Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know how much 22' vs 20" wheels affect:

1) comfort (as in how much one would feel potholes or speed bumps)
2) range/economy

I've ordered an HSE which had already been customised and is in production. It comes with 22" wheels and the order cannot be amended, so I'd have to get a brand new set if I decide to go for the 20" ones, and was wondering if it's worth doing so?

Thanks!

Alex
Our HSE has 20" wheels and the ride is quite acceptable as is the handling. I've read numerous reviews and articles that say, on virtually every vehicle, moving up to a larger size wheel does make the vehicle look sexier but the drawback is almost always, diminished and noticeable ride comfort.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Our HSE has 20" wheels and the ride is quite acceptable as is the handling. I've read numerous reviews and articles that say, on virtually every vehicle, moving up to a larger size wheel does make the vehicle look sexier but the drawback is almost always, diminished and noticeable ride comfort.
Thank you Joseph.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Instrument cluster. Use the thumb wheel and arrows. Vehicle Info menu.
Here a link to a post on the menu path

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here a link to a post on the menu path

Thank you! That's very helpful. 👍🏼

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE
40 Posts
I just went from factory 245/50/20 inch wheels with Goodyear Eagle Sports to F-Pace rims at 265/40/22 wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4s yesterday. The new wheels/tires added 13lbs each versus stock. My new tire size isn't quite the same as the factory 22 inch wheels (255 vs 265), which means that the sidewalls are also ever so slightly larger (4" vs 4.2") and the tire slightly wider (10" vs 10.4"). Ride quality shuold be pretty comparable though, but I bet my wheels are heavier at 46lbs than the OEM 22 inch option.

All that being said, ride quality has decreased subtantially. Technically this was only an 18% reduction in sidewall size, but the additional unspring weight probably doesn't help either. Noise has also increased quite a bit. I suspect much of this can be attributed to the tire though; the Pilot Sport 4s is a much more agressive tire than the Eagle Sport. While the car definitely feels much better in the corners, there was definitely a price to pay in the refinement realm. The car used to ride fantastic and was impressively quiet. That is no longer the case.

(pardon the missing centercaps)

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just went from factory 245/50/20 inch wheels with Goodyear Eagle Sports to F-Pace rims at 265/40/22 wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4s yesterday. The new wheels/tires added 13lbs each versus stock. My new tire size isn't quite the same as the factory 22 inch wheels (255 vs 265), which means that the sidewalls are also ever so slightly larger (4" vs 4.2") and the tire slightly wider (10" vs 10.4"). Ride quality shuold be pretty comparable though, but I bet my wheels are heavier at 46lbs than the OEM 22 inch option.

All that being said, ride quality has decreased subtantially. Technically this was only an 18% reduction in sidewall size, but the additional unspring weight probably doesn't help either. Noise has also increased quite a bit. I think most of these characteristics can be attributed to the tire though; the Pilot Sport 4s is a much more sport tire an the Eagle Sport. The car feels sportier, but there was definitely a price to pay in the refinement realm.
Any regrets, Brendon? For me, performance improvements usually trump comfort and I'll be curious if you notice a change in range.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE
40 Posts
Any regrets, Brendon? For me, performance improvements usually trump comfort and I'll be curious if you notice a change in range.
Nope, the car looks way better and is more satisfying to drive in the twisties. My biggest concern is the added rotational mass, and in a perfect world it would be ideal to get some aftermaket wheels that reduce weight rather than add it. I expected a noticeable dip in refinement, but it turned out to be more substantial than I was expecting. For those looking for less of a tradeoff, I'd opt for tires that are a bit less performance oriented. The 4s is ready for the track.

I'd say the biggest takeaway is how impressive the OEM Eagle Sports are. They perform surprisingly well for such a civil tire. Jag really nailed the ride/handling combo.

Regarding range, I'm expecting approximately a 7-10% drop between the added weight, decreased arodynamic efficiency, and reduced rolling resistance of these tires (which is not their strong suit).

·
Registered
527 Posts
It still seems like a secret to many owners, but the "Light Load" setting is the key to ride quality for 1-2 rider usage, regardless of tire size. The tires typically come with 50psi for shipment, then 40/48 for 'Normal Load' but the best ride is at the "Light Load" setting with 37psi all around. You then have to select that in the thumbwheel menu to avoid being 'warned' about low tire pressure at every startup. Once properly selected, it does flash a quick "Light Load" message but no audible warning. I chose the 5069 22in wheels for aesthetics and have never had a concern or regret about ride or range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased mine with 22s. Sound is better than the Model S I had for a couple weeks. Handling is tight and very fun. I'm getting around 200ish miles per full charge (moderately spirited driving mostly on highways). After hearing Brendon saying it's much quieter on 20s, now I'm curious about them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Ipace came with the 22” wheels and while I love the look I am thinkOmg of buying 20” rims and selling the 22’s. I live in Cleveland Ohio and really want a rim that I can put on all season tires. If I end up doing this I will post my before and after impressions.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts