Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All around me there are three-phase 22kw chargers being installed, but the I-Pace doesn't charge any faster on them than on the 7kw chargers that are also common. I bought a new cable but that didn't improve anything.
The handbook says the I-Pace will charge up to 7kw on a common all-garden charger or using the 50kw or 100kw fast chargers on the motorway. I asked the dealer if there was an upgrade to use 22kw chargers at full speed and they said to get anything faster I need to be connecting with a cable that uses the bottom two holes in the car's charging port. But tbh they are Jaguar dealers, not EV experts, so I'm really not sure. Anyway are such cables available commercially? I've only ever used those bottom two sockets when connecting to a fast charger on the motorway, when the cable comes with the charger.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,044 Posts
Moth, you didn't specify which model year you have.

Pre-MY21 will only go to 7kW on AC chargers due to the car's components. MY21 got upgraded to charging equipment capable of 11kW on AC.

The bottom two connections are for DCFC chargers where high voltage DC current is fed to the car via those connections. The 50kW and higher chargers are using those connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the explanation Ayepace, much appreciated. Mine is a First Edition so obviously it didn't pay to be an early adopter...

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
171 Posts
It would be great if the pre-2021 models could be upgraded with the newer components, but it’s highly unlikely or impossible in my opinion.

I’d love to have the improved charging speed, but it really wouldn’t give me much of a benefit. When I charge on my home charger, the car is connected overnight. It wouldn’t make a difference if it finished a few hours earlier. When I use public chargers, I use DC rapid chargers. They are plenty fast enough for my needs.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
585 Posts
I’d love to have the improved charging speed, but it really wouldn’t give me much of a benefit. When I charge on my home charger, the car is connected overnight. It wouldn’t make a difference if it finished a few hours earlier......
Doesn't seem to be worth anything significant for us in the US unless cheap rate electric rate hours are very restrictive as is the case in parts of Europe.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In North America, AC is mostly provided at 110-120V, and typical circuits are 15amps, max. So.... 22kw not really possible with our infrastructure. Europe uses a 220-240V standard for AC, so hitting 22kw is more 'normal' for a typical circuit.

If you put a 22kw charger in my iPace, I'm unlikely to be able to provide that power from the level 1 EVSE in my garage. My level 2 EVSE - 240V at 30A hits 7.2kw max.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interestingly you need a 100 amp supply to be able to get 7.2Kw in the UK. Been a while since I did physics mind you so there may be a very good reason for this.

·
Registered
MY21 I-Pace EV400 HSE
21 Posts
Interestingly you need a 100 amp supply to be able to get 7.2Kw in the UK. Been a while since I did physics mind you so there may be a very good reason for this.
Total demand. 7.2kW is around 32A and if you only have a 60A supply that doesn't leave much for showers, ovens, etc. Fortunately more and more houses have 100A now. I had my 7.2kW charger intstalled yesterday.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Total demand. 7.2kW is around 32A and if you only have a 60A supply that doesn't leave much for showers, ovens, etc. Fortunately more and more houses have 100A now. I had my 7.2kW charger intstalled yesterday.
Shame so few people have 3 phase supplies in the UK even now with the push to EV's

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
171 Posts
My home charger is 240V, 50A. It works well, although I only get 7.2kW. Fortunately I've got a 200A main supply and an secondary 50A supply. With the push towards more EVs, home builders are going to need to build more capacity in their homes for the future.

·
Registered
MY21 I-Pace EV400 HSE
21 Posts
My home charger is 240V, 50A. It works well, although I only get 7.2kW. Fortunately I've got a 200A main supply and an secondary 50A supply. With the push towards more EVs, home builders are going to need to build more capacity in their homes for the future.
It's a shame the only single phase 11kW charger you can buy is the Tesla Wall Connector Gen3, that would allow you do charge at 11kW if you had a MY21 I-Pace.

·
Registered
22 Posts
,@ChrisSB,

Actually, no and no...
No#1
MY2021 can charge at 11kW but only on 3 phase (3*230V*16). In single Phase, it too charges at 7.4kW, (1*230V*32A).
No#2
The Tesla wallbox you have in mind does not deliver 11kW in single phase. It does so only in 3 phases. In a single phase this me would require 1*230V*48A. I am not aware of any AC charger that would draw 48A. In any case, not a single EV could swallow that.

·
Registered
MY21 I-Pace EV400 HSE
21 Posts
,@ChrisSB,

Actually, no and no...
No#1
MY2021 can charge at 11kW but only on 3 phase (3*230V*16). In single Phase, it too charges at 7.4kW, (1*230V*32A).
No#2
The Tesla wallbox you have in mind does not deliver 11kW in single phase. It does so only in 3 phases. In a single phase this me would require 1*230V*48A. I am not aware of any AC charger that would draw 48A. In any case, not a single EV could swallow that.
Well it says 11.5kW/48A on the tech spec for the charger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grunt

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
3-phase power isn't coming to American homes anytime soon. This is a feature for people with three phase power who also want faster than 7kwh charging but not full 50kwh charging. It's just unnecessary. I'd say that 99% of the time, 7kwh is overkill and 1.5kwh would be sufficient for our usage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts