Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused about the car wash mode. When you stay inside the vehicle in an automatic/conveyor car wash, you do NOT need to engage in car wash mode, correct? You just put it in neutral, and at the end switch back to D?

From what I understand, car wash mode is for those car washes where the driver and attendant exit the vehicle. Sounds like it's because the vehicle would otherwise sense that the driver has exited and it would put itself in the park, therefore car wash mode prevents that from happening.

Just want to be sure that simply leaving in neutral while remaining in the vehicle in a car wash is no danger of damage.

This 2016 is so much more high-tech than my old 2009! Loving it so far though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'm a bit confused about the car wash mode. When you stay inside the vehicle in an automatic/conveyor car wash, you do NOT need to engage in car wash mode, correct? You just put it in neutral, and at the end switch back to D?

From what I understand, car wash mode is for those car washes where the driver and attendant exit the vehicle. Sounds like it's because the vehicle would otherwise sense that the driver has exited and it would put itself in the park, therefore car wash mode prevents that from happening.

Just want to be sure that simply leaving in neutral while remaining in the vehicle in a car wash is no danger of damage.
focusautodetailing.com
This 2016 is so much more high-tech than my old 2009! Loving it so far though.
thanks in advance for any suggestion

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think you are in the wrong forum. The Jaguar I pace was made from 2019+ and doesn’t have a car wash mode. I want to know what vehicle you have though, lol!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you are in the wrong forum. The Jaguar I pace was made from 2019+ and doesn’t have a car wash mode. I want to know what vehicle you have though, lol!
Ah this explains that! It's always complicated to switch off the wipers, engage the neutral and force disengage the handbrake (usually thru the left handle, which I never use except in that case), I wish there would be a wash mode for tunnels!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Maybe this message is a good time to review how one goes through a car wash (the ones where you get pushed through the tunnel in neutral) in the I-Pace (which I do in winter)... On more than one occasion, I found that putting the car in neutral did not work and the car fought being pushed into the tunnel. I had to go into drive to release the brakes and then back into neutral. I try to be careful when I stop at the little terminal to scan the wash code to be in neutral while the car is still rolling slightly before to prevent the brake hold from engaging. Is there a simpler method?

Oh, make sure you lock the doors. The spinning towels can catch the car door and open the door!

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
73 Posts
I never have problems in my car wash where I stay in the car and put it in neutral, possibly because I have creep mode on. The car relies on me to brake if necessary vs braking/holding itself.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe this message is a good time to review how one goes through a car wash <..>is there a simpler method?
Oh, make sure you lock the doors. The spinning towels can catch the car door and open the door!
That last one is really good, thanks for the advice! The tunnel I usually use is manned, so I don't need to leave the car to pay, but still... I got twice a very weird situation where the trunk opened itself. By chance, the attendee was there and stopped the tunnel. No idea what caused this, I could have pressed the trunk button in my pocket, but why would it happen there and only there???
This proves a dedicated mode would be nice!

Close windows and lock them, retract door handles, lock trunk and bonnet, disable brake hold, disable wipers, disable alarm, gearbox on Neutral, force-release handbrake.

The current status of brake hold must be kept, to be restored when disabling the tunnel mode. (that is, if this feature gets implemented...) Anything else?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now I am worried. I took the Cat to our local car wash where you pull up and get out and they drive onto conveyor system. No issue. I did notice they attached the driver's seat belt. I wonder if this negated all the possible issues mentioned in the thread.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
74 Posts
Bought an electric pressure washer and foam cannon. Works a treat. Touchless except for the glass (of which there’s a lot). My winter method is to watch my son use the pressure washer. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts