Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick primer on charging the I-Pace, anno 2020

Nominal battery capacity is 90kWh, but there's a bottom and a top buffer of actual use, and a top and bottom buffer for displaying 0% to 100%. For purposes of discussion, I'm going to round things off and assert that there are 80kWh in the battery in the range of 0% to 100%.

I-Pace uses the CCS standard, which is not compatible with Chademo or Tesla Superchargers. CCS has a subtype, J-1772, which is a reduced plug for Trickle- or Level 2-charging. Thus, the I-Pace fast-charges via a CCS plug and Level2-charges via a J-1772 plug on the charger.

Each entry:
Mode of charging
1. Supplier
2. Charger specs
3. Time it takes from X to Y% SoC

Trickle charging
1. Jaguar-supplied cable that comes with the car in the US
2. 110V, standard home outlet.
3. Charges at about 1kW, so going from 0% to 100%, or 80kWh, will take 80 hours.

Level 2 charging
1. ChargePoint and a host of other suppliers for home, as well as Tesla Destination Chargers and Level 2 chargers installed at hotels and such
2. Typical specs are 240V / 32Amp outlet (e.g., via a NEMA 14-50 plug at home on a 50 Amp circuit), i.e., 7.2kW charging
3. Because this is AC charging that goes via a DC converter there is about 10% loss. So, assuming 6ish kW going into the battery, we're looking at 13 hours to go from 0% to 100%

DC Fast Charging (DCFC)
1. ChargePoint, Electrify America (EA), EVgo, and other fast charging suppliers. Akin to gas stations.
2. The most common type is currently 50kW. Faster chargers such as the more recent EA have greater nominal power; but the I-Pace throttles charging as the battery fills up, and so the average charging rate is in a fairly narrow band around 50kW.
3.a. A 50kW charger will charge at 50kW to 80%, then throttles. Thus, 0% to 80% takes about 1:15 hours. Another 20 min to get to 90%. Getting to 100% is a waste of time.
3.b. A 150kW charger will start charging at about 80kW but be quickly throttled down. Thus, 0%-80% will take about 1 hour. Then same as for 3.a. above

·
Registered
69 Posts
Exactly.... Thanks for this.

1kw for trickle 110v charging cable and 6-6.5kw from a level 2 charger in my garage at home.

My car definitely charges differently depending on DCFC power, battery temp and SOC. On a local 50kw charger, I get close to 50kw all the way up to about 65%SOC before it throttles. At another 350kw charger, I've never seen more than 48kw, even at 50%SOC and lower and by 65%SOC, the power throttles to 40kw or less.

So for my car and local DCFC stations, I'm looking at significantly longer than 1 - 1.5hrs to get to 80% from low SOC.

I don't have the H264 updates and my present telematics/battery software is at version 15.2, with no updates available at my local JLR dealership/service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excellent looks like I’ve found the knowledge base.
I’m in OZ so it’s all 240v/50hz or 415 3 phase.
Standard 10 amp set up 2400w = 37 hrs

Been offered 3 phase #2 cable set up which claims to deliver 22Kw on 32 amp circuit?
Is this an option, no doubt it’s not using the on board charger?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Excellent looks like I’ve found the knowledge base.
I’m in OZ so it’s all 240v/50hz or 415 3 phase.
Standard 10 amp set up 2400w = 37 hrs

Been offered 3 phase #2 cable set up which claims to deliver 22Kw on 32 amp circuit?
Is this an option, no doubt it’s not using the on board charger?
According to the lads over on the UK based ipace forums AC Charge is limited to 7Kw. The only way you'd be able to get more is it the charger output DC. So unless the charge cord has those two big DC pins I reckon it's going to max out at 7Kw. You might want to double check over on one of the UK forums since their power system is similar to yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts