Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with the ChargePoint and am very happy with it. I got the plugin model because if there is ever a problem I can just order and plug in a new one. And it was cheap to have an electrician run the outlet as compared to hardwiring the charger ($450 vesus over $1K).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m also using ChargePoint. The charge point app has been very stable, as opposed to the incontrol app. At least until I can get a straight answer in writing from jaguar regarding the battery management I prefer not charging to 100% every night. I seem to have trouble every few days trying to connect with the jag incotrolapp to set the charge period. With the chargepoint app I usually set the charge period for about 3.5 hrs every night and seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the way - many of you probably already figured this out- but a few days ago I was fidgeting with the charge point app and playing with the different rate plan calculations in setting. I think if you do this it resets the ‘schedule charging’ to the default. So the next day I awoke to find the car charged all night all the way back to 100%. Not a big deal- but just a heads up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Since I finally have my I-Pace I decided to try out the "charging-up-to-a-SoC" workaround with the JuiceBox. I set the current and desired SoC last evening and when I checked at 7:30 AM this morning the charging had stopped after adding 50.31 kW in 6 hours and 35 minutes (approx 7.65 kW/h). The final SoC in the JuiceNet app matched the indicated SoC in the car (80%). So it appears this works.

The only drawback that I can see is that since the JB cuts off the juice at the desired SoC, the battery pre-conditioning will not work if the departure time is outside the ToU window (which will usually be the case). A workaround will be to have another charging session scheduled around the departure time but I have not found a way yet to do that in the JuiceNet app. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Fantastic! I ended up ordering the Juicebox for that reason.

Fingers crossed, I hope it works!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Fantastic! I ended up ordering the Juicebox for that reason.

Fingers crossed, I hope it works!
For US based Costco members that are thinking about Juicebox, - you can order the 40amp, 24ft cable, wifi enabled, etc. for $549.99 or about $30 less than Amazon. Of course you can get the 32A from Amazon for $549. Costco doesn't offer the 32amp version. Unless you have another EV that can handle more than 7.5kW the extra amperage isn't really useful. Just listing the option for those interested.

The parent company, eMotorWerks currently has the 32amp on sale for $499. They are having a sale on the 40amp version, but Costco is less expensive.

Reactions: NerdUno

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ordered the 40amp one from Costco. I went the route of just having an electrician install the 50amp breaker into the main panel and then tap from the back of it into the inside of the garage where he installed an in wall Nema 14-50R receptacle. Then since I actually wanted the Juicebox on the opposite wall in the garage, I ordered a 30ft RV extension cord with the same Nema plug and receptable and then I just ran this up and over my garage door myself. Saved having the pay for conduit run by the electrician so ended up being $485 electrician plus $115 for the RV cord instead of $1300. Hung the Juicebox myself and now it is working great. The RV cable is 1" in diameter, so I used some of the spring loaded broom handle hooks to mount it that way I can easily remove it if needed.

If you buy the 40amp, you need a 50amp breaker, so this may be a key consideration to look into because if your panel cannot support a 50amp breaker, then an electrician will likely tell you a panel upgrade is needed either for space or amperage. Thus a 32amp might be best for some because it only requires a 40amp breaker. This is in the last page of the Juicebox manual.

·
Registered
950 Posts
FWIW we have a Bosche POWER MAX 240LC-30/18 and a GE Durastation, both with 18-foot cords. Both are 30 amps, though the Durastation can be set to lower amperage limits. I may have done that a few years ago when we first purchased it. Either way, both will, overnight, charge the cars as much as I've ever needed. We located them well, so 18 feet is enough, but if I did it all over again, I'd go for a longer cord. 30 amp vs 40 amp is no big thing. Also being able to reduce amperage used is nice if you want to charge two vehicles in a building only served with a 100amp breaker that also has a handful of other heavy draws. We've never blown the main breaker, but conceivably with an electric oven, electric dryer, heat pump, other smaller loads, and two cars charging, it could happen. Then again the wires feeding the building are rated for 200 amps, so I could conceivably go up to that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a NEMA 14-50 male fixture, which was put in place (outdoors, next to our driveway) during our home remodel before we selected which EV we would buy. Now moving forward to buy the I-Pace. If I go with the Chargepoint CPH25-L18, does the installation of the Chargepoint use all four wires?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a NEMA 14-50 male fixture, which was put in place (outdoors, next to our driveway) during our home remodel before we selected which EV we would buy. Now moving forward to buy the I-Pace. If I go with the Chargepoint CPH25-L18, does the installation of the Chargepoint use all four wires?
Does not appear so since it is a different wiring set up quoted as NEMA 6-50, only 3 wires.
https://www.chargepoint.com/files/datasheets/ds-home.pdf
https://www.chargepoint.com/files/home/home-install-guide.pdf

If you want to use the same outlet, you would need to change out the breaker to a 40amp one to service the 32amp Chargepoint and rewire to a NEMA 6-50 if you want removable or use the existing outlet to hardwire. A certified electrician should be able to make the conversion for you for under $150 is my guess.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Technically, the Juicebox doesn't use all 4 wires either. It doesn't use the ground wire per the documentation.

You can buy an adapter that allows a 6-50 to plug into a 14-50. Use your favorite search engine or visit your local big box home center store, hardware store, electrical supply, etc. A quick check at one showed prices about $60+.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Our Bosch and GE chargers only use 3 wires.
I don't think most California electricians will even get out of bed for any less than $300.

·
Registered
561 Posts
All L2 evse use two hot and the ground. Neutral is not used or connected. If you select 14-50 plug the neutral pin is not used.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
41 - 60 of 74 Posts