Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my i got my I-Pace three weeks ago and have had no issues with home charging (ChargePoint installed in garage). I have charged at home five or six times at varying lengths and it’s been great. Tonight, I’m doing everything as usual but it won’t charge. The car says “Initializing”, the IPace app says “preparing to charge” and the ChargePoint app shows minutes elapsing but no Kw’s added, no miles added.

Last night I needed to charge but forgot. So I plugged in this morning for a partial. When I was leaving, I just pulled the charger out - I didn’t stop the session on the app first. Could this have triggered a problem?

I’ve been messing with it for over and hour. I started the car (drove it) just to try to clear any electrical hangups. I unplugged the cord, flipped the breaker off for a while so the ChargePoint would reset. I tried various locking and unlocking sequences. None of it works.

One other thing I noticed was when I was sitting in the car on the “My EV” screen - there was an icon on the lower right that has a clock face with an electricity bolt on it. This icon is not in the owners manual and it’s not touchscreen active - does anyone know what it means? If it means that the car has a charge session scheduled, could that be why it won’t charge now? I didn’t set any charging times.

This is so frustrating - I’m on 18% and I have a huge day tomorrow, car is essential!

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am Guessing that the car is stuck in a waiting to charging timing state. Make sure you do NOT have a time windows set-up in the car OR the app, if you do delete it. Close and lock the car, come back 10 minutes and unlock and then plug in your charging cable. See if that works

·
Super Moderator
2,349 Posts
I don't have a ChargePoint charger, just a fairly basic 7.2kW cable. It does not start charging when I plug it in .. it requires some locking/unlocking unplugging gymnastics sometimes ...

I would flip the circuit breaker on the ChargePoint and thus reboot it ...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Last night I needed to charge but forgot. So I plugged in this morning for a partial. When I was leaving, I just pulled the charger out - I didn’t stop the session on the app first. Could this have triggered a problem?
Very possible. afaik I-Pace always locks the L2 connector to the vehicle. If you forced it to disconnect you may have damaged the mechanism. I believe the owners manual covers this at least briefly. Not sure if this would cause the charging to stop but definitely an issue.

Otherwise best I can say is to make sure all timers are set for immediate charge. Maybe try to cycle the system by unlocking and putting up the cord, start the car, turn off and try again. This a few times to try for a reboot of the software. Although I assume you have been doing that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very possible. afaik I-Pace always locks the L2 connector to the vehicle. If you forced it to disconnect you may have damaged the mechanism. I believe the owners manual covers this at least briefly. Not sure if this would cause the charging to stop but definitely an issue.

Otherwise best I can say is to make sure all timers are set for immediate charge. Maybe try to cycle the system by unlocking and putting up the cord, start the car, turn off and try again. This a few times to try for a reboot of the software. Although I assume you have been doing that.
Thanks - I checked the manual and that warning has to do with when the car is locked. It says to use the key fob to unlock before disconnecting. When I did it the car was unlocked.

No new development this morning - I tried all the sequencing again and reset the circuit breaker. Still won’t commence charging.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check if you have set two things:
- vehicle preconditioning & departure -> Jaguar Owner Information

- settings of the Vehicle Preconditioning and make sure there is no Proffered Charging Period set.

"Preferred charging period: To set a charge time to benefit from off-peak tariffs when charging. Once selected, touch the up and down arrow keys to manually adjust the time further. The preferred charging period must be activated on the goodbye screen." - it does not matter what chargers you are using

The icon of the plug+Clock indicates vehicle departure is set, what leads to force some periods when charging happen.

Once you will change it, your charging should start immediately. Please check and update this thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check if you have set two things:
- vehicle preconditioning & departure -> Jaguar Owner Information

- settings of the Vehicle Preconditioning and make sure there is no Proffered Charging Period set.

"Preferred charging period: To set a charge time to benefit from off-peak tariffs when charging. Once selected, touch the up and down arrow keys to manually adjust the time further. The preferred charging period must be activated on the goodbye screen." - it does not matter what chargers you are using

The icon of the plug+Clock indicates vehicle departure is set, what leads to force some periods when charging happen.

Once you will change it, your charging should start immediately. Please check and update this thread.
I have confirmed that pre-conditioning is off. The goodbye screen doesn’t indicate any preferred charging times set. Last night, after I tried everything for an hour, I did set a preferred charging time on the remote app - hoping that an after midnight start time might work. It didn’t work, but I don’t know how to reset or remove that - at least not on the app.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried charging at Whole Foods and that didn't work either. One other thing I have noticed is that when I go to pull the cable after letting it try for a while, it comes out very easily - much easier than when it was fully connected for charging. I think the coupling isn't working, possibly from when I pulled it out yesterday. Though again the car was unlocked and from the manual, that appears to be the only warning with respect to disconnecting. For future reference though, I think the best procedure for disconnecting while still taking a charge would be to try to end the session through the EVSE software (can you end a session through the Jag remote app? I'm not sure).

Anyway, I took it to the dealer and now I'm in an E-Pace until they get it resolved.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I tried charging at Whole Foods and that didn't work either. One other thing I have noticed is that when I go to pull the cable after letting it try for a while, it comes out very easily - much easier than when it was fully connected for charging. I think the coupling isn't working, possibly from when I pulled it out yesterday. Though again the car was unlocked and from the manual, that appears to be the only warning with respect to disconnecting. For future reference though, I think the best procedure for disconnecting while still taking a charge would be to try to end the session through the EVSE software (can you end a session through the Jag remote app? I'm not sure).

Anyway, I took it to the dealer and now I'm in an E-Pace until they get it resolved.
If the car is unlocked and if you press the release button on the top of the cable, you should be able to unplug (interrupt the charge) without any negative affect.
You can test the mechanism by plugging in the cable and gently tugging on it without pressing the release button. You should not be able to disconnect the cable without pressing the release button. (of course you can't do this until the car is back from the dealer)

Unfortunately, I have never used the app to set a charge time or pre-conditioning time, but you can call support to get help in removing settings.
The phone number can be found on this page - https://www.jaguarusa.com/incontrol/index.html
The number is 1-(800)-452-4827, Select 9 for customer service. You usually won't have to wait long to be connected.

When you go back to pick up your car, you can also have them call the customer service to correct any settings.

good luck

Reactions: superchuck500

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
303 Posts
When the car starts charging it locks the cable to the car regardless of if the doors are locked. To unlock the cable you have to "unlock" the car by using the key fob or the button on the door handle. If you didn't do that it likely broke the connector locking mechanism.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the car starts charging it locks the cable to the car regardless of if the doors are locked. To unlock the cable you have to "unlock" the car by using the key fob or the button on the door handle. If you didn't do that it likely broke the connector locking mechanism.
Yeah, I suppose that's possible. Growing pains of being a new EV owner I suppose.

Though I think that's calling for a design adjustment, if the owner can approach the unlocked car to disengage the charging cord and in the process render the car useless beyond the range of the current charge until a new locking mechanism is installed. If it's that susceptible to damage from what doesn't strike me as unreasonable owner behavior, that factor should at least be heavily stressed at the time of delivery. But redesign would be better. If the car is unlocked, the charging and locking mechanism should disengage when the owner pushes the button down to release the locking mechanism. Having to unlock it with the key-fob's door unlock function (when the owner thinks the doors are already unlocked) is confusing.

If the owner is concerned about tampering (perhaps at a public charging station) the owner should lock the car. If it's all tied to the unlock process, it should all be locked or unlocked at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
Yeah, I suppose that's possible. Growing pains of being a new EV owner I suppose.

Though I think that's calling for a design adjustment, if the owner can approach the unlocked car to disengage the charging cord and in the process render the car useless beyond the range of the current charge until a new locking mechanism is installed. If it's that susceptible to damage from what doesn't strike me as unreasonable owner behavior, that factor should at least be heavily stressed at the time of delivery. But redesign would be better. If the car is unlocked, the charging and locking mechanism should disengage when the owner pushes the button down to release the locking mechanism. Having to unlock it with the key-fob's door unlock function (when the owner thinks the doors are already unlocked) is confusing.

If the owner is concerned about tampering (perhaps at a public charging station) the owner should lock the car. If it's all tied to the unlock process, it should all be locked or unlocked at the same time.
If you broke the cable lock without realizing it, you had a defective car. I had someone yanking at the cable with all their might and it didn’t break.

The charging coupling behaves oddly as far as I’m concerned. If you unlock it there is only a short window in which you can disconnect before it locks again. When I first got my car I used the emergency release cable because I couldn’t figure it out!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The whole locking behaviour makes sense in Europe where the cable comes with the car (you carry your own cable and plug it into the charging station, so it could be stolen if not locked). Here in the US it doesn't make as much sense except to "prevent" malicious unplugging which is not exactly rampant.

As far as not charging: the lock may be broken but have you tried plugging in the charger, removing, and then plugging it in with a little force? For a little bit when I wouldn't push hard enough the light would turn no but charging would not start, but after a couple of more forceful plug ins that got much better. Its worth a quick try.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
My I-Pace is at Hilton Head Jaguar with the same issue of unable to charge as of May 21. A technical ticket has gone forward to help determine the cause of the problem. I look forward to reading how your I-Pace was fixed. I will also write the corrective action taken on my I-Pace for future reference for other members. I just joined the I-Pace Forum today and have already gained a great deal of insight!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My I-Pace is at Hilton Head Jaguar with the same issue of unable to charge as of May 21. A technical ticket has gone forward to help determine the cause of the problem. I look forward to reading how your I-Pace was fixed. I will also write the corrective action taken on my I-Pace for future reference for other members. I just joined the I-Pace Forum today and have already gained a great deal of insight!
I had the same problem. They tried several things at first, software updates, replacing the charging port, and finally replaced the battery control module. That seemed to do the trick. I had several other issues which resulted in a buy back, but JLR was fair and acted quickly. Good luck with the repair.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I had the same problem. They tried several things at first, software updates, replacing the charging port, and finally replaced the battery control module. That seemed to do the trick. I had several other issues which resulted in a buy back, but JLR was fair and acted quickly. Good luck with the repair.
Thanks for this information. I will provide all of this to the dealership to help them determine the cause of the inability to charge my I-Pace. I will keep everyone up to date on the resolution of this issue. It does seem as though there may be a fault in the protocol for charging, since it seems to vary at times as most have expressed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To update my situation, the dealer tech determined to replace the charging receptacle actuator. The part arrived yesterday. If that's the correct diagnosis and fix, I'm still leaning to the theory that I damaged the charging connection by not properly ending charging and removing the cord.

I'll need to be more thoughtful about that going forward.

·
Registered
427 Posts
To update my situation, the dealer tech determined to replace the charging receptacle actuator. The part arrived yesterday. If that's the correct diagnosis and fix, I'm still leaning to the theory that I damaged the charging connection by not properly ending charging and removing the cord.

I'll need to be more thoughtful about that going forward.
Honestly Surperchuck500, I doubt you broke it. It takes a huge amount of effort to break the locking mechanism. There are plenty of parts problems that affect a small number of owners. A defective actuator is a real possibility.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Honestly Surperchuck500, I doubt you broke it. It takes a huge amount of effort to break the locking mechanism. There are plenty of parts problems that affect a small number of owners. A defective actuator is a real possibility.
Yeah. We've plugged and unplugged our cords hundreds of times among different cars, all without damage, and we're not exactly gentle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts