Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have the CHargePoint home charger, and it works fine. With PG&E (awful) I moved to the timed plan, not tiered. So we entered the plan into the CP app, and it shows the right time to charge (12a-3p). Problem is whenever we plug it in, no matter the time, it starts charging.

We have no timer set in the vehicle. Just the charger.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey all,

I have the CHargePoint home charger, and it works fine. With PG&E (awful) I moved to the timed plan, not tiered. So we entered the plan into the CP app, and it shows the right time to charge (12a-3p). Problem is whenever we plug it in, no matter the time, it starts charging.

We have no timer set in the vehicle. Just the charger.

Any ideas?
I had the same problem with my Chargepoint system. If I set a timed charge in either Chargepoint or in the car/InControl Remote app charging would start immediately. Out of curiosity I set exactly the same charge time in both Chargepoint and InControl app and it's worked like a charm since.

Remember that you have to set a departure time in either the car or the InControl app and when you shut off the car you have to press "on" for departure time in the Goodbye screen. On the day you want to charge you have to select "on" when shutting down the car. I set a recurring departure for every Saturday to ensure there's one always set.

Some members post that they don't need to set a timed charge in both systems but I have never had success when using one or the other. It's an odd analogy but it seems as if both Chargepoint and the car are fighting for control over the charging.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem with my Chargepoint system. If I set a timed charge in either Chargepoint or in the car/InControl Remote app charging would start immediately. Out of curiosity I set exactly the same charge time in both Chargepoint and InControl app and it's worked like a charm since.

Remember that you have to set a departure time in either the car or the InControl app and when you shut off the car you have to press "on" for departure time in the Goodbye screen. On the day you want to charge you have to select "on" when shutting down the car. I set a recurring departure for every Saturday to ensure there's one always set.

Some members post that they don't need to set a timed charge in both systems but I have never had success when using one or the other. It's an odd analogy but it seems as if both Chargepoint and the car are fighting for control over the charging.
Thanks. I am new to this, but wouldn't setting a timer in the car prevent you from charging on the road if you needed to? That was my hesitation in setting the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks. I am new to this, but wouldn't setting a timer in the car prevent you from charging on the road if you needed to? That was my hesitation in setting the car.
Lol, there's been a ton of conversation about why Jaguar makes the driver select "on" to timed charging in the Goodbye screen and you've provided the answer - charging on the road. If you're charging on the road don't select "on" and the car will charge immediately.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My solution for on the road charging is to follow CurtSpring2’s procedure for ChargePoint, but not to set anything in the Jaguar InControl app. Consequently, I have timed (PGE) charging at home, but no timed charging on the road. The other minor difference between CurtSpring2’s procedure and mine is that I set my departure time to about 15 minutes after I want my timed charging to begin, rather than when I am actually departing. As CurtSpring2 mentioned there are many ways to skin this cat, but there doesn’t appear to one single procedure that works for everyone. Lastly, ChargePoint is aware of this issue, but believes it to be a quirk of the I-Pace.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'm sorry, I'm having a terrible time understanding this. Delayed charge is somehow set in preconditioning? Is that right? Lord this is more complicated than it should be.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm having a terrible time understanding this. Delayed charge is somehow set in preconditioning? Is that right? Lord this is more complicated than it should be.
You can set delayed charging in either the app or car. If you set it in the car you must press the preconditioning button in the Extra Features menu. When the preconditioning window opens, press the settings button on the bottom of the touchscreen. When the settings window opens, you'll see the option for preconditioning settings. Press the option and you'll see the timed charging option appear. Select the option to set your time.

Whichever way you set the timed charge you have to have a departure time set, which you also can do in either the app or car, and when you shut down the car the Goodbye screen appears. In that screen will be the option to turn on timed charging. You must select On for timed charging to work. I only select On for the days I want to charge but you can select it everytime you shut off the car if it helps you remember.

It's a crazy system that's been slammed on this forum but for now it's the only way to make timed charging work. Just before shutting off the car I open the preconditioning window to ensure it's on and a departure time is set. Then after shutting off the car I press On for timed charging on the Goodbye screen.

As posted before some owners don't have to set a timed charge in both the ChargePoint app and in the car/Jaguar app but it's been the only way I can make it work for me - both start and time must be the same.

Since you haven't had luck using only ChargePoint, try just setting a time in the car and if that doesn't work, set a time in both systems. Please report back on your success or PM me if you have questions. Best of luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well did all that stuff, I set a made up precon time and set the delayed charging, but what a pain in the azz to have to do that EVERY TIME YOU STOP THE CAR.

Come on, I know we're early adopters and all, but cripe's sake.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well did all that stuff, I set a made up precon time and set the delayed charging, but what a pain in the azz to have to do that EVERY TIME YOU STOP THE CAR.

Come on, I know we're early adopters and all, but cripe's sake.
Great job getting everything set up!
This complexity is why I set a weekly repeating departure time. Then I only have to select On when the Goodbye screen appears on the day I want to charge. Once everything is set the process is straightforward. If I ignore the Goodbye screen on non-charging days timed charging is still available on the days I need it.

The major bug is if you turn off a departure time in the app, preconditioning turns off in the car and timed charging will be unavailable. I allow the car to go through the entire departure/preconditioning on Saturday morning even if I don't need it. This keeps everything enabled and I don't have to remember to turn preconditioning On in the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ha! Well, obviously you don't work for JLR!!

It is beyond baffling how something that GENUINELY should be simple was designed so poorly that it has generated hundreds of various forum posts - AND STILL NOT BE FIXED. Nothing about timed charging makes sense, starting (as I have said before) that CHARGING functions are accessed under the PRECONDITIONING onboard button. And even if you know that tidbit, it is a mystery how to get to timed charging, let alone make it work properly.

I have managed to make mine work only because my home charger (Juicebox Pro) sets it up easily. I turned off any onboard timer and just use the Juicebox. Set it up one time and it works every time.

I have heard that JLR engineers are aware of this problem, and have been for some time. With all the easily remedied small software problems on the I Pace that remain problems, JLR has signaled that its priorities are elsewhere. As former and current Tesla owners can attest, despite whatever complaints you may have about a Tesla, if a problem of this sort is found, it is addressed immediately. And invariably fixed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tesla owners can attest, despite whatever complaints you may have about a Tesla, if a problem of this sort is found, it is addressed immediately. And invariably fixed.
Not to stir the Tesla pot too much, but you forgot the "or just silently removed as a feature" option for Tesla remedies to problems of this sort (e.g. walk up unlock)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Timed charging - Juice Box works

I could never get the iPace timer to work, so I opted for a Juice Box charger. I can set the starting and stopping time via the phone app and it works consistently. JLR should make the iPace charger simple and consistent by itself!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Delayed charging

On my iPace no matter what setting you set it to it starts charging immediately.

I gave up and plug it in at 11 PM every night.

My Chevrolet Bolt works as directed and when it detects its not at home (via GPS) it sets to charge when plugged in anywhere else.

Dunno what is so difficult for Jaguar to figure out with this one it's very simple.

:nerd:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts