Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9 months I'm seeing my 1st big issue. I went for a drive today to upstate NY. On the way up the car would not charge at a couple of Greenlots chargers. No problem - I headed to an EA site and charged from 9% to 41% at which point it quit and I could not get it to restart at any of 6 chargers. I still had enough juice to reach my destination with 24miles (9%) left. Thought I would use the trickle charger for the 1st time. Car will not proceed beyond initializing.
Unplugged it.
I'll try again in the morning. Overwise a long tow job through the mountains for kitty.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
692 Posts
After 9 months I'm seeing my 1st big issue. I went for a drive today to upstate NY. On the way up the car would not charge at a couple of Greenlots chargers. No problem - I headed to an EA site and charged from 9% to 41% at which point it quit and I could not get it to restart at any of 6 chargers. I still had enough juice to reach my destination with 24miles (9%) left. Thought I would use the trickle charger for the 1st time. Car will not proceed beyond initializing.
Unplugged it.
I'll try again in the morning. Overwise a long tow job through the mountains for kitty.
Any suggestions?
How scary! I haven't heard another story like this and can't figure out what's going on. Sending you best wishes that the car will charge. I've never heard of an I-Pace failing to complete a charge while charging was happening.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unplugged it.
Any suggestions?
Here is what has worked for me,
Try removing and inserting the plug or shake it a bit to overcome any rust Be very careful not to forcefully removing the plug from the car as it can damage the pin that holds it in place.

Lock and unlock the car.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How scary! I haven't heard another story like this and can't figure out what's going on. Sending you best wishes that the car will charge. I've never heard of an I-Pace failing to complete a charge while charging was happening.
Strange thing was I've used the Greenlots chargers many times with no problems. Yesterday these would not proceed beyond "initializing". At least the EA charger started up first time, and was charging at 79kW. Then it cut off.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
It seems as though most of these non charging issues revolve around (1) charging socket which is the most common fault (2) wiring harness from charging socket that goes to the BEM [Battery Energy Control Module] (3) BEM failure which seems the rarest fault. I imagine you have evaluated the locking pin is in good working order and is not bent out of alignment. If it is stuck my technician was able to pull it down with needle nose pliers and it then commenced to charge. Once that was determined he proceeded to replace the socket. Socket replacement is fairly straight forward. If wiring harness is replaced, I believe the protocol requires the car to be powered down. Good Luck and hope you are back on the road soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,287 Posts
Just out of curiosity, which (perhaps all) of your points 1-3 apply when charging is ok on L3 but fails on L1 and L2?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Do you pull up with all the windows and doors closed and unlocked?
I swear I had some issues last year with some goofy combination of the window down or back hatch up or some other random nonsense and I-Pace would just as you say get stuck initializing. This was on a Clipper Creek home charger so no pay or timer issues.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Strange thing was I've used the Greenlots chargers many times with no problems. Yesterday these would not proceed beyond "initializing". At least the EA charger started up first time, and was charging at 79kW. Then it cut off.
Did you have either H264 or H280 installed or any other software updates just before this charging session?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems as though most of these non charging issues revolve around (1) charging socket which is the most common fault (2) wiring harness from charging socket that goes to the BEM [Battery Energy Control Module] (3) BEM failure which seems the rarest fault. I imagine you have evaluated the locking pin is in good working order and is not bent out of alignment. If it is stuck my technician was able to pull it down with needle nose pliers and it then commenced to charge. Once that was determined he proceeded to replace the socket. Socket replacement is fairly straight forward. If wiring harness is replaced, I believe the protocol requires the car to be powered down. Good Luck and hope you are back on the road soon.
Where exactly is the locking pin? Can we see it when no charger is attached?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Just out of curiosity, which (perhaps all) of your points 1-3 apply when charging is ok on L3 but fails on L1 and L2?
When I had a no charge issue, the failed socket prevented me from charging on all types of charging levels. The wiring harness failure resulted in the same result. I have seen where some forum members were able to charge on level 3, but not levels 1& 2. I am not sure what was the fix in their case.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Where exactly is the locking pin? Can we see it when no charger is attached?
If you open the charging flap door when the car is unlocked, you should not see the locking pin protruding "down" from the top of the charging socket. If this is the case, leave the flap door open and lock the car. If the locking pin is in good working order, it will drop down from the top of the socket and will be visible. If it is still in the "up" position, this is when my technician was able to pull it down with needle nose pliers and adjust it so it would go up and down correctly which then permitted the car to commence charging when he plugged a charger into it.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you open the charging flap door when the car is unlocked, you should not see the locking pin protruding "down" from the top of the charging socket. If this is the case, leave the flap door open and lock the car. If the locking pin is in good working order, it will drop down from the top of the socket and will be visible. If it is still in the "up" position, this is when my technician was able to pull it down with needle nose pliers and adjust it so it would go up and down correctly which then permitted the car to commence charging when he plugged a charger into it.
Thanks. Just had a chance to check the pin.
It is not dropping on locking, however it appears to move freely.
Guess a trip to the not so local vet is in order.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
So if the locking pin is not dropping down when you lock the car, the car will not enter into charging status no matter what level charger you utilize. Now if the dealer has a charging socket in inventory, the repair should not take too long. The only real delay in the repair is if the car must be powered down and then powered up to check the repair. Please keep us posted on the outcome. I am sure many forum members will be interested.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if the locking pin is not dropping down when you lock the car, the car will not enter into charging status no matter what level charger you utilize. Now if the dealer has a charging socket in inventory, the repair should not take too long. The only real delay in the repair is if the car must be powered down and then powered up to check the repair. Please keep us posted on the outcome. I am sure many forum members will be interested.
Off to the vet this morning.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
850 Posts
Sad to see such a beautiful car getting towed. Best of luck!
Put yourself in the mindset that it is getting terrific range at the moment. Lots of miles and no electricity used. You won't feel as sad.

I'm hoping it's an easy and quick fix.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts