Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
After 9 months I'm seeing my 1st big issue. I went for a drive today to upstate NY. On the way up the car would not charge at a couple of Greenlots chargers. No problem - I headed to an EA site and charged from 9% to 41% at which point it quit and I could not get it to restart at any of 6 chargers. I still had enough juice to reach my destination with 24miles (9%) left. Thought I would use the trickle charger for the 1st time. Car will not proceed beyond initializing.
Unplugged it.
I'll try again in the morning. Overwise a long tow job through the mountains for kitty.
Any suggestions?
I have just had a very similar issue, tried charging yesterday at electrify america, tried 5 different stations, none worked, all came up with issue that charge not initializing, tried today at a 2 different chargepoint stations, same issue, booked to go into jaguar tomorow, hopefully will be a short fix.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have just had a very similar issue, tried charging yesterday at electrify america, tried 5 different stations, none worked, all came up with issue that charge not initializing, tried today at a 2 different chargepoint stations, same issue, booked to go into jaguar tomorow, hopefully will be a short fix.
Check to see if the chargering cable is locking in place. For mine, the locking pin was not dropping into place.
Not sure why yet, but I will report what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW, when my car would charge on L3 but not on L1/L2 it was diagnosed as the internal charger. It's still in the shop being repaired/replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 9 months I'm seeing my 1st big issue. I went for a drive today to upstate NY. On the way up the car would not charge at a couple of Greenlots chargers. No problem - I headed to an EA site and charged from 9% to 41% at which point it quit and I could not get it to restart at any of 6 chargers. I still had enough juice to reach my destination with 24miles (9%) left. Thought I would use the trickle charger for the 1st time. Car will not proceed beyond initializing.
Unplugged it.
I'll try again in the morning. Overwise a long tow job through the mountains for kitty.
Any suggestions?
Not sure if this will solve your issue, however, our 2019, HSE, I-Pace that used to consistently show a 286 driving range at a full charge suddenly dropped to the low 230s. Took it to the dealer who could not improve the driving range to the previous 286 miles but did get it up to 252 miles. That range held for a few months but then, once again, suddenly dropped down to 220 milesthis time. Dealer could not improve upon that so I checked on a forum (perhaps this one?) and saw that my problem had been addressed and solved by doing the following which, I'm not sure will help you out but, for what it's worth, here it is:

Get into your I-Pace and without applying the brake, press the Start button. Release it and then depress the brake and the accelerator simultaneously for approximately 10 seconds or until such time as the available driving range resets.

That worked for me, getting the range back up to 252 miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Check to see if the chargering cable is locking in place. For mine, the locking pin was not dropping into place.
Not sure why yet, but I will report what the dealer finds.
Good news!
After 4 days at the vet, kitty is feeling better and charging happily.
Thanks to Albany NY JLR for a quick turnaround. Paperwork said they diagnosed a broken charging port actuator and replaced. Not sure if this means the whole charging port or not.
They charged kitty overnight, and after bringing it back to the Adirondacks, I've got the trickle charger going.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same experience today taking our first trip in the I Pace. Got down to about 12% before stopping at an EA DCFC, which got us up to 63% in no time but quit. I tried to restart the session several times, but chocked it up to a bad charger. The others were occupied so we found another DCFC about 100 miles further along our route and decided to head for it. Got there and had the same issue.

In retrospect it was good that we kept going because the second charger was located only five miles from a dealer — close enough that we drove instead of having the roadside assistance tow us.

The only positive thing that came out of the experience is that JLR roadside assistance includes trip interruption coverage, so we rented an SUV and continued on our trip.

My only hope is kitty is fixed before we head back home. Otherwise JLR is also going to be paying to fly us home.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I had the same experience today taking our first trip in the I Pace. Got down to about 12% before stopping at an EA DCFC, which got us up to 63% in no time but quit. I tried to restart the session several times, but chocked it up to a bad charger. The others were occupied so we found another DCFC about 100 miles further along our route and decided to head for it. Got there and had the same issue.

In retrospect it was good that we kept going because the second charger was located only five miles from a dealer — close enough that we drove instead of having the roadside assistance tow us.

The only positive thing that came out of the experience is that JLR roadside assistance includes trip interruption coverage, so we rented an SUV and continued on our trip.

My only hope is kitty is fixed before we head back home. Otherwise JLR is also going to be paying to fly us home.
That sounds exactly like my case. Did you notice anything unusually right before the EA charger stopped?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Vinsuz, was there a L2 charger you could have tried? It would have been much slower, but it might have gotten you over 63%.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When we finally made it to the dealership they had an L2 ChargePoint charger that I wanted to try but Enterprise arrived with our rental and the fam was restless.

I wasn’t really paying attention when it stopped charging, but we were sitting in the car with the a/c and CarPlay running off the “alternator” (12V battery?). When I started troubleshooting with EA they had me shut everything off and lock/unlock the doors but it was already too late.

I did look in the socket for bent connectors but I didn’t know to look for the locking pin. I didn’t hear the locking pin lock on the failed attempts on the EA charger but did on my last attempt on the CP DCFC charger.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
When we finally made it to the dealership they had an L2 ChargePoint charger that I wanted to try but Enterprise arrived with our rental and the fam was restless.

I wasn’t really paying attention when it stopped charging, but we were sitting in the car with the a/c and CarPlay running off the “alternator” (12V battery?). When I started troubleshooting with EA they had me shut everything off and lock/unlock the doors but it was already too late.

I did look in the socket for bent connectors but I didn’t know to look for the locking pin. I didn’t hear the locking pin lock on the failed attempts on the EA charger but did on my last attempt on the CP DCFC charger.
I've just got back from our trip to the wilds of upstate NY, and had a chance to go over the paperwork from the repair shop. They replaced the actuator solenoid. Checked the wiring - no problem.
Solution seems consistent with the problem. Since getting it back I've completed L1, L2, and L3 charging.

I asked whether you noticed anything 'cos the battery cooling system seemed to go into overdrive just before the EA charging stopped, and the solenoid blew.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts