Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody.

I am new to this forum and 2 days ago i leased a brand new 2020 iPace SE, Hello everybody!

Here are the events following the decision to lease the car

i signed all the papers etc... in the meantime the dealer detail and charged the car and i drove it home.
The next day I drove the iPace to work and charged it at work for about 3 hours and it worked fine with no issues. I had to stop charging and go home so i decide to charge it at home later on.

The car can't charge ever since, at home when I plug it in it waits in "preparing for Charge" state forever.

So I called the dealership and drove the car there, they have a DC charger and they couldn't charge it also (communication issue according to the DC charger)

A brand new car already have issues, the dealership told me to leave the car with them and they sent me home and told me they will call me next week with information since they don't know what is going on.
I told them I want to cancel the deal since the car is not charging a day after i drove it off the lot, They called Jaguar to ask for advice and Jaguar responded with "fix it" so as of now they will try to fix it and are not willing to cancel the deal.

I think i made a huge mistake getting the iPace, does anyone had the issue I am having? any ideas or advice on what is going on with the car? what are my options?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
I-Pace is a bit quirky with charging. Unless you have a timer set up or the EVSE has a delay mode the I-Pace should start charging as soon as you stop driving and immediately plug in.
If you wait a bit the car goes into a sleep mode and good luck waking it up. The app has a start charging function but that is not always reliable either.
Or maybe your car does have issues. I would expect things to get resolved soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We had no problems, it's been very very solid for us ( 2019 HSE with H264 update) Check the app and the settings that tell the car for time allowed for charging. Also maybe it needs all the software updates. It's a great car , totally amazing. You must have the H264 update .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had no problems, it's been very very solid for us ( 2019 HSE with H264 update) Check the app and the settings that tell the car for time allowed for charging. Also maybe it needs all the software updates. It's a great car , totally amazing. You must have the H264 update .
Yes, they checked that and no setting is preventing from charging.

Do you if your car was updated before leaving the lot?
No.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Do you get it from Stevens Creek?

The dealers need to spend more time updating before releasing these cars

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
Not sure if this would have been the cause, but if you forcibly removed the charging cable without unlocking it first, that will break the clip in the socket of the car and it will no longer be able to charge. This happened to someone else on the board a few months ago. The fix was replacing the socket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if this would have been the cause, but if you forcibly removed the charging cable without unlocking it first, that will break the clip in the socket of the car and it will no longer be able to charge. This happened to someone else on the board a few months ago. The fix was replacing the socket.
I don't think I forcibly removed it, I unlocked the car and pulled the cable out.
Is that mechanism this delicate?

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
It apparently can be done with a moderate amount of force pulling the plug out. If L2 charging then a simple unlock should release the cable. If L3 charging you’d need to unlock 2 or 3 times (depends on if you have 2 stage unlocking enabled). You then have 60 seconds to remove the cable before it relocks.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't think I forcibly removed it, I unlocked the car and pulled the cable out.
It doesn't sound like a big problem IMO.
Can you ask them what updates have been done?

I wouldn't freak out over this, especially cause it's a MY2020

·
Registered
76 Posts
This advice will only be of help in the future since your car is at the dealer. There is a pin that drops down in the charging port when you lock the car each time and retracts when the car is unlocked. If this pin gets bent or stuck in the up position the car will not charge and will go into a perpetual initializing phase. If this is the situation, the charge port receptacle will be replaced and is a fairly quick fix. If it is stuck, my technician used needle nose pliers and pulled it down. When the car then charged he replaced the port. Most likely your service tech checked this. The next in line fix is replacing the wire harness from the port to the battery control module. I believe JLR now just replaces the port, harness, and battery control module which fixes this problem every time. Unfortunately this fix may take some time since the car has to be de-energized of all power before the repair can commence and parts will most likely have to be ordered. Wish you quick recovery from this problem.:crying:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This advice will only be of help in the future since your car is at the dealer. There is a pin that drops down in the charging port when you lock the car each time and retracts when the car is unlocked. If this pin gets bent or stuck in the up position the car will not charge and will go into a perpetual initializing phase. If this is the situation, the charge port receptacle will be replaced and is a fairly quick fix. If it is stuck, my technician used needle nose pliers and pulled it down. When the car then charged he replaced the port. Most likely your service tech checked this. The next in line fix is replacing the wire harness from the port to the battery control module. I believe JLR now just replaces the port, harness, and battery control module which fixes this problem every time. Unfortunately this fix may take some time since the car has to be de-energized of all power before the repair can commence and parts will most likely have to be ordered. Wish you quick recovery from this problem.:crying:
Thanks for the advice.

Honestly, I never thought I will buy a brand new car just to have it back for repairs a day after. Frustrating.
According to California's lemon law they have 30 days to fix the car if they can't I an entitled to a new one. So I guess I have no choice but to wait. Needless to say, this is my first Jaguar and probably my last.

Have a nice weekend everybody and thank you for your help.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I expect the answer is "yes" but I'll ask anyway. Did you press the button/lever on top of the charging connector before pulling the cable from the car?

All charging connectors have a locking mechanism. There's usually a button or a lever on the connector that must be pressed to release from socket. It would take a pull with significant strength to get the cable out of the socket without do that.

I've also experienced cable connectors that have been difficult to get to lock to the car, if at all. The Chargepoint chargers at where I work have all had their cables replaced due to too many people having problems. The new cables work much better.

I can understand your frustration given the significant outlay for the lease. Bear in mind that the cables and sockets all have to meet industry standards, and several manufacturers get the parts from the same suppliers. This is not something I would blame Jaguar for and certainly not worthy of writing of Jaguar for future transportation considerations.

The locking/unlocking can be audibly sensed (except by the audibly challenged). My personal opinion is that the socket standards should have included indicator LED(s) for when the cable lock/unlock state whenever a cable is connected, not just charging status.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I expect the answer is "yes" but I'll ask anyway. Did you press the button/lever on top of the charging connector before pulling the cable from the car?

All charging connectors have a locking mechanism. There's usually a button or a lever on the connector that must be pressed to release from socket. It would take a pull with significant strength to get the cable out of the socket without do that.

I've also experienced cable connectors that have been difficult to get to lock to the car, if at all. The Chargepoint chargers at where I work have all had their cables replaced due to too many people having problems. The new cables work much better.

I can understand your frustration given the significant outlay for the lease. Bear in mind that the cables and sockets all have to meet industry standards, and several manufacturers get the parts from the same suppliers. This is not something I would blame Jaguar for and certainly not worthy of writing of Jaguar for future transportation considerations.

The locking/unlocking can be audibly sensed (except by the audibly challenged). My personal opinion is that the socket standards should have included indicator LED(s) for when the cable lock/unlock state whenever a cable is connected, not just charging status.
Yes, I pressed and pulled. I don't know if I pulled hard or not since that was the only time I ever did that.
If this is a concern (and it looks like it is) I expect the Jaguar dealer to go over this when buying a new car like they spend 20 minutes explaining to me how to connect my phone to the car but no one warned or explained how to charge the car.

You know what, if they fix it in a day or two and in the next 35 months the car will run problem-free I will let this one slide. I have a bad feeling about it as of now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i’ve not had any problems charging, 5k miles in 7 months. plug it in at night it charges, in the morning unlock with fob, press button, remove the cable and i’m good to go. hope they figure out the problem and get it back to you tomorrow!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, I pressed and pulled. I don't know if I pulled hard or not since that was the only time I ever did that.
If this is a concern (and it looks like it is) I expect the Jaguar dealer to go over this when buying a new car like they spend 20 minutes explaining to me how to connect my phone to the car but no one warned or explained how to charge the car.

You know what, if they fix it in a day or two and in the next 35 months the car will run problem-free I will let this one slide. I have a bad feeling about it as of now.
If you pressed and pulled, then that is not the issue. You can't break it using reasonable actions. If you pulled really hard (you't remember that), then maybe.

All electric cars are still going through some growing pains. Have you ever used your home charger before, or was this the first time? I have a home charger break and the result was the eternal initializing... Replaced the charger and that was the end of that issue. They should have tried a second L2 charger as it is a different circuit within the car. Did you try the 120v trickle charger to see if that connected?

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick Update:

I heard back from the service department, their diagnostic is a failed "lock solenoid". (I hope I spelled it correctly).
Anyhow they ordered the part which supposed to arrive tomorrow and I should get my car back tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quick Update:

I heard back from the service department, their diagnostic is a failed "lock solenoid". (I hope I spelled it correctly).
Anyhow they ordered the part which supposed to arrive tomorrow and I should get my car back tomorrow afternoon.
That's good news. That's nothing major

1 - 20 of 26 Posts