Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2020 HSE model IPACE. less than 2 weeks. 400 miles. On Christmas day the Car just stopped on the ramp coming off the highway. Jaguar Road side assistance completely useless and unhelpful. Had a traffic jam at the back. Cops came. A flatbed literally dragged the frozen car into its back and towed it away. 12 days later it was fixed, the stated problem was some software issue and secondary battery failure. I just hope it runs ok now!!! feel very unsafe driving in the car.

JaguarUSA responded post a call from me via email. But after that they have been unresponsive to my follow up emails. At this time, I feel very let down and get the feeling that I may have bought a sub standard unit.

The Maps update is not working.. it says contact the dealer.
The Schedule Charging is not working. Its the top end model but it doesn't have the ambience light adjuster. Very unhappy with the car.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
There have been several cases of auxiliary and/or starter batteries going dead. A software update for the battery energy management or battery charging management may be the fix. Some have had a loose ground causing it. I don't recall anyone reporting repeat incidents after getting a fix for this issue.

Familiarize yourself with the release mechanisms pictured in

This will allow the vehicle to be moved without a severe dragging, provided it isn't a motor failure.

Read this post and the other posts in the thread concerning timed charging to ensure the correct procedure is followed.

Map updates requires creating an account at jaguar.here.com
I found that creating the account also requires waiting at least a day before it becomes active.
Then one can download the map updates to a FAT32 formatted USB drive (use a 3.0 or 3.1 USB drive) and then plug that into the car after navigation has booted up. Follow the prompts on the screen after that.

What have you done concerning attempts to do map updates?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Were you happy with the car for the first 400 miles? Just curious because you apparently didn’t post anything until now and there’s no question in your post.

Forgive me, because I’ve seen a lot of first time posters here and on the Tesla forums who have nothing but alleged bad experiences and then disappear from the forums. In the Tesla forums, many of these posters were short sellers who were trying to cast the car in a negative light to drive down sales and the stock price.

Within the first few weeks of my ownership, my car died in a parking lot. JLR’s tow service responded and had no real issues getting the car on the flatbed. The car was returned to me very quickly with the diagnosis being a loose ground connection. Since then the car has been flawless with the exception of occasional minor software glitches that are far less frequent than even several months ago.

As an FYI, map updates are done via download from your computer to a thumb drive and then transferred to the car. As for scheduled charging, there are many threads on this forum that discuss that. You can also buy a Level 2 smart home charger like the ChargePoint Home Flex that handles this beautifully.

Hopefully you’ll have many trouble-free miles now and wind up thoroughly enjoying the car like the vast majority of us. Let us know how it goes, even if your experiences are only good ones. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Familiarize yourself with the release mechanisms pictured in
I did this. Opened the hood and did the screws on the plastic with borrowed screw driver (Since Jaguar in its infinite wisdom didn't give any tool set). Moved the level to 90 degrees but nothing happened the car would go into neutral.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read this post and the other posts in the thread concerning timed charging to ensure the correct procedure is followed.
I read this followed the procedure. Hope it would work now. In any case the time to go shouldn't be linked to the scheduled charging. not very intuitive

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Map updates requires creating an account at jaguar.here.com
I found that creating the account also requires waiting at least a day before it becomes active.
Then one can download the map updates to a FAT32 formatted USB drive (use a 3.0 or 3.1 USB drive) and then plug that into the car after navigation has booted up. Follow the prompts on the screen after that.

I created an account and installed the download app and then downloaded the 12GB map update to a 32 GB usb stick formatted for FAT 32. Loaded USB in my car after starting the car. The display said update yes or no. I said. It said it would replace the previous version of the map. I said ok. After that it said there was an error and to contact the dealer. The dealer says there is no need to update via USB and it would be over the air. So back to the starting point!

What have you done concerning attempts to do map updates?
Were you happy with the car for the first 400 miles? Just curious because you apparently didn’t post anything until now and there’s no question in your post.
Actually not very happy for the following reasons:

1. The car systems are not intuitive.
2. Its not silent inside there is a forced sound of a motor engine. It can be at best put on a low level and not stopped!
3. The steering is manual adjust. So the memory doesn't remember that since the steering doesn't recede when the car is turned off
4. The seat heating is not remembered as a memory
5. The music system is not top quality
6. I bought a HSE top end model and the feature to adjust the ambient light inside the car is missing
7. There are two separate remote apps on my phone and then a third app for route planner
8. The dealership was not trained fully. Someone in the dealership told me that the two bolts that came with the car are only for transportation and can be removed and left in my garage. Boy that was one things that was required to tow the car!
9. Despite all the adjustments in the display, the car slow down is sporadic on taking the leg off the accelerator.
10. The Sun visor is just single and small. in most cars its double so you can have one in the front and move one to the side of the window, which is needed when you driving in the evening or morning when the sun is low. Also the single visor itself is so small that it doesn't cover much.
11. The music can be muted only by reaching out to the dial below the display! The volume can be controlled from the steering wheel but mute is not possible.
12. The Car doesn't feel gripping the road on turns down the ramp as much as an Audi Q7 (6 years) or even the Hyundai Palisade I had for for 6 months.

Not a good experience. Will get rid of it as soon as I am able to get another car.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Did you ever sit in this car prior to buying? As in ever?
Did you ever test drive this car? As in ever?
Did you ever research this car? As in ever?

I’m sorry, but I have limited sympathy for those that do zero research prior to a major investment. Surely almost everything you’re dissatisfied with would have been clearly revealed to you in a test drive. Heck, much of it would have been revealed had you simply sat in the car.

As an aside, the audio system, when fed quality material, is one of the best I’ve ever heard. Friends that have heard it, agree.

Some of your other complaints have remedies, but frankly I am convinced you’ve made up your mind about this car and nothing anybody says or tries to help you with will change your opinion.

If I were you I’d try to sell the car regardless of the loss incurred. Life is too short to be so miserable.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
I agree with you that the timed charging is not being intuitive. The good news that I found that once it is enabled by using an initial departure time, you don't need to have the departure time that was initially used or at any time after that. The charging period will remain until cleared.

#3: yes it would seem that the steering column could have been one like is used on Range Rovers, but they chose to cut cost (probably) and not have the added weight and electrical load.
#5 maybe my hearing is different from yours. The sound in mine is more than I need. Have you tried adjusting with the settings?
#6 even though you have an HSE (as do I), configurable ambient lighting is an additional option (I have it on mine).
#7 the navigation and route planning is from another company so it makes sense to have them responsible for its app from Jaguar.
#9 I have mine on high regen and it slows down plenty fast unless the battery is near full charge. I have adapted to the behaviour.
#11 I have the configurable "favorites" button on the lower left part of the left steering wheel set to be a mute control with a short press.
#12 what tires and wheels do you have?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you ever sit in this car prior to buying? As in ever?
Did you ever test drive this car? As in ever?
Did you ever research this car? As in ever?

I’m sorry, but I have limited sympathy for those that do zero research prior to a major investment. Surely almost everything you’re dissatisfied with would have been clearly revealed to you in a test drive. Heck, much of it would have been revealed had you simply sat in the car.

As an aside, the audio system, when fed quality material, is one of the best I’ve ever heard. Friends that have heard it, agree.

Some of your other complaints have remedies, but frankly I am convinced you’ve made up your mind about this car and nothing anybody says or tries to help you with will change your opinion.

If I were you I’d try to sell the car regardless of the loss incurred. Life is too short to be so miserable.
Yes I sat in the car “As in ever” yes drove this as in ever... some of the things like the sun visor and charging are not revealed unless you have the car for few days. Also I did research as much as possible and for God same one is buying a Jaguar and takes the review as stated.

as far as music is concerned i am feeding Tidal master quality top notch classical and Jazz recordings thru CarPlay via a cable. And it’s not satisfactory to me atleast ( having heard the system in Audi Q7).

By the way I am not seeking your sympathy..... you must be a genius with great ESP to sit in the car and figure out much of the stuff as stated by you.

I am glad you are enjoying your driving. And by the way I was only replying to a point raised by someone on my experience.

Perhaps I am little biased after the horrifying experience of being stranded on an up ramp on Christmas Day getting out in the pouring rain with 30 cars behind me and cops calling over the tow truck. You getting a ride back in the back seat of the cop car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you that the timed charging is not being intuitive. The good news that I found that once it is enabled by using an initial departure time, you don't need to have the departure time that was initially used or at any time after that. The charging period will remain until cleared.

#3: yes it would seem that the steering column could have been one like is used on Range Rovers, but they chose to cut cost (probably) and not have the added weight and electrical load.
#5 maybe my hearing is different from yours. The sound in mine is more than I need. Have you tried adjusting with the settings?
#6 even though you have an HSE (as do I), configurable ambient lighting is an additional option (I have it on mine).
#7 the navigation and route planning is from another company so it makes sense to have them responsible for its app from Jaguar.
#9 I have mine on high regen and it slows down plenty fast unless the battery is near full charge. I have adapted to the behaviour.
#11 I have the configurable "favorites" button on the lower left part of the left steering wheel set to be a mute control with a short press.
I have mine onhigh rehen too.

I have the 20” wheel and Goodyear tyres

thanks for your support and response.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have profiles setup and it learned from my preferences, so it now remembers my seat & steering wheel heating option. Of course, the profile sometime magically disappears and has to learn the preferences all over again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did setup the profile and preferences. But my issue is with the profile vanishing magically. My issue is about how a company like JLR with such super reputation for quality let things like these slip and once known not fix it.

If one was buying an unknown Chinese brand of some chep new funky electronic gadget from Amazon and it had bugs and issues one can understand but not a Jaguar... which is legendary, seen in movies, written in books, sung in songs one grew up with, dreaming to own one day.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yes I sat in the car “As in ever” yes drove this as in ever... some of the things like the sun visor and charging are not revealed unless you have the car for few days. Also I did research as much as possible and for God same one is buying a Jaguar and takes the review as stated.

as far as music is concerned i am feeding Tidal master quality top notch classical and Jazz recordings thru CarPlay via a cable. And it’s not satisfactory to me atleast ( having heard the system in Audi Q7).

By the way I am not seeking your sympathy..... you must be a genius with great ESP to sit in the car and figure out much of the stuff as stated by you.

I am glad you are enjoying your driving. And by the way I was only replying to a point raised by someone on my experience.

Perhaps I am little biased after the horrifying experience of being stranded on an up ramp on Christmas Day getting out in the pouring rain with 30 cars behind me and cops calling over the tow truck. You getting a ride back in the back seat of the cop car.
If you test drove the car, certainly the lack of steering wheel power adjustments would have manifested itself.

Certainly if the audio system was important to you, the lack of ‘top quality’ audio reproduction should have been apparent.

If you had read reviews on the car, you would also have easily seen this I-Pace is a relatively slow charging car. That was stated in several reviews. So you didn’t need to be in possession of the car for several days to see that was the case.

I’ll repeat what I said before, unfortunately I don’t think you’ll ever be happy with the car. I don’t think any suggested solutions will change that. I already tried to help you with two. Ayepace and others went further.

The I-Pace is not a perfect car, no car is. I’d be looking for the exits if it were me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate your response and help. I am from the early adopters ilk. I am grateful for all the suggestions. I think as I mentioned earlier it’s about what one expects from top notch company which is legend in its own right. It’s the these small things that marks the difference between the good and the great.

Guess there is also a valid answer for the fact that the engineers at the dealer ship need to talk to UK and wait for parts like the secondary battery from the UK to arrive.

I am looking for exits and working with Jaguar to take it back.

Thanks for your time your pronounce ent with conviction that I will never be happy with this car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well man proposes and Jaguar disposes. There may still be an after life post the short life....

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts

I applaud your politeness. You have more time and patience than I do. But, why bother typing out these replies to someone who cannot be bothered to read the manual on their phone?

As an educator, I always ask if the student has looked at the text or classnotes prior to answering a list of questions.
....If one was buying an unknown Chinese brand of some chep new funky electronic gadget from Amazon and it had bugs and issues one can understand but not a Jaguar... which is legendary, seen in movies, written in books, sung in songs one grew up with, dreaming to own one day.
I think this may be your problem. Jaguar vehicles in the US do not necessarily have this glamorous reputation. Many past models have had issues with reliabilty and repairs have been often been costly.
You just bought a new electronic gadget built in Austria - maybe better than Chinese built but not necessarily.
Yes, some issues in the manual are not necessarily written well, nor the procedures intuitive, but most of what you ask is either in the manual or in pages of this forum (as suggested).

BTW I'm not sure any of us have experienced a sudden shut down due to "secondary battery failure" where we couldn't pull over and out of a traffic stream. What exactly did you experience? What warnings/alerts did the car show prior to shutdown?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I applaud your politeness. You have more time and patience than I do. But, why bother typing out these replies to someone who cannot be bothered to read the manual on their phone?
BTW, I would be shocked if JLR takes his car back based on what he said. I reacted the way I did in my first response because I’ve seen this same kind of post multiple times over in the Tesla forum. They were either initiated by short sellers or those that with a bit of research could have easily educated themselves as to the pros & cons of the vehicle.

When your first post starts off with an obvious attitude and one that really isn’t seeking solutions, the red flags go up for me. Maybe I’m cynical from just seeing too much of this over the years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, I would be shocked if JLR takes his car back based on what he said. I reacted the way I did in my first response because I’ve seen this same kind of post multiple times over in the Tesla forum. They were either initiated by short sellers or those that with a bit of research could have easily educated themselves as to the pros & cons of the vehicle.

When your first post starts off with an obvious attitude and one that really isn’t seeking solutions, the red flags go up for me. Maybe I’m cynical from just seeing too much of this over the years.
Ken you talk of attitude, you seem to be coming with a lot of it right out the gate. You seem to be giving expert opinion on wall street and Tesla and all else in the world. Making sweeping pronouncement. You didn’t read all my post in full unfortunately. I feel pretty sorry. You also seem to representing JLR and passing judgements on what they would do.

take it easy pal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW I'm not sure any of us have experienced a sudden shut down due to "secondary battery failure" where we couldn't pull over and out of a traffic stream. What exactly did you experience? What warnings/alerts did the car show prior to shutdown?
As explained earlier, I came up the ramp off the highway and stopped at the top of the ramp stop sign before entering the road my city. The car went into park mode and displayed error message “ the parking brake is not stable press ok to drive” then came the message “battery failure” then cam the message “gearbox fault”. The would turn on and turn off in a few seconds. I had no idea about any battery fail then. It was only after JLR told me that there was a software failure and the battery the controls the computer had an issue and was putting out very low voltage And therefore needs to be replaced. It is great that none of you experienced this issue.Although I did read that some may have experienced a similar issue. Hope this clarifies. I was not trying to whine for no reason, had a genuine issue and shared it and further when one of the members asked for my opinion and experience of driving for the first few days, I shared my experience. Some of the issues or points that I shared are true and have not been disputed except stating that they should not have been raised and I should have known that and not bought the car.

didnt know I would offend people by stating facts.

anyway I rest my case. It’s not about me. It’s about the car. I can understand if any of the statements were not backed by facts.

I am stating all this because you stated that you are an educator and therefore are able to see the facts clearly.

thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts