaner 2019 FE for 3k mi, then my replacement 2020 HSE (July 20, 2019). The replacement was only way to delete the heated windshield, which I discovered 2 weeks after purchase created highly distracting night vision issues (and I'm in Florida so have zero use for it.) I got a major runaround from JLR (corporate, dealer was great) on windshield replacement, ultimately trading in the car for new custom build delivered 90 days later... basically a FE but without the heated windshield.

So while some here may have more than the 15k I-Pace mi I've driven, few, if any, have put that kind of mileage on 3 different brand new vehicles. Collectively, I've had maybe 1 or 2 'blackscreen' moments and they were negligibly brief. A couple backup camera 'faults' (also negligible impact), but zero issues for which I'd suggest shying away from the car. Based on amount of use, I'd say my iPhone XS fails more often than I have I-Pace software issues, yet I have no inclination to dump my iPhone.
It cannot be overemphasized that judging the car based on this forum is a bad idea. Owners come here far more often in attempt to solve issues (or bitch about them) than to boast about how much they love the car. Not to say some haven't had serious problems, some worthy of buyback, but for the vast majority the car is fast, fun, futuristic and yes, reliable.

Many, including myself, cite it as the best car they have ever driven, including many (like myself) coming from Mercedes and BMW. The I-Pace did not win 2019 World Car of the Year on a fluke. 82 international journalists, most of whom are SERIOUS car enthusiasts, drove the vehicles and cast their votes. Judging (or worse abandoning) the car based on lackluster U.S. sales or the reports of a few dozen disgruntled (some rightfully so) forum posters would be a big mistake if the car suits your tastes and lifestyle. I pulled the trigger once I saw the relatively boring options Mercedes and Audi announced, both of which ultimately had worse range. BMW still has no alternative and even the Taycan has disappointed many (myself included) with an EPA range of 201. Tesla continues to impress, with great strides in quality improvement and jealousy-inducing range, but the minimalistic cabin the Model X "wing" doors were never for me. If you do reconsider, follow the advice of many and have all recalls, campaigns and software updates implemented, and play the odds you have the majority experience. With the crazy good discounts going on, especially on the 2019 inventory, there has been no better time to take the leap.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
THANK YOU for all the responses. You have made me feel much better (and less freaked out). So much in fact, I just put my deposit down on a new 2019 Indus Silver HSE :) All software updates will be done on Monday when the Service Ctr. reopens after the weekend, and if all goes smoothly on Mon 12/16 (fingers crossed)....I should pick my new kitty up around lunchtime in Beverly Hills on Tues 12/17.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences; honestly.....so appreciated of all of you!!

Registered
THANK YOU for all the responses. You have made me feel much better (and less freaked out). So much in fact, I just put my deposit down on a new 2019 Indus Silver HSE [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] All software updates will be done on Monday when the Service Ctr. reopens after the weekend, and if all goes smoothly on Mon 12/16 (fingers crossed)....I should pick my new kitty up around lunchtime in Beverly Hills on Tues 12/17.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences; honestly.....so appreciated of all of you!!
Have them send you a charging log showing the breakdown of KWH added versus SOC %. Then math it out to make sure it adds up to a 84 KWH 100% capacity. All new iPace buyers should do this before accepting delivery.

I believe this is the simplest test to check for the faulty main battery many of us have experienced.

Registered
I have about 3800mi on my 2019 First Edition.
  • Newest software seems to have ironed out most of the egregious bugs and glitches and the next upgrade is supposed to take advantage of new knowledge gained from Jaguar racing I-paces (who would have thought?) and will give about an 8% range boost.
  • I had the black screen problem. Has not come back since latest upgrade.
  • Service: Jaguar/Land Rover service in Bellevue WA has been really good so far. (Ask for Robin as your service advisor.)
  • Driving: Its a go-cart for big kids that happens to carry 5 people and their stuff very comfortably. It behaves more like a sports car than an SUV.
  • Software, while definitely not perfect, is improving since I purchased it back in June 2019.

Context for the summary:
  • In my job, I am known far and wide at being able to (unintentionally) find every bug and glitch that exists in the software and equipment I touch. I am also a perfectionist... (Argh!)
  • I am a petrolhead. My other car is a Corvette. My buying a full-electric vehicle and LIKING it has blown more than a few people's minds.
Overall, other than some software-related annoyances, I love my i-pace.

Hope this is helpful!

Registered
I鈥檝e had my ipace for over a year. The screens have reset unexpectedly probably 3 times in all 365 days. They have come back up after rebooting without issue. My wife drives a Honda CRV and has had similar issues with her screens (and hers have gone totally dark for days). I have had no other issues with the car and absolutely love it. I can鈥檛 wait for the 2021 to come out as I will very likely buy it as my next vehicle :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts