Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some confusion re charging.

I understand the 7.2Kw on board is only going to accept 240v/50, 10 or 15 amps. Now trick here as Im in OZ and it's standard issue (we don't use 110/60).
So with the home charge everyones wanting to give me a 7Kw system running off 240V, up to 32 amps, thats best case 12 hours charge.

I'm been told I can use a 3phase 415v/50Hz connection which can provide me with 22Kw per hour and thus charge at Home in 4 hours, plus its portable so I can take with me and connect to any 3phase source which is common in many work shops etc. - sounds great.

Confused as some WEB sites say I can't do this?

Any advise or experience.

https://evse.com.au/product/kwik-portable-type-2-22kw-charger-with-5-pin-australian-plug/

·
Registered
595 Posts
OK so most of us here are in the USA where our vehicles use 240v 32 amps single phase for a max of 7 kW charging.

Any alternating current is just going to drive the on-board charger that rectifies power to DC at the proper voltage. The on-board charger has its own design (7kW) limit that I believe is same world wide but I could be wrong. This 3-phase connection might supply the power but only 7 kW will get into the battery. In order to charge faster you will need the CCS DC connection from an external charger.

Your local dealer should be able to confirm the charging limits of your vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have read, the 22kw charging option suits other EV's such as the Mercedes EQC but the Jaguar Ipace is limited to 7kw. It would however be a nice option for future models.

·
Registered
999 Posts
With three phase, you can get an L3 DC charger. Just expensive and not portable.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
The Jaguar Australia website FAQ does say you can charge faster at 22kW with a 32A mode 3 cable. It will be faster than the standard supplied charger.

Based on that, I think that charger you reference will charge your car faster as expected.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The Jaguar Australia website FAQ does say you can charge faster at 22kW with a 32A mode 3 cable. It will be faster than the standard supplied charger.

Based on that, I think that charger you reference will charge your car faster as expected.
Thank you for the correction. I have read about some cars that are 3-phase capable but this is the first I have heard on I-Pace. Again the dealer should be able to confirm.... although many are not trained with much technical knowledge.

I sure wish 3-phase was more common in the US.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I recently bought the New JuiceBox charger and ran 220 v to my garage wall - this is the 32 model .

I'll be doing a complete review of the charger and post it on this forum.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
I recently bought the New JuiceBox charger and ran 220 v to my garage wall - this is the 32 model .

I'll be doing a complete review of the charger and post it on this forum.

Mike

Looks good. They have moved away from the industrial look and addressed my biggest complaint which was the stupidly thick cable they used on the old ones.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
302 Posts
Looks good. They have moved away from the industrial look and addressed my biggest complaint which was the stupidly thick cable they used on the old ones.
I don't know about the cable. It looks like it's just as thick as the one I have, which is stupidly think and not very pliable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cyber,

You're right the cable is still a bit stiff - during cold weather you have to fight it. It is 25 feet though.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
I don't know about the cable. It looks like it's just as thick as the one I have, which is stupidly think and not very pliable.
I guess it is hard to gauge by the photo. It looked thinner to me. It doesn’t make sense why they use such a thick cable. I would not buy another JuiceBox and the thick cable is one reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts