Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you wash your I-Pace and what's your general recommendation? I live in an area where it snows, so in winters, need to ensure that the chemicals are cleaned out along with the dirt.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I actually only wash our cars after it rains, a tree saps or a bird does a bombing. In So. Calif, we can go months and months between full washes.

We use a CA car duster on our cars daily (they are even sold at Rolls-Royce dealers). They quickly and easily remove light dust and do not scratch paint (even black).

I then use Meguiar's spray detailer for spot cleaning and clean the glass with Invisible Glass (spray, not foam).

Wheels get a damp microfiber cloth and diluted Simple Green (works so well).

If the car needs washing, I use Meguiar's Caranuba wash, Meguiar's car wash puffs/sponges and then I use a high powered blower to remove the bulk of the water and then dry the cars in the garage with soft, thick microfiber drying towels or 100% cotton towels I use just for cars.

Every 3-4 months I wax the cars with synthetic Meguiar's wax. Shines like the top of the Chrysler building :D

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
How do you wash your I-Pace and what's your general recommendation? I live in an area where it snows, so in winters, need to ensure that the chemicals are cleaned out along with the dirt.
I use automated car washes, brushless or brushed it really doesn’t matter. At the end of 2-5 years of ownership I doubt the value of the car is going to be significantly different between my car and one that was pampered by hand.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use automated car washes, brushless or brushed it really doesn’t matter. At the end of 2-5 years of ownership I doubt the value of the car is going to be significantly different between my car and one that was pampered by hand.
It's not about the value at the end of ownership. It is about how amazing your car looks during ownership! :) I personally like to wash my car by hand, it is therapeutic for me. A nice wax goes a long way to keeping the car clean as less can stick to the car. I use mostly Meguiar products also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hand wash or, at worst, the "laser" brushless car washes (I do the laser car wash far more than hand washing, I simply don't have time). Never, ever take a car you care about through a car wash that uses the big spinning foam brushes. I cringe just thinking about it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you are opposed to taking your car through an automated wash and prefer to wash by hand, you should be able to:
1) Power Rinse the car
2) Power spray a detergent foam the entire car
3) Power Rinse the car

That can hold you for a bit until you can do the two-bucket hand wash or whatever you prefer for regular washes. Mostly you are trying to reduce the impact of the chemicals and water spotting.

For the paint, if you can afford to do it, you might put on a ceramic film or a ceramic coat to create a better barrier in front of the clear coat and paint. These also rinse off much easier.

I don't live in snow country, so perhaps you an get some good advice from someone who has already gone through a winter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our water is so dang hard here in Phoenix that you have to prefilter (or use distilled as a rinse). I basically use the touchless car wash maybe 2x a month. I've found a place with a Mark VII system that does a good job, I just wish the manufacturer would list where they were all installed so that I could maybe find a closer one.

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
It's not about the value at the end of ownership. It is about how amazing your car looks during ownership! [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I personally like to wash my car by hand, it is therapeutic for me. A nice wax goes a long way to keeping the car clean as less can stick to the car. I use mostly Meguiar products also.
Whatever makes you happy! I guess outside a car show I have never marveled at someone’s shiny car...can’t say I have ever noticed someone’s car being shinier than mine either.

To me washing a car by hand is as therapeutic as having my teeth cleaned.

Maybe this is why I don’t concern myself with a car wash...

https://fbwat.ch/1k1U18ZW4vtKrJwr

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
It's not about the value at the end of ownership. It is about how amazing your car looks during ownership! [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I personally like to wash my car by hand, it is therapeutic for me. A nice wax goes a long way to keeping the car clean as less can stick to the car. I use mostly Meguiar products also.
Whatever makes you happy! I guess outside a car show I have never marveled at someone’s shiny car...can’t say I have ever noticed someone’s car being shinier than mine either.

Maybe this is why I don’t concern myself with a car wash...

https://fbwat.ch/1k1U18ZW4vtKrJwr
I suppose this might also be a factor in decreasing my enthusiasm for hand washing a car. This is normal for 4-5 months of the year...

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts

In all of that snow, I would not notice either. Fortunately the car wash and shininess is more for me, as I do notice and it does make me happy. I also enjoy a good teeth cleaning, so maybe I am just a bit off!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Im OCD with car paint and have a fairly good understanding of it. My car has very soft paint and its not that thick (4.5mils) which I'm pretty sure this is the case with all I-Paces. This means its very prone to scratching and marring.

For this reason, I would never wash it at a car wash. I agree with @Zofran about how it looks and its therapeutic

I suggest getting a professional ceramic coating so you wont have to wax your car for a few years and it will look extras shinny.

You never want to use dish washing liquid or non-microfiber towels.
The most sensitive parts are the black portions around the B-Pillar and the around the rear, roof spoiler. I suggest doing PPF here and at least the front bumper.

Here is what I use:

- 2 , Five gallon buckets with grit guard.

- Turtle wax snow foam wash - very cheap and one of the best

- 2 microfiber mitts for washing

- Meguiar Hybrid Ceramic wax for exterior vinyl, rubber, hard plastic, but works great for paint protection, easy to apply

- P&S Bead Maker for high gloss topper

- Wowos show stopper for another layer of gloss topper

- Adams Eco wheels cleaner

- Adams Tire & Rubber cleaner

- Untouchable wet tire sine spray

- Stoner invisible glass for all windows, safe on tint

- Chemical guys VRP - this is like Armor All for any plastic, rubber vinyl, interior and exterior

- Griots undercarriage - shines plstic parts of wheel wells and under the car

- Chemical guys Jet seal - sealant for interior black piano accents

- Chemical guys total interior - works well for interior screens

- Scotchgaurd Auto Fabric - spay on all carpet to repel liquids

- Adams leather cleaner and conditioner - Use once ever 2 months to keep leather clean and protected

- Turtle wax Ice seal and shine as a quick detailer

Towels: Rag Company

Pluffle for drying

Eagle 500

Eagle 350 for interior

Everest 1100 for buffing

Minx for wheels

Blue diamond for Windows

Costco microfiber for door jams

Coming soon:

Pressure washer with Foam canon

·
Registered
44 Posts
The problem in winter snow states that use a lot of salt is you'll want to get the salt knocked off. No wax or coating will keep salt off. Two bucket wash doesn't work well unless you have a nice heated garage with a drain. So for most people the choice is between touch-less or a foaming no-water system (Ammo makes one that's well rated).

The problem with touch-less is the chemicals are very harsh and will strip waxes and coatings. It also doesn't always do that good of a job reaching all the places. So you end up driving home and touching up spots and putting on a better spray wax. The plus side is it's quick and generally easy.

No water systems work good and don't have the same downsides as touch-less. The issue is really time. Specifically how much time you want to be hunched over in a cold garage washing the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im OCD with car paint and have a fairly good understanding of it. My car has very soft paint and its not that thick (4.5mils) which I'm pretty sure this is the case with all I-Paces. This means its very prone to scratching and marring.

For this reason, I would never wash it at a car wash. I agree with @Zofran about how it looks and its therapeutic

I suggest getting a professional ceramic coating so you wont have to wax your car for a few years and it will look extras shinny.

You never want to use dish washing liquid or non-microfiber towels.
The most sensitive parts are the black portions around the B-Pillar and the around the rear, roof spoiler. I suggest doing PPF here and at least the front bumper.

Here is what I use:

- 2 , Five gallon buckets with grit guard.

- Turtle wax snow foam wash - very cheap and one of the best

- 2 microfiber mitts for washing

- Meguiar Hybrid Ceramic wax for exterior vinyl, rubber, hard plastic, but works great for paint protection, easy to apply

- P&S Bead Maker for high gloss topper

- Wowos show stopper for another layer of gloss topper

- Adams Eco wheels cleaner

- Adams Tire & Rubber cleaner

- Untouchable wet tire sine spray

- Stoner invisible glass for all windows, safe on tint

- Chemical guys VRP - this is like Armor All for any plastic, rubber vinyl, interior and exterior

- Griots undercarriage - shines plstic parts of wheel wells and under the car

- Chemical guys Jet seal - sealant for interior black piano accents

- Chemical guys total interior - works well for interior screens

- Scotchgaurd Auto Fabric - spay on all carpet to repel liquids

- Adams leather cleaner and conditioner - Use once ever 2 months to keep leather clean and protected

- Turtle wax Ice seal and shine as a quick detailer

Towels: Rag Company

Pluffle for drying

Eagle 500

Eagle 350 for interior

Everest 1100 for buffing

Minx for wheels

Blue diamond for Windows

Costco microfiber for door jams

Coming soon:

Pressure washer with Foam canon

Wow!! Very detailed!
I will look into the ceramic coating first. I think there is some sort of rule aginst "washing cars on driveway" in our subdivision, so will have to check out the neighborhood car washes. Been going to a regular car wash for all our other vehicles w/ at least once a year full detailing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts