Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my I pace a week ago, and yesterday when I started the car I got a message on the instrument panel: CHARGING SYSTEM FAULT DETECTED. I pressed OK to clear the message. The car Otherwise functions normally-I drove it back home.
Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Are you able to successfully charge the car? If so it could have just been a fluky thing, but keep an eye on it. As a new owner you should also ensure the dealer has performed all the necessary software updates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I haven’t tried to charge the car. Am waiting for Jaguar assistance person to come over and check the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my I pace a week ago, and yesterday when I started the car I got a message on the instrument panel: CHARGING SYSTEM FAULT DETECTED. I pressed OK to clear the message. The car Otherwise functions normally-I drove it back home.
That happened to me, and my car would not start at all. It turned out that the "charging system" is the function that charges the car's 12V battery. In my case, it was a lose battery cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That happened to me, and my car would not start at all. It turned out that the "charging system" is the function that charges the car's 12V battery. In my case, it was a lose battery cable.
Thanks. It was a software update for the Battery Charging Module in my case. The Jaguar assistance guy was very good, sorted it out. But this update should have been done by the dealership before the car was handed over to me. I have shared the feedback with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it just happened to me today. I have had my car since May of last year and I have a bout 5000 miles on it. Did anything else happen to you after?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it just happened to me today. I have had my car since May of last year and I have a bout 5000 miles on it. Did anything else happen to you after?
I called Jaguar assistance, a software update had to be done, all okay after that, has'nt happened agin.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
735 Posts
I know modern cars are so much more advanced than "old" cars. Today's cars are faster, safer and build quality is much better. But...all this reliance and need for software updates have crippled us!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I know modern cars are so much more advanced than "old" cars. Today's cars are faster, safer and build quality is much better. But...all this reliance and need for software updates have crippled us!
Sadly as someone who has developed complex software and sustenance for over 30 years it’s not reliance on software. Digital control, has transformed all industries, including ICE engines, driving dynamics, stability etc. Problem is we no longer have software engineers who are trained and understand the underlying hardware and it’s implications, and we are relying more and more on “rapid development” systems and technologies that were supposed to make software more reliable and robust, but have had the opposite effect. I fear this is only getting worse as older generations of software professionals are aging out, the younger talent doesn’t have the depth or skill set.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sadly as someone who has developed complex software and sustenance for over 30 years it’s not reliance on software. Digital control, has transformed all industries, including ICE engines, driving dynamics, stability etc. Problem is we no longer have software engineers who are trained and understand the underlying hardware and it’s implications, and we are relying more and more on “rapid development” systems and technologies that were supposed to make software more reliable and robust, but have had the opposite effect. I fear this is only getting worse as older generations of software professionals are aging out, the younger talent doesn’t have the depth or skill set.
I am not sure about this. A good modern CI/CD pipeline is a much better idea than what was acceptable in years gone by. I also think that hundreds of thousands of lines of code and multiple microservices are much harder to debug than historic higher level languages with more compact code

The real problem is the lack of sufficient investment into a good CI/CD pipeline and really effective and constantly maintained automated testing. It is the first thing to give in the push for faster delivery and shirt term lower cost but is a really foolish trade in the long term.

Contracting this out and not having enough internal understanding to effectively contract is what kills performance not skills per se. Most modern software engineers are far more skilled if less contextually aware than their 60's to 80's predecessors

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I think we just have different views and experiences. I have worked with incredibly stable production systems, with multiple different architectures, high data transfer rates, very high precision timing response (micro seconds or less), synchronization. The complexity and capability has not significantly increased. In fact with tool chains, third part software packages, various “languages” the job in a sense has gotten easier. But it has also prevented developers from learning techniques and understanding what they are working on. Outsourcing is an issue, but the fact that any serious system would be based on a Windows runtime (the infotainment) tells you a lot. A lot of “highly skilled” software developers don’t even understand the flaws of the systems they use just for ease, or because they were “trained.”

The contrast is in the drivetrain firmware. Manufacturers create highly time sensitive and complex control loops to drive any moderns car flawlessly. These developers are in a lot of ways more skilled than the ones you are mentioning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am not sure it matters a good automated test and continuous integration structure stop regression problems. There is no excuse for regression failures in modern software absolutely none. Sure other things can go wrong but regression is inexcusable and wholly preventable with care and yet it is regression which appears to cause many of the issues we see with the Jag software.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts