Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
connection seems to vary a lot. some times its almost instant and as soon as the car screen boots up car play shows. Other times it takes a while and I'm aleady driving (maybe 30 seconds to a minute) before carplay comes up. It seems like if I unlock the car open the door and wait a bit before starting (like if putting things into the car and what not) then it comes up as soon as the car is started. But this is not always the case.

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
14 Posts
Maybe I am just an idiot here. Would appreciate any help from anyone who has been successful in getting this to work. Doing this on a Samsung S20 if this makes any difference, as their instructions were purely for iPhone, but the steps are generic that it should not make a difference.

Got the device today and decided to connect it.
Plugged in center USB port. I can see the little red light on unit so it is getting power.
Power up the car. Waited even up to
Search and connected the phone BT to the car BT (did not see any new BT devices as I was thinking that there is a potential that this device BT needs to connect to my phone)
Nothing changed.
Clicked on the Android Auto icon on the Car Infotainment icon. Would get the "Not Connected" pop up (as if my phone is not connect via USB cable).

Have tried to delete the BT pairing on both phone and car multiple times. No change in status.

Curiously, I do see that the device does have a Wifi SSID "VOLKSWAGENE5" but I have no idea what the password is to even connect to it. Not in the manual either.

Any advice to guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Or am I just the idiot here w/ my assumption that it would work on Android. Instead, it only works on iPhones? :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just received my CarPlayAir. Although, initial paring is through Bluetooth, with JAGUAR-809C showing up in my list of Bluetooth devices, the actual connection appears to be through WiFi JAGUAR56. Bootup is not as fast as some members have mentioned. The device has the latest firmware. Thoughts? Thanks
I had mentioned a while back that connection times vary considerably. I’ve had it where it was almost instantaneous, perhaps a couple of seconds. At other times, though infrequently, it might take 30 seconds. I even had one instance where it didn’t connect at all until I pulled the dongle and reinserted it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Maybe I am just an idiot here. Would appreciate any help from anyone who has been successful in getting this to work. Doing this on a Samsung S20 if this makes any difference, as their instructions were purely for iPhone, but the steps are generic that it should not make a difference.

Plugged in center USB port. I can see the little red light on unit so it is getting power.
Search and connected the phone BT to the car BT (did not see any new BT devices as I was thinking that there is a potential that this device BT needs to connect to my phone)
Nothing changed.
Clicked on the Android Auto icon on the Car Infotainment icon. Would get the "Not Connected" pop up (as if my phone is not connect via USB cable).

Have tried to delete the BT pairing on both phone and car multiple times. No change in status.

Curiously, I do see that the device does have a Wifi SSID "VOLKSWAGENE5" but I have no idea what the password is to even connect to it. Not in the manual either.

Or am I just the idiot here w/ my assumption that it would work on Android. Instead, it only works on iPhones? :)
The device we‘re talking about here is specifically designed for Apple CarPlay, not Android Auto. There is no actual password even though you see a passcode number pop up on your phone during installation. Unlike other devices that require a passcode, there is no confirmation of that code on the I-Pace screen. So I don’t know that I would consider that a ‘required passcode’ in the traditional sense.

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
14 Posts
The device we‘re talking about here is specifically designed for Apple CarPlay, not Android Auto. There is no actual password even though you see a passcode number pop up on your phone during installation. Unlike other devices that require a passcode, there is no confirmation of that code on the I-Pace screen. So I don’t know that I would consider that a ‘required passcode’ in the traditional sense.
Thanks Ken for confirming my stupidity. It seems that I am indeed the idiot here w/ my assumption (maybe I was too excited about the possibility of doing wireless connection) that this is for both AA and Apple CarPlay.

After much research and to share info for anyone from experiencing the same mistake as me, Ken is right. This device is only for Carplay and only works on iPhones of course.

BTW, played around and discovered that you can manually connect to the device WiFi with password 12345678, for anyone that might find this to be useful.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts

Nothing changed.

For confirmation, it worked on my wife's IPhone but not on my Samsung Note 20+.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got mine! It does work pretty well.

Observations:
1. I can hold down the voice button on the steering wheel to summon Siri
2. I think there is a bit of a delay on calls while using it - anyone else notice this?
3. Sometimes the steering wheel controls show I'm in a call and sometimes they just go blank in a call - anyone notice this?

Also, I went to update the firmware and mine seems to be up to date already. Has anyone pressed the white button to the side of the update button? I did and it has some weird options - like audio in cd or dvd? Also one for a delay?

Let me know if anyone else has played with this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Can’t say I’ve noticed the delay.

I have 2 of these now, one for my wife’s ES300h and one for the kitty. But my wife’s unit, for some reason, has the startup prompts in a different language. I don’t know how to change the language to English.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got mine last week and it works like a charm. Agree some times it works right away and other times I need to wait.
hold the button down to activate Siri. Works well enough to keep.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Does anyone else have an issue calls having a delay?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Does anyone else have an issue calls having a delay?
Can you elaborate? Do you mean the audio? The connection? I tend to use FaceTime Audio a lot and I do not have any audio or activity delays. Wireless CarPlay really should introduce no noticeable delays of any kind.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When I'm on a regular call, I've noticed people I'm talking to complain that there is a slight delay.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't have this with wired carplay.

·
Premium Member
2019 EV400 First Edition with 20" Wheelset using All-Weather Tires
56 Posts
A CarPlay Life Changer !!

The installation of this device went very smoothly in my Jaguar I-Pace and having wireless CarPlay as well as its automatic startup is indeed a pleasure. It is very likely Apple will ultimately make it happen in the future with the cooperation of the vehicle manufacturers. This is a wonderful solution for the current CarPlay situation. As is typical with a product made in and shipped from China, delivery took longer than as if it had been stocked here in the USA, the boxed instructions in translated English were funny to read, the updated instructions on the outside of the box were much better to read, and following the onscreen instructions during installation was simple but not the same as even the updated ones. Nonetheless the installation went smoothly and I am happy there was no struggle in making it work. When using, be patient as it takes up to ten seconds to stabilize and become operational.

Before purchasing I followed reviews and researched to obtain a level of comfort this product would do the job. Since it is NOT available through Amazon and sold directly by the Chinese manufacturer, obtaining help or a refund if not satisfied is always an issue one has to consider. Their website, while a little awkward to navigate, is reasonably good and the FAQ provides lots of answers. It is clearly tailored for this American techie audience.

I have only one potential concern which is an opinion with no evidence to back it up. It would be interesting to see it they publish my review with this concern or better yet provide an answer in their FAQs. What assurance do I have when using this product that information is NOT being extracted from the phone and collected somewhere? Apple iPhone privacy protections would typically prevent, or at least ask, with regards to certain information access.

I recommend anyone looking for a wireless CarPlay solution seriously consider CARPLAY2air as their viable option.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Jeff, your concern is a reasonable one I hadn’t considered, especially given the country of origin. It would be interesting to see their response, even though it’s not an iron clad guarantee your privacy would be respected.

However given the convenience it offers, I blithely go about my business...now with my fingers crossed just a bit. ;)

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
628 Posts
Jeff, your concern is a reasonable one I hadn’t considered, especially given the country of origin. It would be interesting to see their response, even though it’s not an iron clad guarantee your privacy would be respected.

However given the convenience it offers, I blithely go about my business...now with my fingers crossed just a bit. ;)
Fair response. The world is full of compromises. "Are the benefits of this action/service/product worth the consequences?" is the best approach.
Regarding the data on your iPhone: Do you have anything juicy that might be worth a random stranger trying to acquire? If I were concerned in that direction, I'd be more focused on the consequences of losing the phone itself.
As a society (I feel; and this is not a personal criticism aimed at anyone specifically) we seem a little paranoid on the subject of personal privacy.
[By comparison, try growing up in a small community/village in Europe where everybody knows what everyone else is doing/saying and probably thinking]

41 - 60 of 67 Posts