Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one experienced difficulty charging the Jaguar I Pace while on the road. I always seem to have difficulty when I am trying to use a fast charger, a level 3. I always get declined or keeps saying connecting to vehicle or some like that. Than a no go. Please advise

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,522 Posts
What charger? Brand of charger and general location?

I have no issues with Chargepoint chargers. EA sometimes takes multiple efforts but the last road trip where I used EA was much better than the early days. EA is best activated using their app instead of trying to use the card reader on the chargers.

Due to the weight of a L3 charger cable, it is best to hold it firmly into the socket on the car until you hear the locking pin activate.

Have you contacted the vendors help number? Most of them have a toll free number to call for assistance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What charger? Brand of charger and general location?

I have no issues with Chargepoint chargers. EA sometimes takes multiple efforts but the last road trip where I used EA was much better than the early days. EA is best activated using their app instead of trying to use the card reader on the chargers.

Due to the weight of a L3 charger cable, it is best to hold it firmly into the socket on the car until you hear the locking pin activate.

Have you contacted the vendors help number? Most of them have a toll free number to call for assistance.
Mainly with Electrify America or EVGo chargers. I try and try and than maybe one of them will kick in after several tries. I as not sure if it’s just Jaguar

·
Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
147 Posts
I'm sure the charging experience will improve. I think most of us charge at home so no big deal but in the next several years ev cars will be better positioned for longer trips.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mainly with Electrify America or EVGo chargers. I try and try and than maybe one of them will kick in after several tries. I as not sure if it’s just Jaguar
It's EA. I find their system is very fragile and lots can go wrong on in the choreography of initiating a charge. I found the best results when I did things in this order:

1: Get the app up and running on you phone to find the station you are at (but don't initiate the charge just yet)
2: Plug in the car.
3: Wait until the initialization phase ends and the payment options screen comes up on the charger.
4: Use the app (or your credit card) to initiate the charge, and wait bit. The screen will hopefully eventually switch from the payment screen to initiating charge screen and you will hear clicking and fan sounds star from the charger.
5: The car will eventually say it is charging, but I find it can take 30-60 seconds for the charge to actually start (this is when I get anxious). Eventually the screen changes to "Thank you for using Electrify America". I usually worry there as this sounds like a goodbye (rather than a hello) and then the screen will change to the charging screen and you will see the power ramp up.

It is a long process and maybe others have a different order of pushing buttons, juggling squirrels facing east and whatnot, but I had the best consistency with that. I have had a lot of issue with payment declined. Tapping almost never worked for me, so if you are using a credit card, always put the chip in. It never asks for a pin#, but that seems to have the most success.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem with EA chargers, but I go there because they are 350kwh. Not sure my I Pace can actually accomodate that much juice.

·
Administrator
2,851 Posts
Indeed, it cannot. Maximum charging rate that's been observed is somewhere around 100kW, and that only lasts for minutes ... 80kW is more like the standard maximum charging rate, and under average conditions it drops to maybe 60kW at 50% charge and down from there

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Per EA reporting (take it for what it is), the last time I charged at one (only for 17min 13 sec to get enough charge to get to a free DCFC charger) it peaked at 175kW o_O. A couple times before that it peaked at 110kW. Prior times (since EA started providing the info in charging history available in the app) peaked at a more reasonable102kW or less.

·
Administrator
2,851 Posts
I've had something like 150kW for a few seconds before it dropped down, almost as if the EA software was overenthusiastic before realizing that the kitty can't take that much. How long did those high rates last for you?

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I didn't even notice these outrageous rates until I read the charging receipt. I suspect that if it really happened it was very brief at the beginning of the charge. It's kind of like dernotte's charging graph shows odd data at the beginning before reality sets in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts