Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition with 20" Wheelset using All-Weather Tires
69 Posts
While I have some concern about this Chinese product inserted between my iPhone and the Pace CarPlay interface, I believe in the methods used by Apple to assure Privacy. Their Keychain is NOT on the iCloud account server but mesh distributed to each Apple device. Access to it requires additional authentication within that device. Third party apps on the device require additional authentication to use as well. Two-factor authentication used by most entities also help prevent access to user accounts. Credit card activity can be monitored proactively and stopped online without human assistance.

My review of CPlay2Air is the same as was given to them when they asked for a review. I have no idea if they posted it or edited it? Their website is less than perfect and it is difficult to see if it was posted since there are so many reviews and no way to search.

Despite all of this, I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to see CarPlay come up automatically with the phone in my pocket as I drive away in this fun to drive vehicle which draws more attention than any car I have ever owned! The problem now is I don't dive it enough in this pandemic environment and living in the Washington DC metro suburbs of Maryland.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
356 Posts
What we need is a similar solution for the far superior Android Auto :p

Having a wireless charging facility in the car as a fairly pricy option, plus a wireless android auto equipped phone but a car not capable of using wireless android auto is really, really annoying.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
What we need is a similar solution for the far superior Android Auto :p

Having a wireless charging facility in the car as a fairly pricy option, plus a wireless android auto equipped phone but a car not capable of using wireless android auto is really, really annoying.
Which is one reason why Android Auto isn't 'far superior'. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Carplay2air is compatible with Android Auto as passthrough, but of course you will need a cable:

CARPLAY2air wireless adapter for Android Head Units features:
Wireless CarPlay for iPhone devices
Auto-connects when the vehicle is started
Android Auto via cable
Mirror-link via cable
The adapter works only with Android 4.2 and above.
Wireless CarPlay works only with Apple iOS devices.

There are some solutions for wireless Android Auto:
Carlinkit: 后装市场升级-惠州市云联科技有限公司
AAWireless: AAWireless

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
A CarPlay Life Changer !!

The installation of this device went very smoothly in my Jaguar I-Pace and having wireless CarPlay as well as its automatic startup is indeed a pleasure. It is very likely Apple will ultimately make it happen in the future with the cooperation of the vehicle manufacturers. This is a wonderful solution for the current CarPlay situation. As is typical with a product made in and shipped from China, delivery took longer than as if it had been stocked here in the USA, the boxed instructions in translated English were funny to read, the updated instructions on the outside of the box were much better to read, and following the onscreen instructions during installation was simple but not the same as even the updated ones. Nonetheless the installation went smoothly and I am happy there was no struggle in making it work. When using, be patient as it takes up to ten seconds to stabilize and become operational.

Before purchasing I followed reviews and researched to obtain a level of comfort this product would do the job. Since it is NOT available through Amazon and sold directly by the Chinese manufacturer, obtaining help or a refund if not satisfied is always an issue one has to consider. Their website, while a little awkward to navigate, is reasonably good and the FAQ provides lots of answers. It is clearly tailored for this American techie audience.

I have only one potential concern which is an opinion with no evidence to back it up. It would be interesting to see it they publish my review with this concern or better yet provide an answer in their FAQs. What assurance do I have when using this product that information is NOT being extracted from the phone and collected somewhere? Apple iPhone privacy protections would typically prevent, or at least ask, with regards to certain information access.

I recommend anyone looking for a wireless CarPlay solution seriously consider CARPLAY2air as their viable option.

PS - I have been using this device for over one month and while it basically works there are some things which I believe are related to the slow slow slow slow processor speed. One must be patient and allow it to work. Sometimes this can be frustrating but worth it when CarPlay just comes up automatically and wireless. There have been times when CarPlay shows on the touch screen BUT the audio comes through the iPhone earpiece. When this happens I could scream.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
I bought the Carlinkit 3.0 Mini two weeks ago, installation was very easy, and it works like a charm, the cell phone stays in my pocket and I have access to all carplay features on main screen.
Strangely the carlinkit.com web site does not sell the product, you can find it on carlinkit.store, but this web site has a certificate issue. You can find it on aliexpress.com

·
Registered
572 Posts
Update : still a charm to use. The phone stays in my pocket all the time, and after 15-20 sec the phone is connected automatically with carplay to the Jag, without touching the screen, without confirmation button, ... . Very high ratio of connection success so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I think the wireless carplay Adapter is great. I got one 2month ago, it‘s currently working well, plug and play, It's a convenience thing. I don't remember their link, but you can search : carlinkitcarplay
Hello, Are you talking about this one? (U2W Plus) Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter Dongle for Wired CarPlay
that claims " suitable for 98% of existing wired CarPlay-enabled vehicles and wired CarPlay-enabled receivers."?
How can I know if it is compatible for my car MB class E-250 2016 ? Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, Are you talking about this one? (U2W Plus) Carlinkit 3.0 Wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter Dongle for Wired CarPlay
that claims " suitable for 98% of existing wired CarPlay-enabled vehicles and wired CarPlay-enabled receivers."?
How can I know if it is compatible for my car MB class E-250 2016 ? Thank you!
yes, if your car support wired carplay and it's in their model lists i think it will be compatible for your car. If you are not sure you can just contact with them.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Interesting dilemma? I made a mistake while using the CarLink adapter and set options to start CarPlay using Jaguar InControl and system simply ends up in endless startup loop. I have had to go back to plugging in the iPhone 13 Pro in order to use CarPlay. I believe I would have to restore the entire system as if it was a new vehicle and then setup everything again. I am willing to do this but not sure how to make it happen. The dealer was of little help. Furthermore, after updating to iOS 15.x there are time that the Home Screen for CarPlay uses a disturbingly LARGE font under the icons. This does not always happens and is annoying. Calling Jaguar customer support is useless. Anyone have any comments on what to do? Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
64 Posts
Interesting dilemma? I made a mistake while using the CarLink adapter and set options to start CarPlay using Jaguar InControl and system simply ends up in endless startup loop. I have had to go back to plugging in the iPhone 13 Pro in order to use CarPlay. I believe I would have to restore the entire system as if it was a new vehicle and then setup everything again. I am willing to do this but not sure how to make it happen. The dealer was of little help. Furthermore, after updating to iOS 15.x there are time that the Home Screen for CarPlay uses a disturbingly LARGE font under the icons. This does not always happens and is annoying. Calling Jaguar customer support is useless. Anyone have any comments on what to do? Thanks.
Did you try going into your phone SETTINGS --> GENERAL --> CarPlay then selecting the one that says JAGUAR-nnnn selecting that and then selecting "Forget this Car?" If that doesn't do it, I would then eliminate your phone from the Bluetooth settings under the Communications section of the car, Then try starting over.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Did you try going into your phone SETTINGS --> GENERAL --> CarPlay then selecting the one that says JAGUAR-nnnn selecting that and then selecting "Forget this Car?" If that doesn't do it, I would then eliminate your phone from the Bluetooth settings under the Communications section of the car, Then try starting over.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been that route. After hard reboot of iPhone and adding that CarPlay back the problem continues to repeat itself. You comment regarding bluetooth does NOT apply to me since this phone was never BT connection to the Pace. I had found that connection using BT while simultaneously using CarPlay is not a good mix. The CarPlay I am actively using is the hard lightening cable plus into the iPhone.

The issue started when I was using the CPLAY2Air wireless connection and decided to change a setting in the CONNECTION settings area of the Pace for launching CARPLAY. I changed the launch to Auto using INCONTROL which was a fatal mistake. I cannot get back there to change it back to CARPLAY as the system continually restarts in an endless loop producing an error message which I cannot capture as it appears too fast. I don't know how to remove the CPLAY2Air connection anyplace other than the iPhone itself but restore presents the same behavior. Maybe there is a way to reset the CPLAY2Air dongle but I fear use of the same device name will product the same loop result. I will likely have to restart the entire user interface system in the vehicle and rebuild my custom screens. I am willing to do that but the dealership and Jaguar customer support seems not to know how to accomplish that reset.

So I live with simply looking at the CPLAY2Air dongle while using a wired connection for CarPlay.

Anyone else out there have suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
64 Posts
Here’s another idea which you may have already tried. While you are successfully using the wired CarPlay app, touch the black Jaguar icon to exit back to InControl. Then go into the settings menu and change back the setting under the Apple section back to its original state.

I originally purchased the Carplay2air dongle and it would sometimes loop in startup mode so I gave up on it. Thanks to this thread I discovered Carlinkit which has worked flawlessly for me for 2 months since I received it.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I CANNOT change the settings back are not seen unless the unit is plugged in and recognized by its name. When plugged in the endless loop starts. It will not remain stable long enough to make the change from INCONTROL autostart to CARPLAY autostart. It was this change that caused the looping. Plugging in the phone directly is different since its name is different and I do not change autostart to INCONTROL. My Carplay2air dongle worked basically okay and while it might have taken time to startup it did not loop endlessly. They may be a way to completely restart the dongle itself as though never plugged in but who knows since contacting them is not easy and getting them to understand the issue is trying at best. It is for this reason I wanted to initialize the entire Infotainment system like it was a new vehicle and take time to customize it again. At that point it would have no knowledge of the dongle name faked to be CarPlay compliant.

Thanks for your suggestions but I now have to fight another battle since AT&T shutdown 3G and there is a connectivity issue haunting SOTA as well as the ability to connect to WiFi and use SOTA to upgrade TCU from 19.2 to 20.2 which possibly improves SOTA as well as CarPlay itself. It appears as though the cellular data system is 4G compliant but has run amock with any AT&T agreement with Jaguar?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,856 Posts
Two things to try. Do both. This is a long shot based on iGuide info.
1) Select the phone icon. Then select the settings icon. Then phone settings. You may be able to see the device there as a paired phone that can be unpaired or otherwise dealt with.
2) Select the phone icon. Then select the settings icon. Then all settings. Then connectivity. Then Bluetooth. Unpair the device and/or phone if found.

Dealers can hook up Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud and wipe out all info. I'm sure there would be a labor fee. It might impact the InControl account though.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Two things to try. Do both. This is a long shot based on iGuide info.
1) Select the phone icon. Then select the settings icon. Then phone settings. You may be able to see the device there as a paired phone that can be unpaired or otherwise dealt with.
2) Select the phone icon. Then select the settings icon. Then all settings. Then connectivity. Then Bluetooth. Unpair the device and/or phone if found.

Dealers can hook up Pathfinder/TOPIx Cloud and wipe out all info. I'm sure there would be a labor fee. It might impact the InControl account though.
As always, I value your opinion and enjoy reading your many replies is service to our community. The long shot things you suggest are related to bluetooth connectivity of the iPhone and not CarPlay. While it is possible to BT pair the phone it is not possible to BT connect the CPLAY2AIR dongle. I did follow your directions and did notice that my phone was paired at one time to the Pace. However, that pairing was remove from the phone and remained on the Pace and could no longer connect. I removed the pairing. As suspected there was no reference to the dongle being paired for the reason I stated earlier. CarPlay still works when the iPhone is directly plugged in. Physically connecting the dongle (remember there is only one USB which is CarPlay active) results in the endless loop as it tries to launch CarPlay and start InControl. Remember I made the startup selection to use the InControl app on startup. That choice turned out to be a BIG mistake. I feel the only way to get the system to forget that CarPlay pairing is to reset everything and I would have start like a new vehicle. I am willing to spend the time to do it since I have screenshots of what I have done and know what other settings I changed (the camera one was tricky).

Thanks as always but today I fight the AT&T 3G shutdown issue with the SIM in my car as I go armed to the dealer with lots of factual information they appear to be unaware of. I need them to manually install TCU 20.2 to restore my WiFi connectivity (according to customer relations). There is no need to use cellular data for SOTA other than knowing about updates automatically. With TCU 19.2 it appears as though WiFi connectivity fails if cellular data is not connected? In reviewing your replies to this in another discussion area (and I also have a 2019 model year) I have to believe you must have subscribed to the AT&T service and consequently see 4G/LTE. You might confirm this?

NOTE: Information on the Jaguar website clearly indicates the Pace has 4G/LTE capability and some screenshots from a company posted SOTA movie are attached. It seems to me the deal they struck with AT&T which allowed service for their purposes free-of-charge was using 3G and the factory installed SIM only allow such use which was turned off.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 93 Posts