Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I agree with their synopsis of the I-Pace design and chassis. It's a great driver's car with good looks that happens to be electric, but it's really not an SUV even though it can be used as one if you want. It really doesn't fit into any existing cubby hole. Part Land Rover, part Sport Sedan, part Executive Sedan.

Reactions: epirali

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only quibble is they said the I-Pace and e-tron have the same 95 kWh battery, which we know in not true.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It was a great review, very balanced in my view. Only things I didn’t agree/ring with:

1) Maybe I’m just prematurely old but I can’t believe people who are over 8 find fart mode funny?

2) They mistakenly commented on the EV regeneration as a “Tesla only” thing.

3) I have no idea what they mean by “grabby brakes” for I Pace. Only two electric cars I have where the breaking is great to superb are the I Pace and the i8. The Tesla brakes are anywhere from mushy/bad (Roadster/S) to ok (M3).

Love their faces while pushing the I Pace on the road, tells it all. I am still kind of disappointed with Audi on the E Tron SUV...

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I finally saw an e-tron out in the wild. It looks...heavy. Glad I didn't delay my purchase of an I-Pace waiting for this.

Is it just me or does the front end of the e-tron looks a bit like Hyundai Sonata? Specially the headlamp cluster which looks like the inverted DRL cluster of the Hyundai.

Attachments

Reactions: epirali

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is it just me or does the front end of the e-tron looks a bit like Hyundai Sonata? Specially the headlamp cluster which looks like the inverted DRL cluster of the Hyundai.
Both the current and previous head designers for Hyundai/Kia came from Audi and it's an open secret they brought Audi's design language with them.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
e-Tron sales (400/mo) seem to be about double that of the I-Pace (200/mo) in the U.S., but even Audi is watching EV sales slide post launch...

https://insideevs.com/news/374641/audi-e-tron-sales-us-declining/
Unless you live in and believe the hype in the EV bubble, there isn't a lot of demand for EVs compared to regular cars. Couple that fact with the low margins on the mainstream EV offerings and it shouldn't surprise anyone that they are not flying out the door. For the most part, folks shopping Audis and Jaguars do not have an EV primary focus. My local Audi dealer won't even stock an e-Tron, if you want one you will need to order it. That is not a sales incentive...

·
Registered
540 Posts
My local Audi dealer won't even stock an e-Tron, if you want one you will need to order it. That is not a sales incentive...
Maybe Audi execs looked at the I-Pace inventory and decided to NOT make Jaguar's mistake, but that seems drastic. Contrast that with Porsche, whom the dealer told me is being 'forced' to install a high end DCFC station (200kw) charger (NOT just a Level 2 charger like most dealaerships) at significant cost they won't recover for years.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My local Audi dealer won't even stock an e-Tron, if you want one you will need to order it. That is not a sales incentive...
Maybe Audi execs looked at the I-Pace inventory and decided to NOT make Jaguar's mistake, but that seems drastic. Contrast that with Porsche, whom the dealer told me is being 'forced' to install a high end DCFC station (200kw) charger (NOT just a Level 2 charger like most dealaerships) at significant cost they won't recover for years.
No OEM would make an EV if not for compliance.
It's a money loser for a long time.

I like the E-Tron but it's just another Q series Audi, but very expensive

IMO I-Pace is the only EV that looks sexy regardless of the drive train

·
Registered
981 Posts
EVs can be for compliance, but they're also the future. Europe and China are heading towards EVs and strong hybrids at a blistering pace. The US, with the climate denial BS, is lagging.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
EVs can be for compliance, but they're also the future. Europe and China are heading towards EVs and strong hybrids at a blistering pace. The US, with the climate denial BS, is lagging.
I don't think the Handwringers are doing themselves any favors either. In California, the payback for Solar PV arrays increased 20% in Mar 2019. ie - If your system would pay itself off in 10 years, now it's 12. They added an EV tax, and now your HOV stickers expire faster.
They have several Climate Parties a year, where all the fashionista jetsetters fly to and throw a party. This week was Denmark. Waiting for Tahiti. Think they did Hawaii already. Tax break for the rich, free trip for politicians.

Nobody told them Teleconferencing is celebrating it's 40th birthday. But it's hard to show off your new yacht or Gulfstream via video chat.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't think the Handwringers are doing themselves any favors either. In California, the payback for Solar PV arrays increased 20% in Mar 2019. ie - If your system would pay itself off in 10 years, now it's 12. They added an EV tax, and now your HOV stickers expire faster.
They have several Climate Parties a year, where all the fashionista jetsetters fly to and throw a party. This week was Denmark. Waiting for Tahiti. Think they did Hawaii already. Tax break for the rich, free trip for politicians.

Nobody told them Teleconferencing is celebrating it's 40th birthday. But it's hard to show off your new yacht or Gulfstream via video chat.
Hypocrisy and stupidity are rampant. No doubt. There's also a direct correlation between wealth and environmental impact, including carbon footprint. So we try to limit ours through solar, reasonable house temperatures, short commutes, rare long trips, and EVs. We're also not anywhere close to private-jet rich.

Also we went into SF last night. Drove to the nearest BART station then BARTed to the city. Walked two blocks to the restaurant. Little decisions like that add up over time, limiting emissions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts