Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m waiting for the tow truck that Jaguar Roadside has dispatched. I’m about an hour and a half from home so having to find a rental. I was told not to bring it to the dealer in Columbia where I’m stranded, so I had to call Jaguar Roadside back and change the drop off. This is the second time I got stranded, first one was my fault and this one not so much. Car just turned over 29,000 miles and I just ordered a new set of tires, hopefully I’ll still need them.
What happened was I pulled in at 20%. Was only going to charge to 50%. At about 45% I used the Jag app to precondition car for a 5 minute departure. After about 3 or 4 minutes it made a large bang and the car shook, I thought someone had hit me while parked and charging. I unplugged the charger and it continued to act as if car was still plugged up, as it was financially charging me. Called Electrify America and they were very nice but we’ll see. Anyway battery traction fault light and 12 volt battery went bonkers, no door locks, brakes pulsating, and general weird stuff. I’ll let you know what Greenville Jaguar says. Hopefully nothing major, but the loud bang concerns me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not sure if there are any big capacitors under there somewhere. We make some power electronics stuff with 12" dial x 3" capacitors and when one goes, the neighbours hear it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sorry, no clue on my side. Does not seem to be a very frequent issue. First time I heard this story.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,522 Posts
Wonder if 12V starter battery exploded depending on the definition of "bonkers" is. Unlikely the 12V AGM auxiliary battery would It would be evident if the frunk center trim panel were to be removed for inspection.

No pyro fuses but a lot of fuses. A blowing fuse wouldn't shake the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder if 12V starter battery exploded depending on the definition of "bonkers" is. Unlikely the 12V AGM auxiliary battery would It would be evident if the frunk center trim panel were to be removed for inspection.

No pyro fuses but a lot of fuses. A blowing fuse wouldn't shake the car.
Had to jump off 12 volt to get car on flatbed transport and saw no damage. Noise came from back of car. After unplugging and then attempting to drive I had the battery traction fault.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Well, that enlightens us to the fact that you've experienced the dreaded dead 12V starter battery. That battery is important to the car's control modules and causes a lot of misdirection messages and affects occur when that dies. Hopefully that is the worst of it.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
61 Posts
I wonder if the bang had something to do with the automatic parking brake. It depends on the auxiliary battery and can act strange at low state of charge.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if the bang had something to do with the automatic parking brake. It depends on the auxiliary battery and can act strange at low state of charge.
I believe the loud bang caused the 12 volt battery to drain down. After the bang, the warning flashers, brake pulsating, and a cycling or pulsating noise from the right rear of the car started. I think the iPace tech has been on vacation this week and the car has just been sitting at the dealer. Plan on going in Monday and request again a loaner and an update. I’ll update when I know more.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer has now had car since 11/2, about 2 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately they still don’t know what’s wrong. Looks like I’m calling Jaguar, seems some of you have taken the same course. I need to find out about reimbursement for the rental car that I required to get home also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My iPace has now been in shop since November 2nd. I’ve contacted JLR NA and they’ve been no help. Car has been in service since January 2020 and has 30000 miles, so I think I’m at their mercy. I’ve seen several other owners on the forum who have resorted to lemon laws, but think I’m shut out of that recourse. Give dealer some credit, they did give me a loaner.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Wow so sorry to hear. It is frustrating indeed. I just don't understand HOW they can't diagnose a problem with remote support in this period of time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Week 5. Dealer thinks the BCM was what imploded, but they haven’t located or ordered part. They’re not sure if something upstream caused the problem or just swap out the bad BCM. Pretty weak service/support. Not sure if it’s dearer or JLR but I‘m appreciative of having this forum as a communication network. Keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Hmmm. "thinks"? Any failure like an "implosion" would either set a number of fault codes or make the imploded module MIA during a scan. There should be no guessing.

You've got to love acronyms when working on these cats.

BCM is body control module. BCM is also married to the GWM (Gateway module). It's the hub of the networks in the car. The car would be nearly (if not totally) unusable without it.

BCCM is battery charge control module. But the location is wrong. This is in the front of the car.

BECM (battery energy control module) or BEM (Battery Energy Module) might make sense as these are located on top of/part of the traction battery at the rear.

There are some high voltage and high amp fuses involved in the car. Have they ruled out all of them? Of course, I'd wonder what caused one of those to blow if any were found.

I'm hoping they can fix it soon for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Week 5. Dealer thinks the BCM was what imploded, but they haven’t located or ordered part. They’re not sure if something upstream caused the problem or just swap out the bad BCM. Pretty weak service/support. Not sure if it’s dearer or JLR but I‘m appreciative of having this forum as a communication network. Keep you posted.
So frustrating that it’s been there for 5 weeks and the still haven’t figured it out or ordered parts. Maddening.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Week 7 and no contact with anyone. Missing my I-Pace but I’ve put over a thousand miles on my F-Pace loaner. The $50 fill ups hurt. I’ll keep you all informed. We should do a survey, “How long was your car in the shop”. From what I’ve read 7 weeks is nothing!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
7 weeks. I expected to see it torn apart. They haven’t removed the tow hook on rear bumper, COME ON! So I went inside and spoke to the general manager. They are swamped with cars in the service area and I do understand (to a point) why have a car torn down & occupying a bay when you don’t have the parts. But…we’ll see what the GM can do.
Wheel Car Sky Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I understand your frustration and wish it could get repaired sooner rather than later.

What is the relevance of not removing the tow hook? Removing it is not required for the repair. Besides, they probably just push the car into/out of the shop as required if it isn't movable on its own.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts