Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ken you talk of attitude, you seem to be coming with a lot of it right out the gate. You seem to be giving expert opinion on wall street and Tesla and all else in the world. Making sweeping pronouncement. You didn’t read all my post in full unfortunately. I feel pretty sorry. You also seem to representing JLR and passing judgements on what they would do.

take it easy pal.
Where did I offer my ‘expert opinion’ on Wall St and Tesla? I offered MY opinion on what JLR might do based on what you’ve stated here. It is only my opinion, not an ‘expert opinion’.

We’ve had many people come to this forum with issues, some with issues that were repetitive in nature. But they came here looking for advice, not just to vent and not to state how they’re trying to get a buyback from JLR right out of the gate.

I’ve been helped out here multiple times because I was anxious to work around quirks in an otherwise wonderful car. As I said, I had to be towed as a result of a total breakdown within the first few weeks of ownership. However rather than throw up my hands in disgust, I wanted to work through it. I’m glad I did.

I’ll be totally honest, I’m not sure what you were looking for from this group. Was it just to vent? This is a group of members that will make serious attempts to help people out who are honestly looking for help. But your first post and those that followed never appeared to be looking for sincere help, only venting.

·
Super Moderator
2,419 Posts
The car and the way it's serviced has flaws, there's absolutely no doubt about it. Shyam, your complaints have been voiced by quite a few owners and it's totally understandable that you're frustrated with the experience. A few of the issues you mention can be mitigated but many cannot. For example, I drove off today for the first time in my ownership of an I-Pace where the stupid software had forgotten my home screen preferences and everything was glaring white at me; I had to reset preferences. Arg. Totally stupid stuff and annoying as ****.

Many people around here take those issues in stride because they love the way the kitty drives, myself included. But I totally get it, if the car doesn't work for you it's best to get rid of it.

Curious to know whether you'd go electric again and if so, what you're considering?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
1. The car systems are not intuitive.
2. Its not silent inside there is a forced sound of a motor engine. It can be at best put on a low level and not stopped!
3. The steering is manual adjust. So the memory doesn't remember that since the steering doesn't recede when the car is turned off
4. The seat heating is not remembered as a memory
5. The music system is not top quality
6. I bought a HSE top end model and the feature to adjust the ambient light inside the car is missing
7. There are two separate remote apps on my phone and then a third app for route planner
8. The dealership was not trained fully. Someone in the dealership told me that the two bolts that came with the car are only for transportation and can be removed and left in my garage. Boy that was one things that was required to tow the car!
9. Despite all the adjustments in the display, the car slow down is sporadic on taking the leg off the accelerator.
10. The Sun visor is just single and small. in most cars its double so you can have one in the front and move one to the side of the window, which is needed when you driving in the evening or morning when the sun is low. Also the single visor itself is so small that it doesn't cover much.
11. The music can be muted only by reaching out to the dial below the display! The volume can be controlled from the steering wheel but mute is not possible.
12. The Car doesn't feel gripping the road on turns down the ramp as much as an Audi Q7 (6 years) or even the Hyundai Palisade I had for for 6 months.
1. Well, systems are just a matter of getting used to things. I find them just fine.
2. It's quieter than most cars. Quieter than a Tesla. You just notice a lot of otherwise covered noises because it's so quiet.
3. Manual steering adjust is an interesting choice by Jaguar for sure, but then I don't think it's important myself.
4. You want seat heating to come on always? I'm not sure I'd want that. It does turn on to the same settings after a brief break in driving.
5. It is an excellent music system. It plays loud and clear. It's not like my home system, but for a car, it doesn't get much better. I wouldn't mind a larger sub. I think it drops off around 50Hz.
6. I don't know if ambient light is included. Check your options list.
7. I don't use the apps. I find them a waste of time. But yeah, the software is a bit of a mess. But like I said, I don't use it. Don't see a reason to.
8. Dealerships in general are bad. Lexus is often good. That's about it.
9. When the battery is full, regen is low or off. After you drive some, it goes to normal.
10. The sun visor does the job for me. I'd not want it bigger. Move your seat higher?
11. I'm not sure about muting. You can change the source to a blank one, like you don't have satellite radio. What does pressing the volume scroll wheel do? I'm either listening or turning the stereo off.
12. Handling complaints I have no idea about. The car grips the road incredibly well, and doubly so for being on all season tires. Maybe you want summer tires on 22" rims? A Model 3 P could get me home faster on my exceedingly twisty canyon road. Maybe... 10 seconds faster over 6 miles?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am only 2 months on the road with my new MY21 I-PACE but every time I drive it I have a big smile on my face. Without doubt for me the best car I ever drove. Nothing is perfect, other brands have different issues. The ones you mentioned are actually no things to really complain. It looks a bit stressed and desperate to get the points listed above. Actually not a single argument to choose a different brand. The list of a Tesla would be around 30 much more serious points 😂 So without any pink glasses or fanboy allures the objective way to judge the I-PACE is just "wow" I also got stranded after 2 weeks with a dead starter-battery. The car was gone 3 days. Should not happen on a brand new car but it did. No other manufacturer guarantees 100% performance. So as long as Jaguar hears their customers and brings up SOTA updates everything is fine. I would not change my I-PACE for any other car except a MY22 😁

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks everybody for your response. Yes I was venting because I was frustrated. My experience was bad. It got aggravated by the customer service or lack thereof.

Just to clear the air, I didn’t post my vent the first time. I patiently worked thru the system to get my car fixed. Post fixing I shared my experience and anxiety on whether it would repeat itself. When one of the members asked me about my experience, I poured all the small stuff I experienced, no big deal.

However some members were feeling very righteous and threw out stuff like people trashing Tesla trying to shot their stock etc.

As of now I am trying to make the best of my fixed car. The pouring out was because of the high expectations from a legendary brand like Jaguar and facing such issues.

Thanks again for the support. I am solving thru issues by either finding work arounds ( config the option button for mute) or accepting that and living with it like the manual steering adjust. This feature may not seem important to many... but when one is on the other side of 55 and has a back issue, a wheel that recedes back when the car is switched off making more room for the driver to get out, is a boon ( offered as standard in even Hyundai and Kia)

My bad for bringing these up. In the IT world the customers bring up all sorts of bugs, issues, features improvements into the forum, so the software they love is improved further. I pace for the most part is software driven and there is room for making it great.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
974 Posts
Although the manual steering wheel/column is what it is, you might find programming seat memory position 3 (pick any of the seat position numbers) with the seat fully down and back to allow more exit room. Program another position to where you like the seat to be. Pressing the 3 (or whichever you choose) before exiting to move the seat may help a little. Yes, it is an extra step.

The caveat is that if you create a profile, the car will remember the desired driving seat position and move the seat to that position once you open the door to get in. This is unlike my Range Rover that only moves the seat to driver position after the start button is pressed to power up the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ayepace

Thank you so much for the work around. I did try that earlier. Perhaps I am missing something. But the position 3 for getting out randomly gets attached to my profile so next time when I get in, the seat position is on 3.. No big deal I just made this a routine to change each time. I grew up in a world in my early years where one was used to work around. For example some old cars would drag to the left no matter what... so we would always hold the streering down to the other side. Or due to some lose connection the left or right side wiper won’t come on, so yo just reached out to wind shield and gave light punch with soft side of the fist where the wiper box was located and it would spring to life.

I am learning. Guess I got spoilt coming into US and expecting the top brands should just work. Sense of entitlement when you spend top dollars.

Thanks again for your relentless support.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I am learning. Guess I got spoilt coming into US and expecting the top brands should just work. Sense of entitlement when you spend top dollars.

Thanks again for your relentless support.
I don't think you did anything wrong. Some people very obviously have come in here to attack Jaguar and pump up Tesla, so the animosity. The I-Pace is an imperfect beast, but it is a fantastic car. I can't think of a better one overall.

And Jaguar is specifically known for being unreliable. Infamous even.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
264 Posts
Getting stranded is frustrating particulary in a new car - price for early adoption of new techniology. The 12V battery seems to be the Achilles heel for all electric vehicles unfortunately not just Jaguar. The other issue that's been discussed that can strand you in early models is the short wiring harness - corrected in later models. Enjoy that new car ShyamUS - it really is in class to itself.

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
9 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Ayepace has provided lots of recommendations already that are helpful. Hopefuly, your situation will come to a happy ending, regardless of the outcome.

I do understand your feeling and can relate somewhat. My i-pace initial experience was also not smooth compared to previous automotive purchases as well. Had several dealer delivery issues (my was bought in South California with del to Texas) that was delayed by 2W as originally committed. Once delivered and due to COVID, the plates were not completed until 2M later. Had to pay for two temp registration just to be able to drive the car. Not a Jaguar problem, did it did sour the experience. Then, 2 days into ownership, the black screen of death. it sat at the deal for 2 days (tehy also updated the firmware as well) but did get a LR as a loaner. 3 days later, noticed that it will not connect to my WiFi anymore (common topic on this forum); it could not even "See" any avail SSID around me despite my phone seeing 10+ around the neighborhood. Brought back to dealer. They did some updates again. IT works, but seem to never able to remember the password. Each time that I connect, I have to search the WiFi and enter the password. Then 1 month later, found the trunk weather stripping gasket loose. Back to dealer again. The told me that they have to special order the part and would bring back for Service in early Dec. It's Jan 2021, and they still have to received it yet. They did double side taped it back, but I am cautious not to drive it in the rain or wash the car in case water leaks in. All the while, the wife constantly nags and nags...The words "Tesla" and e-tron" came up a lot several times in various conv.

There were other smaller SW issues that have been fixed w/ each update. But the initial exp was not positive as I was expecting. I can imagine your exp was much worse given the mechanical and safety potentials. BUT...when it works and once the SW maturity issues, I expect this to prob be the second best/fun (first being a heavily modified Turbo FC3S RX-7 making almost 300 RWHP back in the 90's) car ever for me. Give it time. I would think that the car will change your mind and heart. :)

Either way, good luck. Welcome to the club, even if it is for a very short period.

·
Registered
15 Posts
New 2020 HSE model IPACE. less than 2 weeks. 400 miles. On Christmas day the Car just stopped on the ramp coming off the highway. Jaguar Road side assistance completely useless and unhelpful. Had a traffic jam at the back. Cops came. A flatbed literally dragged the frozen car into its back and towed it away. 12 days later it was fixed, the stated problem was some software issue and secondary battery failure. I just hope it runs ok now!!! feel very unsafe driving in the car.

JaguarUSA responded post a call from me via email. But after that they have been unresponsive to my follow up emails. At this time, I feel very let down and get the feeling that I may have bought a sub standard unit.

The Maps update is not working.. it says contact the dealer.
The Schedule Charging is not working. Its the top end model but it doesn't have the ambience light adjuster. Very unhappy with the car.
Had same exact issue with my 2019 HSE first addition. Jaguar support is useless. I had this issue 3 times and 3 times it was at dealership with software update which did not help. You will need a new battery. Since I had the battery replaced I put 22,000 miles and never any issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New 2020 HSE model IPACE. less than 2 weeks. 400 miles. On Christmas day the Car just stopped on the ramp coming off the highway. Jaguar Road side assistance completely useless and unhelpful. Had a traffic jam at the back. Cops came. A flatbed literally dragged the frozen car into its back and towed it away. 12 days later it was fixed, the stated problem was some software issue and secondary battery failure. I just hope it runs ok now!!! feel very unsafe driving in the car.

JaguarUSA responded post a call from me via email. But after that they have been unresponsive to my follow up emails. At this time, I feel very let down and get the feeling that I may have bought a sub standard unit.

The Maps update is not working.. it says contact the dealer.
The Schedule Charging is not working. Its the top end model but it doesn't have the ambience light adjuster. Very unhappy with the car.
I totally feel for you. This car elicits strong emotions. I had the 12v battery out after a few weeks myself, and it took 2 weeks for the dealer to get the car back to me. I was bit frustrated to say the least: This is an expensive car and I felt a bit let down but I knew going in this is new technology and local dealerships have very little experience with it. I was nervous for a few weeks after but really, really enjoyed this car after that. Until another issue happened: gear box failure. I was on a ranch way out of town and I could not get in reverse, thank goodness there was plenty of offroad space to turn around and this was not a Tesla with zero ground clearance. My first experience of the 12v failure taught me to bring the car to the dealer as soon as a warning sign happens since the car can die at any time so I drove the car straight to the dealer. This gearbox thing got fix after much patience from me (4 weeks, unacceptable I thought but I have reminded myself of the new technology and the lack of experienced mechanics working on high voltage systems) and I have been a very happy and proud owner of the IPACE since then. 10 months ownership, 18k miles so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As explained earlier, I came up the ramp off the highway and stopped at the top of the ramp stop sign before entering the road my city. The car went into park mode and displayed error message “ the parking brake is not stable press ok to drive” then came the message “battery failure” then cam the message “gearbox fault”. The would turn on and turn off in a few seconds. I had no idea about any battery fail then. It was only after JLR told me that there was a software failure and the battery the controls the computer had an issue and was putting out very low voltage And therefore needs to be replaced. It is great that none of you experienced this issue.Although I did read that some may have experienced a similar issue. Hope this clarifies. I was not trying to whine for no reason, had a genuine issue and shared it and further when one of the members asked for my opinion and experience of driving for the first few days, I shared my experience. Some of the issues or points that I shared are true and have not been disputed except stating that they should not have been raised and I should have known that and not bought the car.

didnt know I would offend people by stating facts.

anyway I rest my case. It’s not about me. It’s about the car. I can understand if any of the statements were not backed by facts.

I am stating all this because you stated that you are an educator and therefore are able to see the facts clearly.

thanks
Reading the additional info about the error messages and failure points straight to the 12V system. If the battery was putting out low voltage, this exact thing will happen. I saw the same messages when my 12V system dropped dramatically. Luckily, my issue occurred when the car was parked and left unplugged for a little too long. Once the voltage dropped below a certain threshold, it can't give out enough juice to keep the systems running and the dc-dc converter from the high voltage traction battery doesn't take hold. This is a design flaw that could be fixed - probably in code, but I'm not sure if it has.

When this happened to me, I charged my 12V system manually and drove the car in for service. They did the BECM update. I do NOT know yet if this fixed the problem since I have not let the car sit for too long without driving or charging. I started using WattCat to watch the 12V charge. So, either the BECM update fixed it or I need to wait longer to see if the problem returns.

Regarding the OP's comments, I have a lot of sympathy:
1) I agree. The car lacks intuition in many aspects. Luckily, I got past that by giving it time. Even after a while of owning, I still see that there are certain things from my Hyundai Santa Fe that were better in the way of controls or intuition.
2) I have an SE, not the HSE, so I don't ever hear the forced sound. Isn't that a feature on the HSE that can be adjusted? The sound on my SE is the genuine sound from the motors.
3) I agree. But, I didn't pay extra for the HSE and steering column controls. The OP is right to expect that should have been included in the HSE package. I'm surprised to hear it isn't.
4) True.
5) I don't know since my last car was a Hyundai. And my Jag before that was a 1980 XJ6... I thought it was a good sound system, but I'm not one to know a good sound system.
6) No experience. I thought ambient lighting change was on all HSE models, but that might be build based instead. My SE is a fixed green.
7) Good point. JLR needs to do better on software overall. Even if the software comes from someone else, everything should be packaged and integrated.
8) People at the dealership... Ugh! They should have warned you about the tow bolts!
9) I have to disagree. Braking is fine for me. As AyePace mentions, you have to choose between low regen or high regen braking. In high regen, it takes a LOT of getting used to, but after a while, it became my preferred method of driving to give "one-pedal" control. But, it really take practice to get the touch so it doesn't jerk. If you don't like it, use low-regen. My first two weeks were spent on low regen until I got used to everything else. I never remember jerking while using low-regen. Bear in mind that there is a "tick" mark on the left of the dial that starts pretty high up around the 11:30 vicinity, somewhere near the letter "R" or "G" on a full charge. That tick mark tells you how much regen is available for capture. On a full charge, it can't regen much because it can't shunt the regen power since it can't send it to the battery that fast. After you drive some, the tick mark moves counterclockwise until it disappears (after 10+ miles). That's when you get full regen braking. I really do like the braking and hope you give it a chance if you have to keep the car.
10) I agree. It needs a better sun visor. I have the exact same gripe.
11) I agree. You can reprogram something, but your expectation is reasonable and they should have an easy mute control.
12) I'm not sure I understand your road grip comment. I've had a few sports cars in the past: early 300ZX, XR4Ti, Crossfire, and some sporty sedans. Only the Crossfire was better than my I-Pace on road grip. I can't compare to the Audi or the Palisade, but I'm really surprised about the comment comparing to the Palisade. My Santa Fe wasn't even in a league close to the I-Pace on grip.

The OP didn't include some of the gripes I still have. I really think an audible sound should be on the blind spot detector if you have your turn signal on. I felt a lot safer with this feature like they have on Hyundais. And the charger door is ridiculous.

JaguarUSA does indeed need to do a better job. And JLR needs to do better on software, software integration, and module performance (especially infotainment). JLR makes a good car, but it could be so much better with some tweaks that don't necessarily have to break the bank!

BUT, I still love my I-Pace. I'm sorry the OP does not and hope it all works out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dealer told me that beside the main HV battery there is only a 12 Volt Starterbattery in the MY21. No more 3rd low voltage battery. Can anybody confirm this here? I got also a new battery after 4 weeks - now with precaution it hangs on a CTEK charger set on AMG battery type in the garage over the winter-time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My dealer told me that beside the main HV battery there is only a 12 Volt Starterbattery in the MY21. No more 3rd low voltage battery. Can anybody confirm this here? I got also a new battery after 4 weeks - now with precaution it hangs on a CTEK charger set on AMG battery type in the garage over the winter-time.
That would explain the auxillary battery level of zero I have always had showing in Wattcat.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
974 Posts
If you take off the panel in the frunk behind the storage area, the large 12V battery will be obvious. The small 12V battery is/was on the opposite side. You'll see a red cover over its positive post if it is there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ugh. I had my 2019 HSE put itself into Park by itself, then I was unable to it get it into Drive. First time (November 2020) about 330 to 350 miles ago, I had my 6 yo granddaughter with me. We were stranded in the dark, on a dark road, in a dark car. I never knew what a great actress I could be! Had to keep her calm. Finally got it going. I called service the next day and they said they had never heard of that happening. I was told to take pictures of the dash to capture any warnings should it happen again. Fast forward to yesterday (January 14, 2021) and it happens again at an intersection. The traffic signal light turned green and I was frozen. No time to whip out my phone, plus, I didn’t see any messages. Noticed it was in Park again and would not go into Drive. The semi behind me had a really loud horn! As did the many vehicles behind him. Finally, I got a message to depress the brake to start the car. At this time, all the dash lights were still on. Got it started. As luck would have it, I was already headed to the dealer for regular maintenance. I was within a few miles. Service said they may have to recreate the issue! I won’t have my car for many months with that scenario. However, still waiting for a call to hear what the initial thoughts are. I am going to call them soon and suggest the fixes I read here. Thankful for this forum. I really, really love the car, but this just can’t keep happening.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
564 Posts
This sounds a little different to the OP. In your case the car was ready to restart.

For some reason the car turned of the "ignition". Simple solutions that may be the culprit involve the car losing contact with the key - does the battery need changing, a faulty on/off switch, or (and I hate to ask) did you accidently bump the on/off button while waiting at the light.
Of course more complex issues may be the problem, but it is easier to eliminate the simple ones first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No problem throwing out suggestions. I welcome anything to eliminate issues to get to the real culprit.

The first time this happened, I was traveling. Just suddenly lost power as in no response to the accelerator pedal. Not even sure how I got it into Drive again to be honest. Was trying everything. I did call the service advisor the next day and he went through some scenarios, none of which were the problem. No the door didn’t open, nor did the seatbelt come unfastened, etc. Seems to me if that were the problem, I would have had to resolve them to get moving again. But, I did check my granddaughter’s car seat the next day to see if it was maybe unbuckled, but it was perfect. We did replace the battery in the fob the next day in case it was the problem. The key was always in the passenger seat, so didn’t move out of range.

Second time, at the light, I was just waiting my turn as I was in the beginning of the line. If I had been rocking out, I could maybe see where my elbow hit the park button. But, no rocking out! So, each time, I considered it must be something I am doing. Well……..got my car back yesterday. Happy for a quick turn around to be sure!

Here’s the run down – actually was verified by the tech because it happened twice to him during the test drives! And, luckily threw a fault code. The first test drive he found fault code B1479-48 – Power Supply Distribution Box Supervision Software Failure. Proceeded to update the Gateway Module to the latest level, and test drove again. The symptom was still happening. Checked the Auxiliary Battery Voltage. Was ok. Checked the Main Battery voltage and was also ok. Then checked the Power Supply Distribution Box connections and found the connector that powers the PSDB was loose and causing a voltage drop. They secured all connections in Power Supply Distribution box. Road tested and no fault codes or error messages.

I told the service advisor I felt vindicated! Wasn’t caused somehow by me!! Hopefully, you guys won’t encounter the mystery loss of power while driving, but if you do, I hope this helps solve it quickly for you. Ok, now I can rock on……..

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
564 Posts
Glad it was resolved quickly and easily. When modern cars have so many safety/control features linked to electrical power distribution a loose contact can be a major issue in any vehicle.
From a personal perspective, I'm just glad it was not a systemic/design issue that would have manifested in many other cars.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts