Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to charge your car full every time I am charging? Some people say we should only charge at 90% capacity unless we are going on a long trip to have better battery life.
Is there a setting that allows to set a charging percentage? Like charge until 90 or 95%?

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
Is it ok to charge your car full every time I am charging? Some people say we should only charge at 90% capacity unless we are going on a long trip to have better battery life.
Is there a setting that allows to set a charging percentage? Like charge until 90 or 95%?
JLR states there is no reason not to charge the car to 100%.

·
Registered
980 Posts
There are a couple of existing threads with this topic and information if you do a quick search. It would be good if some topics could be pinned as they are good reads and common information.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hot subject for debate.
Full regen begins at 97%-90% depending on the battery temperature. See the thin green line on the power meter at 9-11 o'clock? That's your max regen. This will save on brake use.
I believe that JLR would not tell you it's OK to charge to 100% daily unless it was safe. They are ones who warranty the battery. But in very cold or very hot weather? I'd be gentler and try to avoid 100% for more than a brief time. ie - Drive it as soon as it it's full.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes 100% each time is fine and even preferred. Of course if you only drive 10 miles a day you can skip a few days between charges.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Info. We only charge 2 tob3 times a week so I think 100% would work. Thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
But in very cold or very hot weather? I'd be gentler and try to avoid 100% for more than a brief time. ie - Drive it as soon as it it's full.
A few months back, on one of theFB groups someone had posted a response from a JLR Engineer on battery management in which he stated there is no reason not to charge to 100%. He also stated that in cold weather (below freezing) that it would b best to leave the car plugged in when parked to prevent them from getting too cold. I don’t recall any statements in regards to high temps

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A few months back, on one of theFB groups someone had posted a response from a JLR Engineer on battery management in which he stated there is no reason not to charge to 100%. He also stated that in cold weather (below freezing) that it would b best to leave the car plugged in when parked to prevent them from getting too cold. I don’t recall any statements in regards to high temps
Thanks! I seldom visit FB. Perhaps I should consider it.
I haven't had the car yet on a hot day. 97°F is the warmest it's been. I don't know yet if it will have reduced regen at high SOC + hot temperatures.

Not that it's related but it appears high temps are what impacted the Nissan Leaf battery life, since folk in hot areas had the most trouble. But the Leaf is air-cooled.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi All

I've read a number of articles about charging and if you charge to 100% every time you will get about 1000 cycles at full capacity. If you go from 20-30% to 80-to 90% you get 3000 cycles. Having a tesla in the past they recommended about 85% and if you would charge to 100% all the time a warning would come up not to.

There must be some type of counter in the I Pace that records the number of charges. Anyway with the temps climbing on the east coast I'm a little concerned about how hot the inside is going to get in the sun. Any comments you SOCAL guys?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi All

I've read a number of articles about charging and if you charge to 100% every time you will get about 1000 cycles at full capacity. If you go from 20-30% to 80-to 90% you get 3000 cycles. Having a tesla in the past they recommended about 85% and if you would charge to 100% all the time a warning would come up not to.

There must be some type of counter in the I Pace that records the number of charges. Anyway with the temps climbing on the east coast I'm a little concerned about how hot the inside is going to get in the sun. Any comments you SOCAL guys?
The battery in the iPace is warrantied to 8 yrs/100K miles whether you charge to 100% or not. I suspect for Jaguar to put this warranty, they would put in the battery management software the coverage to prevent degredation from charging to 100%, else their lawyers and finance would be coming down hard on them for potential warranty liability claims. If they did not design and test it properly, then this would be a major problem later. In the electronics world, we design and test for life time expectancy with potential warranty coverage in scope. Point being, don't worry, charge, drive, and be happy.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It is important to carefully read battery warranties. They are real but depending on manufacturer range loss of 20-40% may qualify as "in spec" in 8/100K. It doesn't say there will be no change in range and honestly that is to be expected.

The less cycles, the less time at 100% or low charge, the less overall heat all combines to how much range you can have later. But again keep in mind that a normal ICE car loses horsepower and efficiency over same time too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How about Fast Charging vs less fast?

A colleague of mine (who owns a Tesla Model S) said that Fast Charging (like 50kW) is not good for the battery and that it's better to use Level 2 (6-10 kW) over a longer period. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is important to carefully read battery warranties. They are real but depending on manufacturer range loss of 20-40% may qualify as "in spec" in 8/100K. It doesn't say there will be no change in range and honestly that is to be expected.

The less cycles, the less time at 100% or low charge, the less overall heat all combines to how much range you can have later. But again keep in mind that a normal ICE car loses horsepower and efficiency over same time too.
Jaguar is 70% per the warranty, https://www.jaguarusa.com/about-jaguar/elitecare.html
But this does not mean every car will degrade to this level, this is what they set up as their worst case to minimize the need to cover all potential claims. We guard band against this number in the electronic world to ensure that only a small % will be affected if any.

Depending on the battery chemistry, a full discharge could be as detrimental to a battery as a full charge, such as in my LiPo mini RC vehicles, we cannot discharge below the threshold voltage, but charge to full all day long. We don't know the full chemistry of the iPace battery nor the BMS they use and hence the reliance on the warranty to guide how to charge and use the vehicle.

My LiPo batteries can be charged fast or slow and still have the same performance with minimal degradation, just not over charged more than their rating (1C, 2C, 4C, etc). The same is applying in BEV's, but much more complicated and driven by the manufacturers of the battery, BMS, and vehicle.

Agree as stated, ICE vehicles degrade over time as well, my AWD Ford Flex used to get about 350miles on a tank new, now at 120Kmiles and 11 years, it is down to 297miles, so all vehicles will give up some range over time.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
A colleague of mine (who owns a Tesla Model S) said that Fast Charging (like 50kW) is not good for the battery and that it's better to use Level 2 (6-10 kW) over a longer period. Any truth to that?
That is what the car is designed for. Currently, most I-Paces are capped at 84 kW (200 amps). Teslas charge at higher C rates than that.

C rate is the ratio between the charging rate in kW and the battery size in kWh, or 84 / 90 or 0.93 C rate charging.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi All

Try not to compare to Tesla. This is an I-Pace with LG battery.

I agree with giving a full charge without worry. However if you only drive 20 miles a day maybe just charge once a week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Battery Issues

I have had a consistent issue with an inconsistent battery.HELP! I am using an adapter from my Tesla charger which works well but I lose between 20 and 35% battery to odometer and often the battery indicator freezes for 10 or 20 miles, at times lose about 5 miles when I start the car and other times gain 10. Back at Jaguar for the 2nd time. ANYONE else having battery issues?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Most of the sources I see say that your battery will maintain it's peak capacity longer if you generally don't charge to it unless you need it. Tesla guys say "If you charge to 100%, you should be using that charge right away, and not leaving it stored that way for any length of time."

If you lose 30% of your capacity, that drops your 230 mile range to 150. That's pretty harsh. (Though, you could argue if you only charge to 75%, you're essentially living with 150 miles of range all the time). But, the point is that, if you generally live that way, 4 years from now when you have a need to use 200+ miles of range, you'll still have it available in the car.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have had a consistent issue with an inconsistent battery.HELP! I am using an adapter from my Tesla charger which works well but I lose between 20 and 35% battery to odometer and often the battery indicator freezes for 10 or 20 miles, at times lose about 5 miles when I start the car and other times gain 10. Back at Jaguar for the 2nd time. ANYONE else having battery issues?
Are you using a Tesla UMC or HPWC by using a J1772 adapter like TeslaTap?

There is no guarantee that method will work without any bugs. It's a Tesla product coded to communicate with Teslas. It should charge OK since it's J1772 compatible, but the data stream might be wrong.

The Estimated Range gauge changes based on many factors. The Mode Selector, the Climate Control, the temperature. It doesn't change how much energy is stored in the battery. 100% is 100%.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Only time I see that fluctuation is when the climate control decides to turn itself on or turn itself off at start up. Doubt you have a real issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Battery Issue

Thank you all. Yes, I have the adapter to my Tesla charge but Jaguar doesn’t think that is the issue. I spoke to the corporate tech guy who said mine is the only one they have heard of with these issues. I have kept track on a daily basis for several days to see the fluctuation, parked and it goes down by 20, start car, drive a mile and it goes up by 10, then freezes on some battery number for maybe 10 miles, etc. per above. Consistently not efficient. I charge to about 230 - 240. No problem when doing typical city driving but I won’t drive it for a distance of over 125 miles. Jaguar in Los Angels has now had it for 10 days and still checking . . .

Please let me know if anyone else is using the adapter and/or having battery issues. I am currently the “test case.”

1 - 20 of 21 Posts