Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of 2019 iPace. Plugged it into the new Chargepoint charger in the garage. Seemed to charge fine but at around 98%, the charger started cycling off then on again about every 20 seconds. I can hear the click of the relay in the Chargepoint charger and the light cycles so I know it is going from charge mode to standby. Tried plugging in again and cycling the breaker. No change.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just took delivery of 2019 iPace. Plugged it into the new Chargepoint charger in the garage. Seemed to charge fine but at around 98%, the charger started cycling off then on again about every 20 seconds. I can hear the click of the relay in the Chargepoint charger and the light cycles so I know it is going from charge mode to standby. Tried plugging in again and cycling the breaker. No change.

Anyone else experience this?
Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the forum. I have a ChargePoint system but have never watched the car or charger as it nears 100%. However I have watched the progress of the charge in the graph provided by the app. As the charge gets to 100% the rate of charge decreases and then the battery goes into a cell balancing procedure. During cell balancing the car will draw power for short periods then stop and then start again until all cells are balanced.

I'm pretty sure that this is what you are seeing. Keep charging until the Jaguar Remote app reports charging complete and please report back that the battery is at 100%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. So it looks like the exhibited behavior is as you describe. It eventually stopped going on/off.

Car was at 100% this morning with 214 miles on it. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
247 Posts
OK. So it looks like the exhibited behavior is as you describe. It eventually stopped going on/off.

Car was at 100% this morning with 214 miles on it. Does that sound about right?
Glad everything worked out. You're range prediction will vary depending upon a number of factors. The best way to keep from going range crazy is to read the number of threads on this issue. On this forum the range prediction system is referred to as the Guess-o-Meter (GoM). Don't trust it and pay attention to the battery charge gauge just like a fuel gauge in a conventional car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Joe,

This spiking after a charge is not normal and certainly not in best interest of the cars charger and wall unit to have 30 amps cycling on and off for hours at a time. On one occasion it did it for hours.

I spoke to the folks at JuciceBox and they acknowledged some I Paces do it and others don't. If you have the capability, I would recommend that you end the charge at 90-95 percent or just cancel the charge manually to prevent this from happening. Some are under the impression its balancing the pack but this is not the case since the packs balances my shunting the high cells to ground to balance. I included a few images below to show the frequency.

Enjoy your new Ipace - Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
Joe,

This spiking after a charge is not normal and certainly not in best interest of the cars charger and wall unit to have 30 amps cycling on and off for hours at a time. On one occasion it did it for hours.

I spoke to the folks at JuciceBox and they acknowledged some I Paces do it and others don't. If you have the capability, I would recommend that you end the charge at 90-95 percent or just cancel the charge manually to prevent this from happening. Some are under the impression its balancing the pack but this is not the case since the packs balances my shunting the high cells to ground to balance. I included a few images below to show the frequency.

Enjoy your new Ipace - Mike

That is simply incorrect. Please ignore this post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts