Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition with 20" Wheelset using All-Weather Tires
56 Posts
While I have some concern about this Chinese product inserted between my iPhone and the Pace CarPlay interface, I believe in the methods used by Apple to assure Privacy. Their Keychain is NOT on the iCloud account server but mesh distributed to each Apple device. Access to it requires additional authentication within that device. Third party apps on the device require additional authentication to use as well. Two-factor authentication used by most entities also help prevent access to user accounts. Credit card activity can be monitored proactively and stopped online without human assistance.

My review of CPlay2Air is the same as was given to them when they asked for a review. I have no idea if they posted it or edited it? Their website is less than perfect and it is difficult to see if it was posted since there are so many reviews and no way to search.

Despite all of this, I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to see CarPlay come up automatically with the phone in my pocket as I drive away in this fun to drive vehicle which draws more attention than any car I have ever owned! The problem now is I don't dive it enough in this pandemic environment and living in the Washington DC metro suburbs of Maryland.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
215 Posts
What we need is a similar solution for the far superior Android Auto :p

Having a wireless charging facility in the car as a fairly pricy option, plus a wireless android auto equipped phone but a car not capable of using wireless android auto is really, really annoying.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
What we need is a similar solution for the far superior Android Auto :p

Having a wireless charging facility in the car as a fairly pricy option, plus a wireless android auto equipped phone but a car not capable of using wireless android auto is really, really annoying.
Which is one reason why Android Auto isn't 'far superior'. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Carplay2air is compatible with Android Auto as passthrough, but of course you will need a cable:

CARPLAY2air wireless adapter for Android Head Units features:
Wireless CarPlay for iPhone devices
Auto-connects when the vehicle is started
Android Auto via cable
Mirror-link via cable
The adapter works only with Android 4.2 and above.
Wireless CarPlay works only with Apple iOS devices.

There are some solutions for wireless Android Auto:
Carlinkit: 后装市场升级-惠州市云联科技有限公司
AAWireless: AAWireless

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
A CarPlay Life Changer !!

The installation of this device went very smoothly in my Jaguar I-Pace and having wireless CarPlay as well as its automatic startup is indeed a pleasure. It is very likely Apple will ultimately make it happen in the future with the cooperation of the vehicle manufacturers. This is a wonderful solution for the current CarPlay situation. As is typical with a product made in and shipped from China, delivery took longer than as if it had been stocked here in the USA, the boxed instructions in translated English were funny to read, the updated instructions on the outside of the box were much better to read, and following the onscreen instructions during installation was simple but not the same as even the updated ones. Nonetheless the installation went smoothly and I am happy there was no struggle in making it work. When using, be patient as it takes up to ten seconds to stabilize and become operational.

Before purchasing I followed reviews and researched to obtain a level of comfort this product would do the job. Since it is NOT available through Amazon and sold directly by the Chinese manufacturer, obtaining help or a refund if not satisfied is always an issue one has to consider. Their website, while a little awkward to navigate, is reasonably good and the FAQ provides lots of answers. It is clearly tailored for this American techie audience.

I have only one potential concern which is an opinion with no evidence to back it up. It would be interesting to see it they publish my review with this concern or better yet provide an answer in their FAQs. What assurance do I have when using this product that information is NOT being extracted from the phone and collected somewhere? Apple iPhone privacy protections would typically prevent, or at least ask, with regards to certain information access.

I recommend anyone looking for a wireless CarPlay solution seriously consider CARPLAY2air as their viable option.

PS - I have been using this device for over one month and while it basically works there are some things which I believe are related to the slow slow slow slow processor speed. One must be patient and allow it to work. Sometimes this can be frustrating but worth it when CarPlay just comes up automatically and wireless. There have been times when CarPlay shows on the touch screen BUT the audio comes through the iPhone earpiece. When this happens I could scream.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts

Attachments

61 - 67 of 67 Posts