Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the mountains, and it often gets quite cold here. Last night it was particularly cold, with the ambient temperature dropping to -13F. I charged the I-Pace in my garage (insulated, but not heated) last night, and my range on the GOM this morning is 163 miles. I know cold weather impacted battery performance, and I have certainly seen that before, but wowza. It really made a difference.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
Thus the value of battery preconditioning while plugged into a charger. The GOM would have been higher.

However, the moment you leave the garage and it senses the outside air as really cold that GOM will drop as you probably know. I'm not nearly that cool here but mine drops by 20 miles just for going from 40ish in garage to +teens F outside.

·
Super Moderator
2,466 Posts
Consider leaving it plugged in and running preconditioning. (Do you have WattCat?) See if the temp increases, and with it the range.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always pre-condition in cold weather like this. I haven’t driven the car since the charge, I just looked at the range. If I go out today, I’ll pre-condition and see how it looks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I assume pre-conditioning is done while plugged in? If so, any concern always having the battery at 100% or is there a way to not charge, but still draw from the charger for pre-conditioning?

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pre-condition with the car plugged into the charger whenever possible. Personally, I have no concerns about the car being charged to 100%.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just doing my normal 32km highway commute in the winter with no precondtioining, i go just under 200k or 6 trips before I charge again. At that point i have about 25% left on the battery. Been about -5 to -10 Celsius recently. BEVs definitely don't like the cold.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
585 Posts
I live in the mountains, and it often gets quite cold here. Last night it was particularly cold, with the ambient temperature dropping to -13F. I charged the I-Pace in my garage (insulated, but not heated) last night, and my range on the GOM this morning is 163 miles. I know cold weather impacted battery performance, and I have certainly seen that before, but wowza. It really made a difference.
Remember the GoM emphasizes your most recent driving, so a few short trips during the last few days in those conditions would be used by the GoM to estimate your usage for the current full charge.
Last winter I was seeing 190miles in single digit F temps, so at -13F these numbers are not too surprising.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Even in warm Florida, you can see the impact from temps. A highway run in the low-40s will result in a max range of 190 miles. The same run in the summer with the A/C blasting and ambient temps in the 90s will result in 220 miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I assume pre-conditioning is done while plugged in? If so, any concern always having the battery at 100% or is there a way to not charge, but still draw from the charger for pre-conditioning?
No problem with having the battery at 100%. Battery preconditioning only happens when plugged into a charger, so that's a good idea in cold weather. Set a departure time and the vehicle will start preconditioning the battery ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a followup to my initial post, it was warmer here today (6 degrees in the morning, and up into the 20s during the day). On a fresh charge with pre-conditioning, my range showed 226 miles today.

·
Registered
EV320 MY21
7 Posts
Additionaly the preheating will only function, when the wallbox is in charge-mode. Some wallboxes cut the connect after fullcharging and will not start again, if the i-pace will preheat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts