Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2020 I-Pace HSE with 250 miles.

Recently driving I notice the fan is on pretty much all the time. I do live in Florida and it is very hot this time of year.

Also seems to have excessive noise in cabin. Not sure if it is the tires on the pavement used in Florida Roads or something wrong with vehicle. I have the sound control set to the lowest for cabin noise.

Any ideas, or is this just normal.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I don’t notice fan noise, but I’ve definitely noticed there are some road surfaces that cause a fair amount of road noise to intrude into the cabin. My wife’s Lexus ES300h can navigate those same roads with much less road noise. IMO Jaguar could have done a better job with road noise isolation.

Now the odd thing is that on different days, on the same roads, noise levels can vary. On some days it seems the road noise isn’t too bad and on other days, on the same roads, noise can be higher. For what ever reason, yesterday I noticed more road noise than I’ve experienced thus far.

It’s not wind noise since I’ve never seen that to be an issue at any speed. Could it be the tire temperature? My Model S had the same issue with road noise. Unfortunately there aren’t many tire options for our cars that I’m aware of. In fact Tire Rack seems to suggest that the tires that Jaguar uses on the I-Pace are relatively quiet. So could it just be insufficient sound dampening in the wheel wells?

I’m curious what others think too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken, I appreciate your info.

I will be visiting the deal in next few days and just make sure it isn't a bearing in the front motor or something else. Also the sound dampening adjustment does not seem to do anything. What a waste.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I don’t notice fan noise, but I’ve definitely noticed there are some road surfaces that cause a fair amount of road noise to intrude into the cabin. My wife’s Lexus ES300h can navigate those same roads with much less road noise. IMO Jaguar could have done a better job with road noise isolation.

Now the odd thing is that on different days, on the same roads, noise levels can vary. On some days it seems the road noise isn’t too bad and on other days, on the same roads, noise can be higher. For what ever reason, yesterday I noticed more road noise than I’ve experienced thus far.

It’s not wind noise since I’ve never seen that to be an issue at any speed. Could it be the tire temperature? My Model S had the same issue with road noise. Unfortunately there aren’t many tire options for our cars that I’m aware of. In fact Tire Rack seems to suggest that the tires that Jaguar uses on the I-Pace are relatively quiet. So could it just be insufficient sound dampening in the wheel wells?

I’m curious what others think too.
Here in Colorado the only noise seems to be when the road has the series of water channeling grooves. The grooves also give the car a "floating" feel and I need to make subtle adjustments to stay centered in the lane.

I've become spoiled by the overall quietness and now that it's warmer and I have the windows down I hate the traffic noise. The only car I've owned with similar low cabin noise was a Ford Fusion PHEV in battery-only mode. The engine was really raspy and unpleasant though.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here in Colorado the only noise seems to be when the road has the series of water channeling grooves. The grooves also give the car a "floating" feel and I need to make subtle adjustments to stay centered in the lane.

I've become spoiled by the overall quietness and now that it's warmer and I have the windows down I hate the traffic noise. The only car I've owned with similar low cabin noise was a Ford Fusion PHEV in battery-only mode. The engine was really raspy and unpleasant though.
Curt, I suspect it might have something to do with the road surfaces in NY. Our roads are in such terrible shape and have such a coarse texture, that I’d bet that’s the issue.

Yet here is my wife’s Lexus that’s considerably quieter in terms of road noise (not mechanical or wind noise, which is on par with the kitty). Hers rides on 18” wheels vs my 20s that could also make a difference. I also have to admit that Lexus simply does a great job in the area of noise reduction... probably the best in the business. Boring to drive yes, but dang it’s quiet.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Curt, I suspect it might have something to do with the road surfaces in NY. Our roads are in such terrible shape and have such a coarse texture, that I’d bet that’s the issue.

Yet here is my wife’s Lexus that’s considerably quieter in terms of road noise (not mechanical or wind noise, which is on par with the kitty). Hers rides on 18” wheels vs my 20s that could also make a difference. I also have to admit that Lexus simply does a great job in the area of noise reduction... probably the best in the business. Boring to drive yes, but dang it’s quiet.
Does your Lexus have active noise cancelling? My Fusion PHEV had it and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Does your Lexus have active noise cancelling? My Fusion PHEV had it and it made a big difference.
Curt, I confess I had to look it up and, not surprisingly, it does. I too had the Fusion PHEV, but the ES is in a different clas of quiet. ;)

We just got back from having lunch at an ‘allowed’ outside restaurant dining area. This was the first time my son was in the I-Pace (he’s not a car guy as so many of the younger guys don’t seem to be), but he did comment on how smooth the ride was. Aesthetically, he thought the car looked ‘muscular’.

We took different roads today and the road noise was very unobtrusive, leading to a nice quiet ride. So I’m convinced road composition has much to do with the presence or absence of road noise (much more so than the Lexus).

Here’s the blurb on the impressive Lexus noise canceling technology:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good to hear. I assume you have the low profile tires as they will be louder for road noise?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Curt, I confess I had to look it up and, not surprisingly, it does. I too had the Fusion PHEV, but the ES is in a different clas of quiet. ;)

We just got back from having lunch at an ‘allowed’ outside restaurant dining area. This was the first time my son was in the I-Pace (he’s not a car guy as so many of the younger guys don’t seem to be), but he did comment on how smooth the ride was. Aesthetically, he thought the car looked ‘muscular’.
Our son is a car guy and described the I-Pace as a "spaceship". He likes to drive it whenever possible.

Tires make a big difference on road noise and not just the profile. We put new tires on our current Fusion and it's much quieter. I don't know much about the Jaguar tires (I have the 20"s too) but the tire shop rep said that many tires the manufacturers use are not the best for either wear or noise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have a 2020 Acura RDX. So I did a road test between the I-Pace and Jaguar. Both cars are extremely loud on the Florida Turnpike road surface where the road is a gray color. Once the road surface changed to blacktop for a short while, the Acura got a little quieter. I did the same exact driving with the Jag and once the surface changed there was a very big change in road noise. The car got much quieter.

So I think I now eliminated the possibility of a bad bearing in the front motor, due to the significant change in sound over road surface. I don't think the road surface would have any effect on the sound coming from the electric motor.

It is very hot this time of year in Florida and the loudness I am hearing is most probably the tires on extremely hot road surface, (I hope) Anyway, the 2020 came with a long warranty so if there
is anything that the dealer says needs to be looked at, the only concern would be how long they would keep the car. I had bad experience with a previous vehicle that ended up 6 weeks at their shop and not getting fixed.I traded it back to the dealer and was glad to see it go.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Densjag, your observations regarding road surfaces are exactly like mine. Relatively fresh road surfaces are much quieter in the Jag. The Lexus is much less sensitive to this, but as Curt said, that might be a function of the active noise canceling which is absent in the Jag.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Densjag, your observations regarding road surfaces are exactly like mine. Relatively fresh road surfaces are much quieter in the Jag. The Lexus is much less sensitive to this, but as Curt said, that might be a function of the active noise canceling which is absent in the Jag.
A quiet ride is a Lexus trademark and they've been great at it for many years. Not sure if it's the noise cancelling but it really doesn't matter, Lexus makes a quality vehicle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your reply. My 2020 Jag actually does have a setting to adjust the sound within the cabin, and I think yours should also.. I saw a video on how they were creating the different types of cabin sound to make the car sound more like a gas vehicle or have a setting for calm sounds.

Unfortunately changing the setting does nothing and the sound is still loud. Today I am going to adjust the suspension and make the car lower to the ground and see if that changes the noise. Can't hurt to give it a try.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My 2020 Jag actually does have a setting to adjust the sound within the cabin, and I think yours should also.. I saw a video on how they were creating the different types of cabin sound to make the car sound more like a gas vehicle or have a setting for calm sounds.

Unfortunately changing the setting does nothing and the sound is still loud. Today I am going to adjust the suspension and make the car lower to the ground and see if that changes the noise. Can't hurt to give it a try.
Unfortunately the sound adjustment has nothing to do with active noise cancellation of sounds intruding into the cabin. As Curt mentioned, tires certainly play a role in road noise. That’s something that can be changed, but looking at the Tire Rack website, there were very few options. In fact, according to Tire Rack, the 20” tires that are currently on our cars are already rated as being quite quiet.

So any noise you hear, depending on the road surface and aside from tire noise, is simply inherent in the degree of sound isolation engineering for road noise. The I-Pace is still quieter than my Tesla was.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ken,
Thanks for the terrific update. I now have a better understanding of the car. So I will forget about the noise and just enjoy owning this unique vehicle.

Stay safe

Dennis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts