Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I didn’t t understand your answer to my question so I’ll ask again.
If you put the car in immediate charge mode (tell it to start charging when plugged in, not at low cost hours) does it start charging normally?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I didn’t t understand your answer to my question so I’ll ask again.
If you put the car in immediate charge mode (tell it to start charging when plugged in, not at low cost hours) does it start charging normally?
I didn’t try it. But I don’t think it would’ve mattered…

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well ok but I suspect you have the timed charging bug that came with 3.2 that I posted about a while ago. My bet is that you turn timed charging off and plug in it charges just fine and that’s going to be your life until they fix the software.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Charger under the car controls the AC amps to itself. It doesn't matter if you are using 100amp breaker in your electrical panel, 2AWG wires going from the panel to your 80 amp EVSE breaker, the car charger under the car is what controls the amperage(~29 to 30amps maximum from 240vac).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I charged at a ChargePoint DC 62amp charger last week without a problem. This was about 4am and it was cool. 2 days later I came back to the same charger and it worked OK while I was getting lunch. I returned and unlocked the door and the charger tripped. I waited and it did not restart. I had to use the emergency pull under the hood to get the plug out. I tried at least 5 times to restart the charger and the car and charger both said Initializing, but would not go any further. Temperature was about 90f. I made it home by driving slowly with the windows open. When I got home I plugged my 240vac EVSE cord into the car and got the same response, Initializing. I then tried my old Ford 120vac EVSE and it worked OK immediately. I retried my 240vac plug and it worked. Something in the car is causing my problem. One thing new, while I was visiting, a few hours before I used the ChargePoint Charger the second time, I used my Jaguar 120vac EVSE for the 1st time since I bought the car. It worked OK.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well ok but I suspect you have the timed charging bug that came with 3.2 that I posted about a while ago. My bet is that you turn timed charging off and plug in it charges just fine and that’s going to be your life until they fix the software.
I hope not!

Hopefully my issue was the charger. I’ll update if the problems comes back of course. It would suck if it was the car in the end!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I charged at a ChargePoint DC 62amp charger last week without a problem. This was about 4am and it was cool. 2 days later I came back to the same charger and it worked OK while I was getting lunch. I returned and unlocked the door and the charger tripped. I waited and it did not restart. I had to use the emergency pull under the hood to get the plug out. I tried at least 5 times to restart the charger and the car and charger both said Initializing, but would not go any further. Temperature was about 90f. I made it home by driving slowly with the windows open. When I got home I plugged my 240vac EVSE cord into the car and got the same response, Initializing. I then tried my old Ford 120vac EVSE and it worked OK immediately. I retried my 240vac plug and it worked. Something in the car is causing my problem. One thing new, while I was visiting, a few hours before I used the ChargePoint Charger the second time, I used my Jaguar 120vac EVSE for the 1st time since I bought the car. It worked OK.
Did you try restarting the car software? Not just turning the car off and on. Sometimes it’s like a computer and a restart just works.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
11 Posts
I had a similar situation that ended up being the GFCI circuit breaker dedicated to the charger going bad. When I touched the breaker on the panel, it was very hot to the touch. Although some codes require GFCI breakers for outside use, I replaced it with a "dumb" breaker and the problem when away.

FWIW, the I Pace performs its own ground fault testing, so I don't think a GFCI breaker is really needed for this use.
2 GFCI breakers in the same circuit can cause a conflict and result in frequent, unpredictable, and premature cutoff. New building code slated to go into effect this year is going to mandate an external GFCI if the circuit ends in a plug - even if the charger already has one. The solution is going to be hardwiring the charger with its own GFCI thereby bypassing the new idiocy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
New building code slated to go into effect this year is going to this year is going to mandate an external GFCI if the circuit ends in a plug
FWIW, This requirement (as it pertains to EV charging) has been in the NEC since 2017; it's not all that new.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
11 Posts
FWIW, This requirement (as it pertains to EV charging) has been in the NEC since 2017; it's not all that new.
Thanks. Apparently its newly required where I live per my electrician at my install. We went hardwired to avoid the conflict.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I don’t have 19-20 but I found this:

Power up the car, press and hold the overhead "optimized assistance" button (left button with the wrench symbol). It will blink. Continue to press until it starts to blink faster. Release the button and wait for it to stop blinking.

for PIVI pro it’s simpler, just hold down the volume button for forever and then let go

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,934 Posts
Slam, there is no driver reset capability for software on pre MY21.

That process above is only going to (supposedly) update a profile on the Jaguar servers and would prove/disprove the TCU could connect to Jaguar servers for sharing the data used by the app.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts