Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since my system got updated to 19.2 and the battery system along with that, my full charge stopes at 220 or 219 miles. As soon as I drive out my garage I into the drive way the mileage drops to less that 200 miles with less than quarter mile of driving. Before it used to be 234 miles at full charge and the mileage remaining reduced in proportion to the driving. Yesterday while getting into the car on my return trip from NYC, my remote app said the battery is at ” Low Charge” in red highlight under status tab. Got me all worried until I reached home in NJ. when I reached home the status was “no issues”

Anybody else with this issue?

while I enjoy the driving experience of the Jag HSE 2020, there is always an anxiety on if we would reach home fine. Having experienced a car freeze on Christmas Day in the rain and having the car dragged on to a flatbed standing drenched in pouring rain, adds to the anxiety.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this time is ice on the ground and the temperature is in low 30f of 0 c.

the car is parked inside the closed garage with an ambient temp of 55 to 60 F

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
At this time is ice on the ground and the temperature is in low 30f of 0 c.

the car is parked inside the closed garage with an ambient temp of 55 to 60 F
I have similar conditions, I am on an older version, and I do not see this behaviour. Whatever I show in the conditioned garage is pretty much what decrements rationally as i drive around, at least on a 30 mile trip. So something is going on.

It may be they changed the GOM to better reflect rapidly changing outside temperature quicker. Not sure if that’s ”better” or not. If the conditions rapidly change obviously the range guess will need to be adjusted. I still prefer one of the Chevy Bolt displays for this: it showed you the guess and a bar to the side that would creep up or down to show the deviation from the current guess based on current conditions. This gave you a heads up you were going to get less range than shows and it would ”fold” in the adjustment over time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I still find the GOM completely useless. After a software update, I was getting over 400km on the GOM after charging, which was completely rediculous. These days (where we are in the -10c to -20c time of year, I rarely get 250km in range (the consumption goes from ~22kWh/100km to 35kWh/100km), so showing anything above 300 is based on fantasy and not on anything that can be measured (previous consumption, temps etc...). I'd rather they just give up and do a straight linear estimate based on battery capacity and recent consumption or just show the state of charge more prominently.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ever since my system got updated to 19.2 and the battery system along with that, my full charge stopes at 220 or 219 miles. As soon as I drive out my garage I into the drive way the mileage drops to less that 200 miles with less than quarter mile of driving. Before it used to be 234 miles at full charge and the mileage remaining reduced in proportion to the driving. Yesterday while getting into the car on my return trip from NYC, my remote app said the battery is at ” Low Charge” in red highlight under status tab. Got me all worried until I reached home in NJ. when I reached home the status was “no issues”

Anybody else with this issue?

while I enjoy the driving experience of the Jag HSE 2020, there is always an anxiety on if we would reach home fine. Having experienced a car freeze on Christmas Day in the rain and having the car dragged on to a flatbed standing drenched in pouring rain, adds to the anxiety.
The only time I see a sudden decrease in predicted range is when I turn on the heater/AC. Get in my car after charging and see something like 395km range on the GOM. Then, as soon as I turn on the heater, the predicted range drops, as it should, to something like 365km.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have had my car in with 2 dealers for what I thought was a battery issue.
But this post made me look, and my TCU was updated on 11/6/2021.
All of my bad charge mileage has occurred since that date.
The max 100% charge has been 212 to 209 mile range.
Can anyone else see their WattCat SOC at 100%? (kWh)
Or how much are you adding during the charge cycle?
The last service tech claimed I have one bad module in the battery pack. (84%)
I have always wondered if the change in software affected the temp reading/conculation.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have had my car in with 2 dealers for what I thought was a battery issue.
But this post made me look, and my TCU was updated on 11/6/2021.
Correction: Vehicle Connectivity updated on 11/6/2020.
Also of note: Battery energy control system updated around July 2020.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the GOM lags current conditions. In the summer my GOM shows around 420 kms on full charge and goes down roughly in proportion to the distance driven, though turning on the A/C naturally reduces it. I also find the mileage decreases a bit faster at first, probably because the battery is still reaching its ideal temperature.

In the Fall, the GOM is still "remembering" the balmy days of summer and over-estimates the mileage. As cooler weather prevails, it gets more realistic - a full charge shows about 390 kms.

Then winter comes and the 390 slowly declines to around 340 by this time of year, as the GOM modifies its algorithm. When Spring arrives, it is underestimating the mileage - it's remembering winter and it takes a number of journeys before it realizes that one's consumption is less and so starts modifying the full-charge figure.

Whether all this is how the actually GOM operates,, I cannot say - but it is my experience/observation. I might add that exactly the same thing happens with respect to driving style. A few weeks of city low-consumption driving and the GOM adjusts upward. If you the drive like a bat out of **** for a few days, it will begin to adjust its lag downward.

Now, I'll admit that most of the time I use the kilowatts per 100 kms figure in the dash along with some mental arithmetic. If it shows 21 kwH per 100 kms, I know I'm good for 400 kms. (84 kwh battery/21=400 kms.) Right now, in winter, I'm showing around 25 kms per KwH. 84 divided by 25 implies a range of around 340 kms which is what the GOM shows. If, as I have read, the available power is 86 KwH, then I've got some margin).

I should add I live in a very rural area where the speed limit is 80 kph - a de facto limit of 100 kph, which is where I generally cruise. On the rare occasions I'm on a freeway, things are quite different!

I rely a lot on the Range Impact screen. The biggest energy hog is fan speed - I switch from Auto to "2" generally. (I Love the heated steering wheel and note it uses very little power).

·
Registered
244 Posts
That is what I was thinking also. The GOM Lags really long time and does not correct for day or week changes
mainly in temperature. If any of this is true, it would be nice to know how the GOM software really works.
It would avoid a lot of confusion. That would be something that even the service techs don't know let alone the I-Pace owners.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
585 Posts
That is what I was thinking also. The GOM Lags really long time and does not correct for day or week changes
mainly in temperature. If any of this is true, it would be nice to know how the GOM software really works.
It would avoid a lot of confusion. That would be something that even the service techs don't know let alone the I-Pace owners.
Because kWh/100miles is so variable - dependent upon weather(temp), speed, driving style, length of journey, use of AC, uphill/downhills the GoM would be essentially worthless if it was based on short term data. At least the long term estimate gives you a reasonable basis upon which to add the factors that are unique to that days driving.

Think back to our ICE days; would you estimate range on the instantaneous mpg numbers that most cars can display? Agreed the GoM is not very accurate, but probably the best you can do without knowing the route to be driven, the speed at all times, the traffic conditions, the weather (including headwinds), etc.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree but 2 important bits of information is missing currently in my I-Pace:

1. Would the total amount of charge delivered (kWh) also be drastically reduced? Mine is down to around 52 kWh at 100%. Also WattCat SOC is way down.
2. The charge time from start of charge cycle indicated on the dash an expected time eg. 6 hrs. to 100%.
But it only charges around 1/2 that time or 3 hrs. to reach 100%. Thus much lower actual miles available from the battery.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
585 Posts
I agree but 2 important bits of information is missing currently in my I-Pace:

1. Would the total amount of charge delivered (kWh) also be drastically reduced? Mine is down to around 52 kWh at 100%. Also WattCat SOC is way down.
2. The charge time from start of charge cycle indicated on the dash an expected time eg. 6 hrs. to 100%.
But it only charges around 1/2 that time or 3 hrs. to reach 100%. Thus much lower actual miles available from the battery.
I'm confused. You were complaining about the indicated range for you I-Pace, and now you throw out facts that would indicate a bad battery with only ~50% capacity.

Your earlier comments

"The max 100% charge has been 212 to 209 mile range. Can anyone else see their WattCat SOC at 100%? (kWh)Or how much are you adding during the charge cycle?The last service tech claimed I have one bad module in the battery pack. (84%)
I have always wondered if the change in software affected...."

are consistent with perhaps a partially degraded battery. But 200miles range on only a 50% battery is not feasible.
If you are looking for advice or guidance, perhaps you could start over with the current status of your vehicle and the diagnosis you have already received from JLR. As guidance my ChargePoint routinely delivers a prorated ~90kWh for a full charge over a prorated time of 12-13hrs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts