Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know that this unit, the CarPlay2 Air, is now available and claimed to work for Jaguars. I'd been waiting for this wireless solution and it seemed to have taken forever to get through their testing phase. This should make using CarPlay & AA a lot easier...assuming it works well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can confirm it works, I have an older unit from my son's Ford, that didn't work with the Jaguar. After receiving the message I contacted the seller and they sent me the updated firmware with upgrade instructions.
Now it works fine in the I-Pace!

In case anyone needs the upgrade instructions:

You must update via a USB flash drive.
Make sure to save the new firmware directly to that USB flash drive.

Update instructions:
1. Download the firmware update file to the USB flash drive.
2. Plug the flash drive into the CPLAY2air adapter.
3. Plug CPLAY2air to USB power charger/wall charger for your iPhone. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or of a computer!!!
4. Wait for 2-3 minutes, until the red LED and the blue LED will light up at the same time.
5. Unplug the adapter from the USB charger and remove the USB flash drive from the adapter.
6. Now plug the CPLAY2air into the USB port of the car.
7. Wait until the new window will appear on the vehicle's screen.
8. Connect your phone to the WIFI SSID network which is shown on the screen.
9. Once connected, use the camera app to scan the QR code on the screen or input 192.168.50.2 on your phone browser.
10.Once the software is activated, please click the button "Reboot"
11.Wait for the new interface to appear on the screen.

As I had an older adapter, after the update I just plugged it in the car and it worked.

Link to the file: U2W_Update.img

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just an update here. I received my CarPlay2 Air today and installed it in the kitty. Everything went exactly as advertised with no hitches whatsoever. It works very nicely, boots up fairly quickly (after the first time) and sounds surprisingly good. I haven't yet figured out how to get Siri or if it's even possible, but it doesn't work via the 'talk' button on the steering wheel. Otherwise I'm very happy with this wireless solution.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's annoying that you can't use the talk button for siri, but I guess you can just hold down the home button on the screen in Car Play and it should summon Siri, right?

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's annoying that you can't use the talk button for siri, but I guess you can just hold down the home button on the screen in Car Play and it should summon Siri, right?
With the wired CarPlay connection, my iPhone still responds when I say "Hey, Siri" without touching anything.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’ll try that tomorrow and report back.
I also use "Hey Siri" for things like setting directions to drive home or to work. Make sure that this is activated on your phone before testing with CP Air:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap Siri & Search.
  3. From here, make sure the following settings are turned on:
    • Listen for "Hey Siri"
    • Allow Siri When Locked

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
26 Posts
Just received mine. Upgraded without using any USB drive. Plugged in, Center Stack asked how to handle it. Selected Apple Car Play. Then it changed to JAGXX. Connected my iphone wifi to it and boom - wireless carplay. Opened browser to 192.168.50.2 and it checked for upgrades. One was available and it downloaded/installed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been really happy with mine thus far. Never fails to connect even though sometimes it seems to connect almost instantly and other times there's a lag before the splash screen shows up. Either way far better than the wires. I also hear no sacrifice in sound quality. A win win. :)

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
26 Posts
So just an update here. I received my CarPlay2 Air today and installed it in the kitty. Everything went exactly as advertised with no hitches whatsoever. It works very nicely, boots up fairly quickly (after the first time) and sounds surprisingly good. I haven't yet figured out how to get Siri or if it's even possible, but it doesn't work via the 'talk' button on the steering wheel. Otherwise I'm very happy with this wireless solution.
The talk button works for me with CarPlay2 Air, but you have to hold it for about a full second. A brief push summons the Jaguar voice assistant. A long push brings forth Siri.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The talk button works for me with CarPlay2 Air, but you have to hold it for about a full second. A brief push summons the Jaguar voice assistant. A long push brings forth Siri.
That's a great find! I'll give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The thing is though you still need to charge your iPhone. So you have plug your phone in the front USB port or get a wireless charger that is plugged in the front USB port. Seems like a lot of hassle than simply plugging into the lightning port and have the phone sit on the middle console tray.

BTW, the ChargePoint app is now available in CarPlay:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My iPhone can easily go through the day on a charge without the need for plugging it in. So for me this wireless solution is great.

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
26 Posts
The thing is though you still need to charge your iPhone. So you have plug your phone in the front USB port or get a wireless charger that is plugged in the front USB port. Seems like a lot of hassle than simply plugging into the lightning port and have the phone sit on the middle console tray.
View attachment 4927 View attachment 4928

BTW, the ChargePoint app is now available in CarPlay:
View attachment 4929
I just personally hate plugging in my phone. I have a battery case that gets me through the day and then I plop the phone and charger on a wireless charging stand at night. I’ve always had a battery case on all my iPhones since I switched from the Treo 10 years ago and it wasn’t any heavier than the Treos. I understand, though, that many don’t like the extra heft.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts