Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

I know there are contradicting opinions how's best to charge the I-Pace and other BEVs, what creates battery degradation and so on, but I'd still ask.

I keep track of every charge and since I got my I-Pace 7,000 miles ago I charged it 47 times:
40 times using my 7kW home charger (36 of those were ~20% to 80%, 4 times from ~20% to 100%)
5 times on a 50kW charger (~20% to 80%)
2 times on a 150kW charger (~30% to 90%)

Is there a good reason to fully charge the car all the way to 100% from time to time, e.g. for cell balancing? anything else?

· Registered
498 Posts
This has been discussed many times before times in this forum(and others). #1.The battery's managment softwares, are now reported to be able to equalize the battery cells (now days), even if your battery is not at 100% power. #2. Charging Lithium Ion Cells to 100% and letting them sit at 100% is not good for the life of the battery. (Ego Batteries have a timer and a resistor in them, to drain off the battery power, after sitting at 100% for more than a few days. Although they still have battery failures). (Consider 100% power as the maximum the BMS will allow you to charge the battery to, for this discussion.)

I keep my car normally charged to ~90 to 200 miles for around town running. I use the 120v EVSE breaker to do this, allowing me not to worry about charging the car up more than I want it to. It helps to have had an electric car before, that only had a 72 mile rage max.

· Registered
286 Posts
I would say first of all that it is hard to generalize across all BEVs, since different manufacturers take different approaches to battery maintenance and have different software managing the battery and the charging process. For example, the I-pace has a both a "false floor" and a "false ceiling" meaning that 0% and 100% indicated states of charge do not actually represent 0% or 100% of the physical battery capacity. Teslas, on the other hand do not appear to have a false ceiling and you can indeed charge them up to 100% of their rated capacity.

Similarly, different manufacturers will have a different approach to things like cell balancing or calibration of the battery management system.

The received wisdom specific to the I-pace is that it is safe to charge the car to 100% because of the aforementioned false ceiling. It is also generally thought that doing so, at least occasionally, allows the BMS to balance cells and calibrate itself. Similarly running the battery low (therefore using it over a larger range) may also help the BMS calibrate. (These actions are not actually reducing or extending the life of the battery, they are just allowing the BMS a wider sample range to calibrate its capacity estimates from)

The only really dangerous thing for a lithium batter is over-discharging it, and all EVs have a false-floor to prevent you from damaging the battery.

TLDR: Just do whatever is convenient for you and the car's software will protect you from doing serious damage.

· Registered
995 Posts
TLDR: Just do whatever is convenient for you and the car's software will protect you from doing serious damage.
This. I don’t spend too much time thinking about the battery. Maybe if I notice that it is failing I can look up ways to make it degrade faster so that I can hit the 70% threshold for Jaguar to replace it!

· Registered
25 Posts
I've been charging my car upto 100% at least once a week. usually get it down to 40% to charge. once in a while it will get down to 30% but that is rare. I usually like to keep it between 60 to 80 on a daily basis. in 3 years I have not noticed any loss of range other then when I replaced the the tires with Conti DWS plus, that alone took off about 30 miles of range.

I have never used a fast charger, only use a 7kw 240v charger 100% of the time. I've got over 40k miles on the clock.

· Registered
995 Posts
I found this which echoes what @kkemp said. The I pace has a 90 kW battery and 84.7 is usable (I think). So there is safety built in. When it says 100% the battery is not really 100% and when it says 0% the battery is not really 0%

· Registered
995 Posts
And an interesting point about Jaguar vs Tesla. When I charge my I pace to 100 I don’t get any warnings. When I charge the model Y to 100 I get an alert every time. This supports the idea that Tesla doesn’t have a false ceiling but the Jaguar does.

· Registered
2023 Jaguar I-Pace HSE Santori Black
16 Posts
I actually found this YouTube video on a forum somewhere can’t remember if here or not but I thought was good about charging. This video from Stephen Boulter who led the engineering team in designing the I-Pace. He talks about charging to 100% and why you shouldn’t need to worry for the same reasons already mentioned. It is long but I think good. If you just want to see the part about charging it starts at 48:50. There are other good parts as well however talking about the lane assist, etc.

· Registered
479 Posts
Have recently been without my level 2 charger for about 2 weeks. So I used the dc fast chargers between the house and office. Never went above 80% or below 30%. Used them 3 times and wasn’t that impressed frankly. Glad to be back doing level 2 overnight for a penny a kWh :)
A penny /kwh! That's like a half tank of gas for 90 cents.

· Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
137 Posts
A penny /kwh! That's like a half tank of gas for 90 cents.
Yes, Georgia Power does an overnight rate (11p-7a) that is 1 cent per kwh. I am very fortunate. My friend who is in a municipal power system 10 miles from me has 10 cents per kwh as his lowest rate! 10000 miles at my current rates will cost me around $40 (us) this year when charging at home. (80kw per 200mi = 80kw times 50 fill ups for 4000kwh or $40.00).

· Premium Member
2020 I-Pace S
137 Posts
California has rates 22 times BETTER rates than your measly $0.01 per kWh. Take that clean air. Clean pockets too!

View attachment 7182

I need to get out of this place, lol
Still 3x cheaper than my last BMW.
Your electricity is socially superior to ours in GA. Still, I don't want to pay for the privilege but merely to get the magnets moving at the lowest cost.

· Registered
50 Posts
Hi forum,

I know there are contradicting opinions how's best to charge the I-Pace and other BEVs, what creates battery degradation and so on, but I'd still ask.

I keep track of every charge and since I got my I-Pace 7,000 miles ago I charged it 47 times:
40 times using my 7kW home charger (36 of those were ~20% to 80%, 4 times from ~20% to 100%)
5 times on a 50kW charger (~20% to 80%)
2 times on a 150kW charger (~30% to 90%)

Is there a good reason to fully charge the car all the way to 100% from time to time, e.g. for cell balancing? anything else?
Charging to 100% gives you the range you paid for.

· Registered
498 Posts
I actually found this YouTube video on a forum somewhere can’t remember if here or not but I thought was good about charging.
The main item I get out of the Jaguar reps speech, on battery longevity, is slower AC charging should be periodically used to balance the cells. DC charging does not spend enough time to allow good balancing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts