Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer gave me a 16 amp charger which I have previously discussed on this Forum. I now decided to upgrade to 26 amp or 32 amp portable charger. I emailed several
manufacturers regarding their products and whether they recommend keeping the plug in the receptacle all the time or only plugging in when charging.

I received different answers, some recommended only plugging in when charging and others said the drain of electricity is so low, no problem to keep the charger plugged
in full time.

I would like to know what other Jag owners are doing.

·
Registered
2020 S
63 Posts
Mine is also always plugged in. I've heard that continually plugging and unplugging these big plugs is hard on the outlet - not sure if it's really true. My charger is mounted directly over the outlet and has a short cord. I don't want those prongs scarring the walls if it's left unplugged.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
850 Posts
There are people who tell you to go around and unplug every power adapter, appliance, etc., to eliminate all unnecessary power usage when those things are not in use.

The cost of wear and tear on me would be higher than any electric bill savings.

I leave my charger plugged in 24/7. When I'm away from home, I can use the phone app as one way to validate the power is on at home, the network is working, and what the home voltage is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ChargePoint 24/7 plunged I’m by the short cord that comes with it and mounted above receptical. I’ve had zero issues . Motivated me to check the rates of my power provider - which were way too high it turned out so switched

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
There are people who tell you to go around and unplug every power adapter, appliance, etc., to eliminate all unnecessary power usage when those things are not in use.
I'm one of them ;)
Actually not quite. Compared to my new beer fridge it uses a heck of a lot less power. But I do unplug every time anyway. I only charge once every ~10 days and I don't want to keep it plugged in. Search the site for "nanoballs" for some entertainment around this question.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My concern with leaving the charger plugged in is not the use of electricity, I don't care what it cost, I am concerned about the possibility of over heating and possibly causing a fire.

I never unplug my low voltage stuff, However 32 amps is a lot of power. I understand that if the unit I buy is not portable, it will be hooked up to the electric full time, so my gut tells me either
those units are better built or leaving a portable plugged in is okay. I am leaving to a portable unit that I could take with me when I visit family members and friends.

·
Registered
2020 S
63 Posts
Keep in mind the actual charger doing the work is in the I-Pace. The charging station is really just a gateway and won't draw 32A unless it's got a load (the I-Pace's onboard charger) attached.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The wall EVSE is just a night light that closes a big relay to send power to the vehicle.
No real power or heat is created unless the vehicle is charging and the wall unit is just passing through the power during this charging.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another charging question. Notice as my Jag gets closer to a full charge the Charge Added per Hour goes down? Is this normal?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts