Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Aw man, that sounds really sad. I hope they figure it out soon. Fingers crossed for you!
Thank you for the good wishes!

I did learn one useful thing so far: At the frontmost outside corner of the passenger foot well there is a round cover that can be removed by hand. There is a hood logo on it. If your battery ever dies or the electric hood latch fails, there is a cable under that cover that can be pulled to open the frunk.

The only thing they've determined so far is that the car appears to have more than adequate charge even though their computer doesn't detect any communications from the diagnostic port. I'm not sure how they determined the charge state, but that makes sense since one of the last things I saw was a range of 147 miles remaining, which was about right from the distances traveled from the last full charge.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thank you for the good wishes!

I did learn one useful thing so far: At the frontmost outside corner of the passenger foot well there is a round cover that can be removed by hand. There is a hood logo on it. If your battery ever dies or the electric hood latch fails, there is a cable under that cover that can be pulled to open the frunk.

The only thing they've determined so far is that the car appears to have more than adequate charge even though their computer doesn't detect any communications from the diagnostic port. I'm not sure how they determined the charge state, but that makes sense since one of the last things I saw was a range of 147 miles remaining, which was about right from the distances traveled from the last full charge.
Any word yet from the dealer? I hope you're up and running again soon. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the F-Pace. I had one as a loaner and was pretty disappointed although I didn't like the Evoque either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The service advisor and techs are doing a great job of staying on top of this!

The charge control module has been diagnosed as the culprit with the help of Jaguar engineering in England, a replacement has been ordered, and procedures on how to replace it have been sent (I gather it wasn't in the existing service manuals). It's sounding like I should be up and running before too long.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The service advisor and techs are doing a great job of staying on top of this!

It's sounding like I should be up and running before too long.
Glad things are going well! The I-Pace drives so well and I enjoy it so much that I get impatient when it's in the shop. My stomach gets butterflies while waiting for it's return.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow what a horrible nightmare! I feel really terrible for you StormRune...

If it makes you feel any better, my i3 I had (both of them) would randomly lock up trying to disengage the charge cable and gas door at the gas station of course. This would always happen on the day you're really in a hurry and that #&%^$ charge cable won't disconnect! Same thing, have to open the hood and find the incredible non-obvious stealth button that you would never guess is the electric door release, which you have to pry out with a screwdriver to even get loose. And then of course it may still not do the trick... and to further the annoyance of all that, they made the cable out of plastic that stretches so you can break it and or distort it trying to pull hard enough to open it... And the same with the gas door release.... So BMW is guilty of bad engineering too...

I sincerely hope your car is taken care of pronto and the dealer actually stocks the problem part for future breakdowns on other I-Paces...

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's been 10 days since the last post about my dead I-Pace and still no real progress. They got the parts 7 days ago but their procedures for this kind of a situation apparently don't allow them to work on it inside the shop or near other cars. It seems they must not be trying very hard to solve that part of the problem since the car just sat in the same spot all last week. I'm getting quite unhappy even though they've provided me with a decent loaner and my service advisor is informative when I ping him and I think he is doing all he personally can. But you'd think that Jaguar and the dealers would have prepped for handling electrics better than this.

Jaguar assigned a Customer Relations person to me after I used my Advisory Board membership to post a complaint there. The CR guy called me on Wednesday saying he was going to check with service to see how things were progressing and was going to check in, but he didn't call me back yet.

Here's a photo of it sitting out back of the dealership and baking for the last 10 days in the Texas sun... along with the electrical Danger warning sign that somehow feels like a badge of shame.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's been 10 days since the last post about my dead I-Pace and still no real progress. They got the parts 7 days ago but their procedures for this kind of a situation apparently don't allow them to work on it inside the shop or near other cars. It seems they must not be trying very hard to solve that part of the problem since the car just sat in the same spot all last week. I'm getting quite unhappy even though they've provided me with a decent loaner and my service advisor is informative when I ping him and I think he is doing all he personally can. But you'd think that Jaguar and the dealers would have prepped for handling electrics better than this.

Jaguar assigned a Customer Relations person to me after I used my Advisory Board membership to post a complaint there. The CR guy called me on Wednesday saying he was going to check with service to see how things were progressing and was going to check in, but he didn't call me back yet.

Here's a photo of it sitting out back of the dealership and baking for the last 10 days in the Texas sun... along with the electrical Danger warning sign that somehow feels like a badge of shame.
This really seems to be a dealer issue more than a factual problem of working on battery powered cars. Are there any other dealers within a reasonable distance that you can work with on the warranty work?

·
Registered
165 Posts
This really seems to be a dealer issue more than a factual problem of working on battery powered cars. Are there any other dealers within a reasonable distance that you can work with on the warranty work?
Unfortunately the next nearest would be close to a two hour tow. If push comes to shove, that isn't a bad idea to consider. I'll pursue that if something doesn't move forward shortly. I'm currently awaiting two callbacks this morning, one from the service manager at the dealer and the other from Jaguar Consumer Relations.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dealer only has 2 service technicians that are certified to work on the I-Pace. For safety reasons, the dealer/corporate won’t let non-certified techs near the vehicle. There is even a roped off designated area in the shop for working on I-Paces.

So, depending on the workload of your dealer’s I-Pace techs, your I-Pace may get backlogged. It’s happen to me at my dealer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, part of the problem is that there is only one tech trained for I-Paces here (as I understand it). I don't think this shop is big enough to have a dedicated spot... so maybe that is causing a problem for them. I hope to find out more today when I get a call back from the service manager.

·
Registered
165 Posts
And know they tell me their one tech that is allowed to work on the car is in training all this week and won't be back until next Monday. That will then be the 25th day since the car died. Gah!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good news! I got my I-Pace back today after a 5 week stay at the dealer (see the story in the posts above). As I understand it, they've replaced the battery control module with an updated version as well as two auxiliary batteries used for the electronic systems in the car. They also performed the software updates for the H213 regenerative braking recall and the H228 rollup. They left the infotainment at the 18C version until the new SOTA update becomes generally available. I was fine with this given the stories I've seen with newer versions here.

I'll need to take it back in to get a new hood cable they said is going to be replaced on all I-Paces and they're going to attach a new charge label per the H221 service action when it becomes available. They said both of those will be a quick while-I-wait change.

One of the delays on the repair came from them having to wait for a new kit with special protective gear (goggles, gloves, etc.) they must use when doing certain actions on the high voltage systems of the car. They said this was the first time they've (the dealer) have done something like this so it was certainly a learning experience for them. They did say that the TAs in England had seen this a few times before and helped coach them through it while also tracking the work as the repair was done.

Apparently they had to cordon off the area around the car when working on the high voltage steps and at one point had to have two extra people assisting the main mechanic in safety-related roles. I'm sure glad I didn't have to pay for any of this!

It's been so long since I've driven the I-Pace it was almost like driving a new car again and I'm having to rediscover its feel and control differences. It certainly feels a lot better than the loaner Discovery they had provided.

·
Registered
427 Posts
StormRune - I hope you will update periodically over the next couple of months to let us know if the fixes seem to be permanent. Good luck.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts