Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 IPace First Edition has AT&T 3G Connected Car Service which has been in place since I purchased the car 3 years ago. AT&T has just terminated their 3G service. Does JLR have an available upgrade so that I can use 4G service?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE
89 Posts
When I first activated the service in the fall of 2018 the car reported 3G. I thought it weird as JLR had listed it as LTE compatible. After a month or two it changed to 4G. Does yours still show as 3G on the screen?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
The I-pace is not impacted by the 3G shutoff. It does use LTE/4G for the connected services.

My 16 Range Rover on the other hand is. When I asked Land Rover about it the reply was "Our engineers are currently working on an upgrade solution to the phaseout of 3G servers, but no public announcements have been made at this time." That was on 19 Jan 2022.

I consider them in breach of contract since the original free period had ended after 5 years and I had paid for a subscription to continue.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Does the Jaguar Remote app connect and get recent data about the car?
Do you have a SIM in the center console slot that is not original to the car?

You may need to have the TCU replaced if the car is a very early build.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Then it would appear that the dealer needs to sort it out. You should see the 4G symbol not 3G or a G with / through it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems there is no upgrade path for my vehicle from 3G. This has been confirmed by both JLR and AT&T so I will have to manage without my connected car service. Amazing that when I bought the vehicle three years ago 3G was state of the art and now it has been discontinued.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
That makes no sense. I (and many others) have a 2019 I-pace HSE and have the 4G. You've got a 2019 I-pace First Edition and they say you can't have LTE/4G? Did you get that from JLR customer support or a local dealer? At most it would take a TCU replacement plus a SIM card.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
222 Posts
Yes, any new TCU should be 4G capable. I wouldn't expect AT&T to have any idea, and JLR is generally clueless on nearly all matters as well.
That said, I'd be surprised to learn that there at 3G I-PACE models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to hear more. The dealer told me that there was a JLR bulletin confirming that there was no upgrade available and AT&T said that they had a document from JLR stating the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Have the dealer provide a copy of the bulletin that states an I-pace does not have the capability of having LTE/4G. Has AT&T stated they don't offer 4G in your area? Are you living in a very remote location?

The owners manual shows the 4G icon depicted. Look in yours. In iGuide it is shown under "CONNECTIVITY STATUS ICONS".

Open a case with Jaguar Customer Service 1-800-452-4827 or document it in an email

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
958 Posts
Interestingly my early FE just developed the same issue. Will not connect via the AT&T connected car SIM. JLR's remote still works so the car is operating on 4G.
For me the service seemed to stop as of Mar 1st. I haven't had time to contact either JLR or AT&T, but I suspect that it is an issue regarding the SIM card needing to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
The hardware has to be 4G capable too. The really early cars did have some hardware issues that later builds did not experience.

It would have been quite a misstep by Jaguar (or AT&T) to provide SIM cards that were limited to 3G capable. It might be worth a try to get a AT&T store to at least test the possibility.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
958 Posts
The hardware has to be 4G capable too. The really early cars did have some hardware issues that later builds did not experience.

It would have been quite a misstep by Jaguar (or AT&T) to provide SIM cards that were limited to 3G capable. It might be worth a try to get a AT&T store to at least test the possibility.
I have a sense that this may be an acct issue at AT&T. My traffic updates were working fine while driving down to Durhan NC on Fed 28th, but on the way back Mar 2nd I noticed I had no connection. My acct would renew on the first of the month, whereas I believe the 3G towers were turned off earlier in Feb.
My first call tomorrow will be AT&T.
BTW I agree that I have often seen LTE/4G on the dash screen, so I don't believe the cars were operating on 3G exclusively.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts