Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have the ChargePoint 50Amp Flex home charger. Plug-in wiring into a 240v outlet set with a 50Amp circuit breaker.
The circuit breaker trips each time the car charges to 100% - right at that 100% mark.
Chargepoint replaced the unit. Same issue.
Set the amperage in the charging unit to 40amps using the ChargePoint app. Same issue.
Do I need a hardwired connection? Though the ChargePoint installation guide says plug-in install is fine for a 50Amp connection.
Any help much appreciated.

Super Moderator
Hi and Welcome!
I'm not an electrician but I think if this were a common problem we would have heard about it here on the forum as people are quite vocal about the issues they encounter. I suspect the circuit breaker or some other issue with your panel ...
How's the car otherwise? 馃嵑

EDIT: I missed the fact this is a 50 Amp charger .... agree with subsequent post

Registered
2020 S
First a 50A breaker can not handle a 50A load continuously. You need a 70A breaker and therefore wiring sized for 70A. If your electrician wired it that way knowing you were using a 50A charger, then find a different electrician. That being said the I-Pace won't charge above around 30A anyway.

Super Moderator
Is the charger set to 50 amps? The flex charger allows different currents, have you set it to 32? That's where it should be.

Registered
I have the ChargePoint 50Amp Flex home charger. Plug-in wiring into a 240v outlet set with a 50Amp circuit breaker.
The circuit breaker trips each time the car charges to 100% - right at that 100% mark.
Chargepoint replaced the unit. Same issue.
Set the amperage in the charging unit to 40amps using the ChargePoint app. Same issue.
Do I need a hardwired connection? Though the ChargePoint installation guide says plug-in install is fine for a 50Amp connection.
Any help much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! How long have you owned your I-Pace? Any photos yet?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,

Thanks much for your suggestions. I will start by setting the Flex amperage to 32Amps at the next charge.

5 months into getting my 2020 iPace, I am glad to have discovered this forum / community and to be part of it. Thanks all, and stay safe.

Registered
I've got the exact same charger (Chargepoint Home Flex), also set to 50A on a 50 amp breaker. The installation instructions that come with it explain that by setting it to 50A you are telling it that it's a 50A breaker and it will charge at 40A. I have the NEMA 6-50 plugin version, and it's plugged into the socket not hard-wired. I have never had this issue. I agree that looking into GFCI is worth it.

Here is a screenshot of the configuration. When you tell it 50A, it's answering the question about the breaker amperage. It will only take 40A load if you tell it your breaker accepts 50A.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know ... Also, when I was speaking with the ChargePoint tech about this issue, he indicated that the Flex charger should be hardwired for a 50Amp breaker connection and not plugged in, and he would escalate internally about modifying their documentation (as right now both 40A and 50A connections are approved for plug in). This may or may not be the issue ... but something I thought I should share. Thx.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts