Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very long driveway (rural property) and my mailbox is a couple of hundreds yards from the house. When I get out of the car to get the mail, I have two issues:

1. If I put the car in park and open the door, the car shuts off. I have to start it again before I drive off.
2. I discovered that the car will auto-enable park but not shut off if I just open the door and get out. However I can't drive off without putting my seat belt on.

Is there any way to override this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the car has an auto parking brake when setting P but I am not sure where the "manual" parking brake is... perhaps I should read the manual more!

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's located to the left of the steering wheel a little above knee height. See attached pic and usage instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There is also something about leaving the car in D and it will apply the brake?

But I use the N then push in on the silver lever to PARK (make sure it's lit on dashboard), and exit the car.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There is also something about leaving the car in D and it will apply the brake?
Here's what the manual says:

To protect against unintentional vehicle movement, the EPB is automatically applied when the driver is detected to be exiting the vehicle. The EPB is applied when Drive (D), or Reverse (R) is selected and all the following conditions exist:

The vehicle is stationary.

The driver's seat belt is unfastened or the driver's door is opened.

The brake pedal is released.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree this is very annoying...sometimes I get in the car and get ready to leave and realize I forgot something in the garage or just in the house, and when I get out the car turns off. Or when I get out to drop a letter in the mailbox the car turns off. The only solution I'm aware of is the one previously stated...use Neutral and the manual parking brake on the left of the steering wheel =(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the image showing where the parking brake is! N + manual park works. I will try D then manual park later.

D and exit will automatically apply the parking brake and the car won't shut off, *however* the car won't auto-release park until you put on your seatbelt, which is weird. It's weird since it doesn't make you do that when starting the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I found a way around it. Put the car in Park but don't get out until the car tells/shows you the door is open. It tells you to press ok on the steering wheel. Hit ok and then get out and the car will stay running.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same frustration. And what works which I found by accident is put your foot on the brake with the car in park and open your driver door. The car will stay in the on mode and you can get out check your mail and get back in the car. I have hated this I get in the car forget that I need to get something and I needed to go in the house to get something and the car would turn off on me. I haven't had a check to see if this is documented but I found this works for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
I had the same frustration. And what works which I found by accident is put your foot on the brake with the car in park and open your driver door. The car will stay in the on mode and you can get out check your mail and get back in the car. I have hated this I get in the car forget that I need to get something and I needed to go in the house to get something and the car would turn off on me. I haven't had a check to see if this is documented but I found this works for me.
Oh that's a good one! I'll have to try that.

How many workarounds do we have now? Four? Haha :surprise:

·
Registered
452 Posts
The problem I notice from the original post is that the driver appears to not wear the seat belt.

If the driver has the seat belt fastened, driver only has to stop the car, put it in park, open the door, unfasten seat belt (in that sequence) and go check the mail or whatever. This is assumes that there is no possibility that someone else won't jump in and drive off in the car. DON'T EVER DO THIS AT A CONVENIENCE STORE or other public places.

This four step sequence is what the others have found but the important factor is that the SEAT BELT MUST BE FASTENED FIRST BEFORE DRIVING. All the other steps follow that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts