Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice: Use only if you have no other alternative.

So as an experiment, I drove the cat to 0% SOC and 0 miles showing. It had enough power to get into the garage for an expected long nap.
The supplied charger is labeled as 1.2kW output.

As of this typing, the charging has been going for 1.5 days. It just got to 40% and a claimed 100 miles. Estimated remaining time for full charge: 53 hours 33 minutes.

During the first few minutes the charging numbers look a bit ridiculous since they indicate unreasonable charging output from the charger at over twice its rated output. Refer to left side of the graph below.

The reality is that most of the charging will look like the "square wave" amber pattern stretching out just above the 1kW line.

The app/car guestimate for how long it will take to charge is as good as the GOM in the car. It starts out at 59 hours 59 minutes. For about 1 day, this would taper down to about 59 hours and then reset to 59 hours 59 minutes. I was busy with my actual job so I didn't notice exactly when but it started to taper off the recharging time and stopped resetting itself. It is a very slow tapering.

If you're reading this before purchase/lease of an I-pace, then take into consideration that you will need to a higher output charger for realistic charging. A rate of 1 or 2 miles estimated distance for every 1 hour of charging isn't going to be real world practical charging. You'll need a 220-240V outlet or hardwired service for a charger that either comes with the car as bargained for/offered as an incentive, or purchased from another source. Refer to numerous other threads about chargers that others use.

Yes, I can pull the plug on this experiment and connect to my Level 2 charger. I could also drive it to a DCFC (now that it has at least 18 miles estimated) and charge it a lot faster. However, I'm curious about how long this slow drip IV of electrons will take to sate the cat. I'll report the results later this week (I think).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Even if in the "initialization" phase, at the begining, the charging rate graph shows 2.5 or 3kw which is way above the 1.2 kw output spec , this is inline with the SOC increase rate we see. In the stabilization phase , on the right of the graph, the charging rate shows 1.1kw per hour and the SOC takes a longer time to bump by 1%. This can be seen with a L1 and L2 charger.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
85 Posts
I can’t imagine that anyone buys a new electric vehicle in the US without expecting to add a 240V charging station to their home. As you show above, it’s impractical to use 120V.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The data collection will get interrupted before it gets to 100%.

Either it goes into deep sleep mode on the 27th at 12:29:49 UTC, or I interrupt it in some manner to prevent the deep sleep.

It has reached 50% with 125 miles range indicated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I could have almost lived with that charger. I drive about 25 miles a day in total so I would put back a little over half of those during the week. So by Saturday morning, I would be down 62.5 miles which I could have recovered about 50 of that by Monday morning assuming I didn't drive over the weekend. Net loss for the week of about 12 miles. But who wants to charge the car every night and not drive it on weekends. Got an EVoCharge and had an electrician install a 6-50 plug on a new 40 amp circuit. Now I charge once a week or so over night and I am good to go.

Love the EV, love the I-Pace. May be my favorite car ever.

·
Registered
2020 S
57 Posts
My dealer didn't give me anywhere near a full charge when I bought my I-Pace so I tried out the 120V charger when I got home. Yikes. It was worse that I expected. I had originally thought I could get by without a level 2 charger. I figured I could drive the I-Pace to work everyday except Wednesday when I could drive my F150 to give the I-Pace a mid week charge. After charging a couple days and doing the math I figured the 120V charger wouldn't keep up for long even with the mid week charge.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ 60% and 36 hr 43 min estimate to go

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
Ooof.
That implies 92 hours of charging. How much time has elapsed so far?
I'm still sticking with my prediction of 87 hours, which is 86kWh at 1.2 kW with 23% L1 charging loss. But maybe it will be more? Or did it sit paused for a little bit?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ooof.
That implies 92 hours of charging. How much time has elapsed so far?
I'm still sticking with my prediction of 87 hours, which is 86kWh at 1.2 kW with 23% L1 charging loss. But maybe it will be more? Or did it sit paused for a little bit?
Started at 08:30 on 23 Aug. The 96 hours before deep sleep means that beddy bye time is the roughly 8:30 on Thursday.

65% 33 hr 4 min estimate to full charge

Are you still graphing the different metrics of the charge ?
Yes, but it's getting a bit squished together as it fits the graph on the screen.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ the 3 day mark: battery at 59.1kWh, 71% SOC, estimated 27 hours 46 minutes to full.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on the graphed data, it looks like every 24 hours the process gently heats the battery to about 30C over the course of 6 hours. The battery gently cools off after that until the start of the "next day.". The coldest graph point might be about 18C.

The car is in a garage that has varied from 77-82F during this whole time. The short times of the door opening/closing are not affecting it. The battery on the car is closer to the floor than the clock on the wall with the temperature display so there's going to be some difference. There's no claim that these temperature figures are scientifically, or sciencegeeky, accurate.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally at 80% SOC with an estimated 19 hr 40 min to go.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope so since I'm paying for them. :)

Is there any way to export/save the data captured by the charge graphing?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reached 90% with an estimated 10 hours 0 minutes to go.
Yes, the estimate to finish got longer, far longer, than the original estimate.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hard to believe you will really get that last 10% in 10 hours. I would expect the last 1% to take 2 hours or more. Maybe not as slow as you are charging. Probably has plenty of time to re-balance as it goes.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
458 Posts
Reached 90% with an estimated 10 hours 0 minutes to go.
Yes, the estimate to finish got longer, far longer, than the original estimate.
Can you show us the estimated range at 91%? 🙂 My guess is that the time window to view this stage of charging is quite wide.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The good news is that the API data is still being refreshed after it passed the "deep sleep" appointed moment.

Didn't catch it at 91%. At 92% it says 237 miles. That is comfort mode and my driving style, of course.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts