Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2019 I-Pace FE Photon Red
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started noticing this problem today. After plugging in at the CargePoint station at work, the dashboard indicates the car is charging (green). I noticed a clicking noise in the ChargePoint station and the icon on it was switching between charging and not charging. The I-Pace still indicated charging on the dash. After 3min the dash display changed to initializing and turned from green to grey. There are 4 different ChargePoint ports at work - I had the same problem at all of them. I stopped at a Tesla destination charger on the way hom (I have the adapter) and the I-Pace went from charging to initializing after 3min. Got home and plugged it into my garage ChargePoint - same thing. I also got a popup on the screen that said 'Insufficient power supply to charge vehicle'. Earliest dealer can take it is 10/31.

Could this be a problem with the 12V battery? Anyone ever get this message on the display?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
137 Posts
Have you tried a fast charger? Might be the converter in the Jag. AyePace will come and tell us precisely what is going on - best to wait for him.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried a fast charger? Might be the converter in the Jag. AyePace will come and tell us precisely what is going on - best to wait for him.
Thanks but nearest level 3 charger is on the NJ Turnpike. If the battery is not charging then I don't want to waste electrons going there.

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,273 Posts
Got a 12v charger or jump pack that you can hook up to the starter battery? Do that first then connect your home charger. Successful charging means you probably found the cause. A 12v charger should have at least 10A capability.

· Registered
995 Posts
Never had that problem before! Sounds like it’s the car since it happened on multiple chargers. Haven’t seen this reported before as a 12V problem but anything is possible when it comes to that.

I would try the charger that came with the car or any J1772 that you can plug into a regular outlet. Perhaps it ls relate to the charge connector or type. The lvl3 fast charger uses the other pins so that may work if the others dont

· Premium Member
2,273 Posts
I would try the charger that came with the car or any J1772 that you can plug into a regular outlet. Perhaps it ls relate to the charge connector or type. The lvl3 fast charger uses the other pins so that may work if the others dont
All of the J1772 and CCS Combo connectors use the same communication connections. It seems that in this case the onboard charger is failing to continue the conversation with the chargers. Also, make sure there is no accumulated dirt or other obstruction in the connector "slots" preventing the connection from being fully seated. The proximity and communication connections are sensitive to making sure there is a very good connection before beginning charging and continuing the charge. This is by design of the charging standards and not specific to Jaguar.

The extra 2 connections on the CCS Combo connector are the high voltage DC supply.

· Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Having looked at this further, I think the car is trying to tell you that it is not getting enough power from the charger to actually charge the vehicle. Given that this occurred with multiple chargers and connectors it would seem to be a charging port or onboard charger issue and not a 12V power issue.

As before, make sure that there is nothing preventing the cable from being fully inserted to the socket. You might use a toothpick to ensure the "grooves" in the socket are free from obstructions. Try holding the cable firmly into the socket until you hear the locking solenoid operate. If the charging stops, try pushing the connector back in. Let us know if you do this and it resumes charging. This would confirm a charging port issue.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having looked at this further, I think the car is trying to tell you that it is not getting enough power from the charger to actually charge the vehicle. Given that this occurred with multiple chargers and connectors it would seem to be a charging port or onboard charger issue and not a 12V power issue.

As before, make sure that there is nothing preventing the cable from being fully inserted to the socket. You might use a toothpick to ensure the "grooves" in the socket are free from obstructions. Try holding the cable firmly into the socket until you hear the locking solenoid operate. If the charging stops, try pushing the connector back in. Let us know if you do this and it resumes charging. This would confirm a charging port issue.
Thanks. I did try wiggling the J1772 connector at work and at home hoping it was a connector problem. No luck. I will get the shop vac out tomorrow and suck all the cobwebs out of the charging receptacle on the I-Pace. Will let you know if that does anything. As @Docrwm mentioned, it could be a problem on the I-Pace converter that changes AC into DC.

· Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Here's an old thread of a car stuck in initialization. They did replace the 12V startup battery but that didn't fix the problem. The car was finally healed with replacement of the BCCM (yes, that's the Battery Charge Control Module that controls the charging and AC to DC rectification).

· Premium Member
236 Posts
I like "Slam08" idea to try a level 1 charge. Might as well try it and rule it out too. Might try locking the car overnight and try again in the morning. Strange things sometimes happen to an I-Pace overnight. If all else fails hope it is just a corrupted module and software update will reset.

· Registered
498 Posts
You need to run the car down to less than 25 miles left. Stop at a Charger(at home) and try to charge. Then after finding it won't charge call Jaguar and tell them your car is broken and needs towing to your preferred dealer. When you and the car get to the dealer tell them you need a loaner until they get your car fixed.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If only loaners were available!
That's exactly the problem. I could drop the car off Monday morning but I would have to Uber back home. Unfortunately appointments are scheduled based on loaner availability, not technician availability.

Anyway, cleaned out J1772 receptacle. Problem still persists. I'm hoping the BCCM is something the dealer stocks, or can be readily shipped from JLR in Great Britain.

· Registered
48 Posts
When I first got my ipace I had a similar issue with it starting to charge then stopping shortly after. Turned out that it was due to the car having a preferred charging time set and wouldnt let me charge outside of that time-frame. Once I turned it off I havent had any issues since. If thats the case for you then the insufficient power message might be the cars way of telling you that the charger speed isnt fast enough to fully charge the vehicle during the set charging window. With how often people seem to have their settings reset its worth double checking at least. That's my best guess anyways.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I first got my ipace I had a similar issue with it starting to charge then stopping shortly after. Turned out that it was due to the car having a preferred charging time set and wouldnt let me charge outside of that time-frame. Once I turned it off I havent had any issues since. If thats the case for you then the insufficient power message might be the cars way of telling you that the charger speed isnt fast enough to fully charge the vehicle during the set charging window. With how often people seem to have their settings reset its worth double checking at least. That's my best guess anyways.
Thanks. Where is this setting? On the car or on the app?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts