Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Almost 2 full weeks in repair shop with no fix
Sorry to hear that... I know the frustration!

My SA would at least give me status updates every few days as to why the delays where occurring (if you recall my car was down 5 weeks) and when to expect the next event in the process. In my dealer's case, part of the problem was they didn't have the special tools, clothing, etc and it wasn't something they could apparently ship overnight from England (or didn't want to due to costs perhaps?) and that they needed coaching from techs in England. There were also problems with the available of techs with only one guy trained to work on the car at that level.

It may have helped that I dropped in first thing in the morning every couple of days at first since they dealer is just off my path to the office. I think it helped that I managed to stay a squeaky but polite wheel.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Almost 2 full weeks in repair shop with no fix
If your car is at the same dealership from where you purchased it, contact the salesman and ask him to check on the status. When my car is in the shop I text my salesman every other day and ask him to check with the service department. I understand how busy the service department is so going through my salesman helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Brian, have they given you any idea what the problem is? Sorry to read that you're still without your car!
Jaguar has NO CLUE what the problem is. The remote tech support is telling the dealership to replace the Park Pawl Motor ControlCircuit but that was last week and haven't heard a word since then so I'm assuming that didn't fix the problem. The reply back from the dealership is , The vehicle is currentlybeing put back together. My technician had to order several bolts that are onlyone time use. So, we're waiting for the bolts so we can further proceed withinstalling the vehicle correctly

Really? Being put back together sounds so drastic that they had to disassemble the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If your car is at the same dealership from where you purchased it, contact the salesman and ask him to check on the status. When my car is in the shop I text my salesman every other day and ask him to check with the service department. I understand how busy the service department is so going through my salesman helps.
While I would love to have my I-Pace back so I don't have to constantly go to the gas station to fill up my ICE loaner, part of me wants them to keep it and then have the car bought back via the Texas Lemon Law. In TX if the car has been in the repair shop for more than 30 non-consecutive days or if the car has been repaired 4 or more times for the same issue then the lemon law kicks in. I have brought the car in 3x before for software related issues and this 4th visit all the software error codes that popped up. The car has already been in the repair shop for 20 non-consecutive days.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I originally posted the video of car making noises;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ojddfeLruA1C5oNc6

On Friday evening, I received the below text from the dealership - it took them 5 days for this diagnosis;

We've found the cause! There are broken bolts and a faulty axle boot at the rear of your vehicle. I'm waiting on an ETA for the parts and will contact you with the update

That being said, two days earlier they sent
My technician found fault codes related to the power inverter and one of the control modules. Most of tomorrow will be spent downloading software updates.

Then again, on the day before the above I received, Still no update on the I-Pace except that the vibration may be related to a recall that was issued last month. I'll contact you with any other new info

As of Tuesday morning (11 days after delaer received car) no update from the dealership. Crickets. Thanks to Jaguar Remote App and WattCar I can see it is now parked in lot well away from dealership (non work area). The car has not been started since Friday. I understand they are somewhat learning as they go along but the lack of communication to offset other shortcomings is disappointing at best. Will post final resolution.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Thanks to Jaguar Remote App and WattCar I can see it is now parked in lot well away from dealership (non work area). The car has not been started since Friday.
For what it’s worth, the InControl doesn’t show every instance of the car being driven/moved short distances. I have no idea what the trigger point is for when it starts recording, but mine was moved around the dealership several times in the 6 weeks they had it (I know it was because I saw it being moved more than once), but InControl never recorded any of them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
For what it’s worth, the InControl doesn’t show every instance of the car being driven/moved short distances. I have no idea what the trigger point is for when it starts recording, but mine was moved around the dealership several times in the 6 weeks they had it (I know it was because I saw it being moved more than once), but InControl never recorded any of them.
I think the trigger point is around 7/10 of a mile for Incontrol to log a trip. It doesn't log my trips to the park at 6/10 of a mile.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the trigger point is around 7/10 of a mile for Incontrol to log a trip. It doesn't log my trips to the park at 6/10 of a mile.
You are exactly correct - I can see the vehicle location on map relative to dealership but WattApp records last time the vehicle started.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So it appears that in order to change the Park Pawl Motor Control Circuit they had to open up a part of the car that is normally sealed. Once opened Jaguar cannot reuse the nuts and bolts as they're meant for one time use only. The dealer had to order a new set of nuts and bolts to close the area where the circuit is housed. Fingers crossed this fixes the problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine is still in the shop, now a total of over 92 days in 6 months and JLR is still dragging their feet to make it right. The vehicle was in 3 weeks, and not repaired when I went to pick it up (traction battery fault at departure) so they now have it another 3 weeks and counting. The battery on the app showed a range of 165 miles when I took it in but now shows a drain down to 130 miles, but only shows 3 road tests for 2 miles each in 6 weeks. Lots of hood open reports, but nothing from the SA on ETA to repair. I suspect some issues with the motors as one person reported here they had the clunk and replacing the motor that had metal filings fixed it. If the synchronous motors were to stall due to a bearing seizure I suspect the change in current/voltage might trigger some fault with the DC drive control? At least that is possible in other DC drive systems. Anyone else want to guess not knowing the full design?

BTW, the dealer told me the motors had no oil. Obviously an internal of the JLR design the dealers are not trained in checking.

I am trying to be a nice guy, knowing they will eventually make this right, but I have a state arbitration board on hold and will schedule the hearing soon if this is not repurchased soon.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm dreading Consumer Reports annual car reliability rankings as I think the problems run much deeper than we realize. Just on this forum there are a number of members going through the buy back process. Yes, forums see a higher percentage of people with problems but it's still discouraging to see.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Mine is still in the shop, now a total of over 92 days in 6 months and JLR is still dragging their feet to make it right. The vehicle was in 3 weeks, and not repaired when I went to pick it up (traction battery fault at departure) so they now have it another 3 weeks and counting. The battery on the app showed a range of 165 miles when I took it in but now shows a drain down to 130 miles, but only shows 3 road tests for 2 miles each in 6 weeks. Lots of hood open reports, but nothing from the SA on ETA to repair. I suspect some issues with the motors as one person reported here they had the clunk and replacing the motor that had metal filings fixed it. If the synchronous motors were to stall due to a bearing seizure I suspect the change in current/voltage might trigger some fault with the DC drive control? At least that is possible in other DC drive systems. Anyone else want to guess not knowing the full design?

BTW, the dealer told me the motors had no oil. Obviously an internal of the JLR design the dealers are not trained in checking.

I am trying to be a nice guy, knowing they will eventually make this right, but I have a state arbitration board on hold and will schedule the hearing soon if this is not repurchased soon.
Why not start the buy-back process? According to JLR you can start the process once the car has been in the repair shop for 20 consecutive days. Call JLR corporate and get it started and I would also get the process started with state arbitration board

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why not start the buy-back process? According to JLR you can start the process once the car has been in the repair shop for 20 consecutive days. Call JLR corporate and get it started and I would also get the process started with state arbitration board
Thanks for your suggestion, but I started the process in May with JLR, then I started arbitration with BBB, but found them to be biased historically as they are funded by the manufacturers. JLR denied the buy back twice by phone and email, then I opened a case with the Attorney Generals Office. To this date JLR has not made an official response that could be used in any arbitration. Once I schedule the hearing, the ATG office will require a 10 day response or they will be in violation. Without this hearing, or using the BBB, JLR can stall and play games trying to make us go away. They are loosing all my goodwill and the goodwill of all my friends who would otherwise buy from JLR.

I was proceeding to schedule a hearing, but when the repair pick up on Aug 8th resulted in another repair order for the same issue I worked with the GM of the dealership to get a corporate involvement. In goodwill I put the hearing on hold, else the vehicle would be titled a Lemon. Another 3 weeks now waiting, and I see my I-pace making some 9 mile trips the past few days at the dealer, but no update. The loaner Velar is OK and fills the hole for making short trips so waiting (as I know they will eventually be forced) is not too painful. Believe me the Velar has its issues as well, but none as bad as my I-Pace. I just want to leave the vehicle in their custody until they buy it back, its not reliable to me.:|

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for your suggestion, but I started the process in May with JLR, then I started arbitration with BBB, but found them to be biased historically as they are funded by the manufacturers. JLR denied the buy back twice by phone and email, then I opened a case with the Attorney Generals Office. To this date JLR has not made an official response that could be used in any arbitration. Once I schedule the hearing, the ATG office will require a 10 day response or they will be in violation. Without this hearing, or using the BBB, JLR can stall and play games trying to make us go away. They are loosing all my goodwill and the goodwill of all my friends who would otherwise buy from JLR.

I was proceeding to schedule a hearing, but when the repair pick up on Aug 8th resulted in another repair order for the same issue I worked with the GM of the dealership to get a corporate involvement. In goodwill I put the hearing on hold, else the vehicle would be titled a Lemon. Another 3 weeks now waiting, and I see my I-pace making some 9 mile trips the past few days at the dealer, but no update. The loaner Velar is OK and fills the hole for making short trips so waiting (as I know they will eventually be forced) is not too painful. Believe me the Velar has its issues as well, but none as bad as my I-Pace. I just want to leave the vehicle in their custody until they buy it back, its not reliable to me.:|
So did JLR tell you they cannot open up a buyback case until 20 consecutive days in the repair shop? Thats what I was told so I have to wait until next Wednesday, Sept 4th to open the case. I'm going to open a lemon law case in TX regardless of opening a case with JLR

21 - 40 of 71 Posts