Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that if my car is charging (typically on a Level 2), and I open a door to get something out of the car for some reason, that the charging will stop and it will go permanently into "initializing." Charging does not restart.

The only way to get charging to restart is to unlock the charger, remove it, and plug it back in.

This is really a nuissance. Especially, for example, if my kid leaves something in the car and retrieves it. I get up next morning to find that my car has been initializing all night and is not charged up.

Is this expected? Is it some odd feature that has a purpose? Or is this an error?

Thanks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes I-Pace has issues with charging. Although mine has always restarted but I usually forget something right away if that matters.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,248 Posts
Yes it is in the owner's manual that charging will stop when the door is unlocked unless it is using DC charging.
Relock the doors and wait a minute.

If it doesn't restart by then, unlock and lock the driver door again.

I should add that there is up to 6 second delay between the door unlock and charging connector unlock.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here's how I do it.

Fob stays in my pocket the whole time.
When car is charging L2 and is locked, I press the button on the door, car unlocks and I open the door.
When the car unlocks, it stops charging, white light comes on, I open the door.
I get my briefcase out of the car, close the door, then press the button on the door again, locking the car.
The green light comes back on and car continues to charge.
I touch neither the fob or the charging handle.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I leave my car unlocked in garage, if I open the door charging stops, then if I don’t start car and just close the door and walk away it resumes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting old thread.
I was using an Ionity DC charger today and noticed that when I opened the door, the car was unlocked when I started charging, the charger stopped and I had to restart the charging process from the beginning. The initialising phase didnt re-establish charging again. This also happened with another HPC system. Why should the charging process be ended by opening the door? Surely it should only be ended when you press the release button on the charging port (or manually at the charger)?

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
315 Posts
Not only the doors seem to cause this. I have had issues starting a charge when the bonnet isn't properly closed.

Never had an issue with DC interruption when opening doors I can't recall it being an issue for me with AC either. However if I have ever had an interruption using third party chargers, which does seem to sometimes happen randomly (and unconnected to opening doors etc) I have always found I needed to do a full restart of the session.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not only the doors seem to cause this. I have had issues starting a charge when the bonnet isn't properly closed.

Never had an issue with DC interruption when opening doors I can't recall it being an issue for me with AC either. However if I have ever had an interruption using third party chargers, which does seem to sometimes happen randomly (and unconnected to opening doors etc) I have always found I needed to do a full restart of the session.
Maybe it's something to do with the CCS plug fit?
This never happens at home when I'm AC charging if I open the doors. The fit of the Type 2 plug is much tighter than the the CCS plug.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
353 Posts
I never had this issue when I fast charged on a trip from California to Arizona. In fact it required double or triple unlocking using the remote to make the charge stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts