Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much 22' vs 20" wheels affect:

1) comfort (as in how much one would feel potholes or speed bumps)
2) range/economy

I've ordered an HSE which had already been customised and is in production. It comes with 22" wheels and the order cannot be amended, so I'd have to get a brand new set if I decide to go for the 20" ones, and was wondering if it's worth doing so?

Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
957 Posts
There's probably some range loss, but nobody has exactly quantified it, at least not that I've seen. The ride difference is reportedly perceivable but not that great. I assume handling is a bit better with the 22s.

We have the 20s, and the front tires have worn heavily on the outside edge. That'd be a reason to get 22s, if you corner a lot. If it's all stop and go and low speed cornering, the 18 and 20 would get somewhat better ride and economy, but nothing mindboggling.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE
39 Posts
There is a range estimator on the Jaguar site somewhere, though I can't find it at the moment. If memory serves right, switching the wheels from 20 to 22" reduces range by 12-15 miles with the A/C running.

I'm upgrading from 20" to 22" wheels later this week. I can report back then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's probably some range loss, but nobody has exactly quantified it, at least not that I've seen. The ride difference is reportedly perceivable but not that great. I assume handling is a bit better with the 22s.

We have the 20s, and the front tires have worn heavily on the outside edge. That'd be a reason to get 22s, if you corner a lot. If it's all stop and go and low speed cornering, the 18 and 20 would get somewhat better ride and economy, but nothing mindboggling.
I have 22s and my front tires also have heavy outside worn but the service technician said it is due to alignment and he over correct it. We will see.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have 22s and my front tires also have heavy outside worn but the service technician said it is due to alignment and he over correct it. We will see.
wuxyjj, could you let me know if your service department is able to get a good alignment? My dealer couldn't get it within specs. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a range estimator on the Jaguar site somewhere, though I can't find it at the moment. If memory serves right, switching the wheels from 20 to 22" reduces range by 12-15 miles with the A/C running.

I'm upgrading from 20" to 22" wheels later this week. I can report back then.
Thanks Brendon. I'll look for the range estimator.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks, J-Pace. The calculator is a nice tool and pretty accurate for my car and definitely shows the effect of temperature, tire size, use of climate control and type of driving.

I was surprised by the effect of tire size. It's pretty significant.

@sciencegeek, can we pin the link?

·
Registered
78 Posts
So am i reading this correctly that 30 degrees Celsius or 86 degree Fahrenheit is the best driving temperature for mileage? Seems hot. Of course that is if you can handle the heat with no AC. With AC on it reduces distance drastically!

·
Registered
603 Posts
So am i reading this correctly that 30 degrees Celsius or 86 degree Fahrenheit is the best driving temperature for mileage? Seems hot. Of course that is if you can handle the heat with no AC. With AC on it reduces distance drastically!
I think you're reading it correctly. Between 25-30°C shows the best range and matches what I'm seeing in June driving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know how much 22' vs 20" wheels affect:

1) comfort (as in how much one would feel potholes or speed bumps)
2) range/economy

I've ordered an HSE which had already been customised and is in production. It comes with 22" wheels and the order cannot be amended, so I'd have to get a brand new set if I decide to go for the 20" ones, and was wondering if it's worth doing so?

Thanks!

Alex
Hi Alex:

Fellow Brit here.....

Before purchase, I did an extended test drive with 20" wheels. There were none with 22" available to test drive in my area.

I took a chance and leased a HSE with the 22" wheels.

To be honest, I cannot tell much difference in ride quality between the 20 and 22's. I am VERY happy with the 22's and the way they fill the wheel arches is just gorgeous!

Now, having said that, where I live in Florida, we have pretty good roads, so your experience may vary.

As for range reduction, I have never tested or been concerned with that, so cannot comment.

Hope this helps.

Roger

·
Registered
957 Posts
For us, it's cornering. There's a thin strip on the outside that's heavily warn from fast cornering. This is pretty normal with any car we own that doesn't get a lot of camber added. I would like to add some camber all around, but especially to the fronts.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Alex:

To be honest, I cannot tell much difference in ride quality between the 20 and 22's. I am VERY happy with the 22's and the way they fill the wheel arches is just gorgeous!

Now, having said that, where I live in Florida, we have pretty good roads, so your experience may vary.

As for range reduction, I have never tested or been concerned with that, so cannot comment.

Hope this helps.

Roger
And has some of us have learned, that makes all the difference in the world. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Alex:

Fellow Brit here.....

Before purchase, I did an extended test drive with 20" wheels. There were none with 22" available to test drive in my area.

I took a chance and leased a HSE with the 22" wheels.

Hope this helps.

Roger
Hi Roger.
Thanks you for the feedback. I'm glad you're happy with your 22" wheels. I completely agree that they look better. My concern is comfort. I live in London and as you may already know, the roads aren't so great. There are roadworks, potholes and speedups everywhere. I'll take your advice and see if I can test drive an I-Pace with 22" wheels. Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
76 Posts
With the I-Pace option to lower the air pressure alarms for the tires, I think the ride difference between the two wheels is almost negligible. I have 22" with the alarms lowered and it rides better than my Ford Focus electric with soft compound tires and much softer than my wife's X5-40e w/M handling package, neither of which can lower the air pressure alarms. My Jag tires are wearing evenly across despite my lack of slowing for corners and triple roundabouts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With the I-Pace option to lower the air pressure alarms for the tires, I think the ride difference between the two wheels is almost negligible. I have 22" with the alarms lowered and it rides better than my Ford Focus electric with soft compound tires and much softer than my wife's X5-40e w/M handling package, neither of which can lower the air pressure alarms. My Jag tires are wearing evenly across despite my lack of slowing for corners and triple roundabouts.
Thanks so much for that Trielectric! You may very well be saving me over £4,500 in new 20" wheels & tires!!
How does one lower the air pressure alarm? Is it an option on the car's infotainment system?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts