Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Just over 2 weeks ago my beautiful car decided to stop charging. It would go start initializing but would charge. It has been in the shop for two weeks now and the issue still isn't resolved. They thought it was fixed, as it worked on their level 2 charger but when they tried the level 3 charger it failed. Then is stopped charging all together. Yesterday they said it was working and today they informed that it has stopped charging again.

The car has already had the battery replaced and only has 7,530 KM on it. The Jaguar dealership that has the car has been really good to work with. I have called Jaguar and got a reimbursement case started. I will share any lessons that I learn during the process.

Cheers

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hello everyone.

Just over 2 weeks ago my beautiful car decided to stop charging. It would go start initializing but would charge. It has been in the shop for two weeks now and the issue still isn't resolved. They thought it was fixed, as it worked on their level 2 charger but when they tried the level 3 charger it failed. Then is stopped charging all together. Yesterday they said it was working and today they informed that it has stopped charging again.

The car has already had the battery replaced and only has 7,530 KM on it. The Jaguar dealership that has the car has been really good to work with. I have called Jaguar and got a reimbursement case started. I will share any lessons that I learn during the process.

Cheers
So sorry to read about about your car! I hope it's on the road soon and you don't have to go through the buy back process

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So sorry to read about about your car! I hope it's on the road soon and you don't have to go through the buy back process
I think I'd rather get a the car replaced with a new I-PACE. Right now I am a bit paranoid of being on a long road trip and having the charging system fail again. I do like the car though!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think I'd rather get a the car replaced with a new I-PACE. Right now I am a bit paranoid of being on a long road trip and having the charging system fail again. I do like the car though!
I understand! Best of luck navigating through the process. There's a couple of folks on the forum who've gone through the process and may have advice for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
If you have a good dealer service it's a big plus that gives comfort to the second I-Pace option. I opted for another I-Pace after my first one because it's just an amazing car and my dealer (Livermore) was responsive. So far the second one is awesome!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I don't know if the root cause of your problem is the same as mine, but mine started with not be able to charge and then the next day died completely while out on the road before I could get it in to the dealer (it still had significant charge at the time). So first, good job of getting into the dealer before things got worse!

Eventually they had to replace the battery control module (BCM) and both of the 12v batteries that had been run down to zero during the BCM failure, partly because of sitting with the flashers on for more than four hours before they died a slow death waiting for a tow (the button to turn them off apparently stopped working once the main power failed). Once the BCM was replaced last September everything has been fine.

That took 5 weeks and a day at the dealer. Again, I don't know if this is your car's problem but it started the same way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone.

Cheers
This has happened to me twice. I bought the car in December and the dealer and I have officially shared custody @ 50% each! Yep - I have had it back to the dealership 4 times for a total of 50% of my ownership!

I contacted JLRNA and asked for a new one, but I'm afraid it will have the same problems. The BCM has been replaced twice, 12V batts replaced, as well as both key fobs.

I don't know what my outcome will be, but another concern of mine is the CarFax. I had the service department pull the report and it is riddled with service visits (even before I bought it). I would NEVER buy that car used if I saw that report nor would I, as a dealer, take it in as a trade!

MK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input. After another 3 weeks in the shop the car still isn't charging properly. However they believe that the charge port is faulty and have ordered a new one. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after after dropping my car off on March 12th I am happy to say that I finally got it back in a fully functioning state on April 8th. The invoice/report is 6 pages long and the final cost topped $5,000. Thankfully it is under warranty. To date Jaguar has paid close to $70,000 in warranty repairs on my car which has less then 8,000KM on it.

After days of t tests and software checks and updates the problem was finally fixed when the charging port and its associated wiring harness were replaced. In this case the diagnosis was clearly more complicated then the repair.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Very OUCH! Glad you got it back, especially when so many dealers are shut down, and JLR headquarters in New Jersey are shuttered (although I think you're in Canada). $70k is insane....that is almost the cost of the car!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very OUCH! Glad you got it back, especially when so many dealers are shut down, and JLR headquarters in New Jersey are shuttered (although I think you're in Canada). $70k is insane....that is almost the cost of the car!
The main portion of the 70K spend was the replacement of the battery which was over $60,000. The battery is still sitting at the dealer and has a $10,000 core charge. I guess they will ship back east some day.

It's interesting to note that the battery was trucked from eastern Canada to Alberta and I'm told it was the only thing on the truck..

It likely cost less to ship the entire car to the dealership than the battery.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The $60k price tag for the battery is concerning. One of the obstacles for many looking at EVs is the potential replacement cost of the battery. It is unclear at this point if there will be a refurb market (JLR or private) for the iPace given its low volumes and the thought of having to drop $60k one day for a new battery (if that is the only option) after the warranty is a significant liability over and above what an ICE car faces.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The $60k price tag for the battery is concerning. One of the obstacles for many looking at EVs is the potential replacement cost of the battery. It is unclear at this point if there will be a refurb market (JLR or private) for the iPace given its low volumes and the thought of having to drop $60k one day for a new battery (if that is the only option) after the warranty is a significant liability over and above what an ICE car faces.
Maintenance for EV is very low, it's more reliable, but when something goes wrong, it's game over
That's why they are risky out of warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's why I'm getting an extended warranty. I would also expect the cost of replacement to drop over time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts